2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving to work the other day, on my normal hour commute when I decided to stop for some Wawa. I got out, got in my car, started it, went to back out, and the car felt odd. I drove to the exit, and realized I was low on power. I was able to pull into the street and get back to the parking lot safely. I noticed I had a check engine light, and the car had power, but just enough to move the car.

I turned it off, tried turning it back on, and it was still low with a check engine. I got out, checked all the connections, didn't see anything wrong, removed the engine cover, and still saw nothing wrong. I just touched the connections and "pushed them tight" just for my peace of mind.

I got back in the car, started it up, and had a full powerband, but still had a CEL. I drove it to work without issue, then back home for hte hour drive, no issues.

I removed the negative terminal for several minutes, put it back on, and CEL was gone, and hasn't come back in the few hundred miles since.

Anyone else have issues like this? Only mod is a JBR intake. I didn't see any gas drops after the CEL, everything else is back to normal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
you shouldn't have pulled the negative. You should have scanned it to see what the CEL code was. Maybe try to scan it now if it's still there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My worry with that is that with it still in warranty, what are the repercussions of taking it in with the SRI? Or should I put the stock box back on and then take it in for a scan? I don't think I have anyone local with a scanner for it.

Of 11 cars, this is my first financed/warranty car, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of the life.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My worry with that is that with it still in warranty, what are the repercussions of taking it in with the SRI? Or should I put the stock box back on and then take it in for a scan? I don't think I have anyone local with a scanner for it.

Of 11 cars, this is my first financed/warranty car, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of the life.
You can buy an OBDII cable for like $10. Plug that bad boy into your laptop with free software and check yourself. Also most autozone's or car part shops will let you use theirs for free (car repair shops will charge you).

Does seem odd, never had a problem like that before, I'm not going to speculate because it could of been a million different things.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
One, they would have to prove that the SRI caused the problem. Two, if you are that worried, it's only a matter of minutes to re-install the stock air box.

Also most autopart stores will read the code for you for free. I'd start there if it happens again, and then think about taking it in. Doesn't sound like a problem that a SRI would cause though, especially since you bought a reputable one and not an ebay one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
get torque app ! just need a smartphone and a bluetooth dongle to plug into your OBD II connector

1 - 11 of 11 Posts