2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, it's me again with the 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 A/T. So the car only has 10k miles total but I've noticed that sometimes the car doesn't shift how I would imagine it to shift considering its age. Basically, between what I imagine is 2nd-3rd gear (20-30mph) it doesn't seem like it's accelerating samooth. Then all the sudden it feels as if it "shifts" near 30mph and acceleration returns. This only sometimes happens, especially when barely any pressure is being applied to the throttle. Anyone have ideas? Maybe a list of when the transmission is supposed to shift (rpm's, mph etc...)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey, it's me again with the 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 A/T. So the car only has 10k miles total but I've noticed that sometimes the car doesn't shift how I would imagine it to shift considering its age. Basically, between what I imagine is 2nd-3rd gear (20-30mph) it doesn't seem like it's accelerating samooth. Then all the sudden it feels as if it "shifts" near 30mph and acceleration returns. This only sometimes happens, especially when barely any pressure is being applied to the throttle. Anyone have ideas? Maybe a list of when the transmission is supposed to shift (rpm's, mph etc...)
IIRC, the FW6A-EL is a rather complicated piece of tech since it combines a classic torque converter with planetary gears (a classic auto transmission) and also is equipped with a mechanized clutch that bridges the torque converter under certain condition, thus eliminating the inherent power-eating and fuel-eating converter slip.

When the transmission shifts and uses its converter over the clutch (or the other way around) depends on a lot of input sensors, like accelerator angle and its differential in angular change, the car's pitch, the speed you're at, enabled or disabled cruise control and others. The TCU (transmission control unit) is pretty sophisticated in that regard. There are no fixed values, the transmission rather runs off a characteristics mapping like an ECU does.

What you describe sounds like an operational state where you initially run through the converter (slow acceleration even with increasing revs) and then the clutch is being applied for a no-slip acceleration. Try faster acceleration and you should be fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC, the FW6A-EL is a rather complicated piece of tech since it combines a classic torque converter with planetary gears (a classic auto transmission) and also is equipped with a mechanized clutch that bridges the torque converter under certain condition, thus eliminating the inherent power-eating and fuel-eating converter slip.

When the transmission shifts and uses its converter over the clutch (or the other way around) depends on a lot of input sensors, like accelerator angle and its differential in angular change, the car's pitch, the speed you're at, enabled or disabled cruise control and others. The TCU (transmission control unit) is pretty sophisticated in that regard. There are no fixed values, the transmission rather runs off a characteristics mapping like an ECU does.

What you describe sounds like an operational state where you initially run through the converter (slow acceleration even with increasing revs) and then the clutch is being applied for a no-slip acceleration. Try faster acceleration and you should be fine.
Yeah when I have harder acceleration the transmission runs through the gears all perfectly but with my foot barely on it has its troubles. Thanks for the input! I'll put a little more pressure on the pedal from now on. :grin2:

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quite an impressive system. Provides such an awesome ride with appropriate power control. Definitely a car that like to Zoom Zoom. Sport mode rocks, and the sticking in gear around turns is sweet.

Only issue i have is if i am manually changing gears and press on the accelerator so the downshift button is depressed it drops down 2 gears. :surprise:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts