2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some kind of weather and heat\cold resistant mat material that I can put between a license plate + frame and the car to protect the paint and prevent rattles.

Any suggestions?

Background - these are the frames I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXDZI0E/

Unfortunately, they have two tabs across the bottom to hold the plate in place. These tabs stick out enough that they would rest against the car and I'm sure over time would burrow into the paint. The steel is too hard to bend these tabs. Also the license plates are smaller than the frames and slightly curved horizontally so that they don't fit snugly into the bottom of the frame.

I'm hoping some kind of padding material will help resolve these issues.

Thanks!

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Sorry I do not, but what I use (and for literally 1,000 uses), is black Gorilla duct tape. I just make above four layers thick in each corner, maybe 1" X 1" -- but size doesn't matter. It's $8.47 at Walmart. This duct tape will stick and stick and stick, for years and years in the weather.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gorilla-Tape-35yd-Black/15160329?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222017261256&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=t&wl3=10356590568&wl4=kwd-1103080765982&wl12=15160329_0&wl14=black gorilla tape&veh=sem

Or if you wish something that would also work well, e.g., Gorilla, two-sided tape that is weather resistant. It will also stop rattles. $6.04 for the roll.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HT1U9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
353 Posts
You could put a gob of Goop (thick silicone cement that doesn't dry completely hard) at the back corners and onto the back of the screws/nuts. Just let it dry overnight before putting the plate and frame back in place.

Ralph

·
Registered
245 Posts
Between plate and frame: Use double-stick foam tape to prevent metal-to-metal contact and rattles. Looks like the frames you got are thin around the edges, but you can cut the tape into thin strips and put it around the inner part of the frame. If you don't want the plate and frame stuck together, then you don't even have to remove the backing from one side of the adhesive. Just stick it inside the frame, leave the backing on the other side, and place your plate. It will still prevent rattles.

Between plate/frame and car: Option 1: A roll of self-adhesive neoprene rubber or PVC weatherstrip (make sure it's "closed-cell" so it won't absorb water). Cut strips to length and place around the back edge of your frame/plate. Option 2: Get a pack of those little rubber bumpers that are used for cabinet doors or on the backs of photo frames to keep them from scratching the walls. Place them around the back of your plate/frame. Either option should prevent rattles and scratches and should be less than $5 and take only a few minutes to install.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I ended up using an industrial Felt I found on amazon. The back has a peel off sticky and the front is soft.
I haven't had any problems, and I know its still there because I don't have rattles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
First thing I've done with any car I've ever bought is buy adhesive felt pads, cut out the centers, and stick them to the plate with the felt on the paint before screwing the plate on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts