• Road noise

Votes: 467 49.6%
  • No air vents or power outlets for the back seats

Votes: 246 26.1%
741 - 760 of 760 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
1) However, it sounds like you haven't figured out how to adjust it at all;
Yeah, I figured that out pretty quickly. However, I fiddle with my volume quite often, sometimes I turn it up way loud and other times it's quiet depending on my mood and the music. It's weird to expect that I should have to adjust my nav volume to match that every time, and the controls to do that are buried in a menu. Waiting until Nav Lady is speaking means I'll either miss part of the instruction because she's too quiet or be blasted out because she's too loud. Nav volume should be adjustable, but stay relative to overall volume.

2) I think what you may be missing here is that the automatic headlights also control the high-beams.
Automatic High Beams are part of the Super-Mega-Equipment package (with the radar guided cruise control and lane departure warning system etc) which I don't have on my car (But I'm starting to regret not getting.) However what I have noticed is that the fog lights aren't part of the DRLs, and they turn off with high beams. So the only time the fogs come on is with regular headlights. So the switch and the "auto" headlights actually do something, but it's not "Turn the headlights on (or make them brighter) when it gets dark enough." It's "turn on the fog lights, high beam control, and auto-leveling/active light control systems"

I also noticed that the thresholds for "headlights on" and "dash to night mode" aren't the same. So sometimes the headlights come on but the dash is still in Day mode. It happens in tunnels and overpasses a lot. This sort of behavior isn't necessarily bad, but there's no explanation of it anywhere and so it's quite unexpected.

There's a growing problem in which people who have cars where the dash stays lit all the time don't turn on their headlights when it gets dark. They drive at night on their DRLs because "Hey there's light coming from the front and my dash is lit up so my headlights must be on." When the dash lighting behaves unexpectedly or in a way to that doesn't assure the driver that the lights come on when they should, it causes confusion and could lead to people getting tickets or into accidents because of it.

3) The only way to "fix" this is to put automatic liftgate openers in, like minivans and SUVs have,
I don't want it to open automatically. I don't want it to open fully. I would simply like a hatch popper like most sedans have trunk poppers that just opens the thing past the point where it auto-latches. Surely slightly beefier struts would do that? Also, I haven't figured out what the conditions are yet, but the hatch button doesn't work while I'm in the car at all. I had a security guard the other day who knew where the button was, but pushing it did nothing. It may be that the car has to be in Park with the PBrake set for it to work. I got out and it opened right up (much to the frustration and annoyance of the guards for disrupting their routine).

· Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
I don't want it to open automatically. I don't want it to open fully. I would simply like a hatch popper like most sedans have trunk poppers that just opens the thing past the point where it auto-latches. Surely slightly beefier struts would do that? Also, I haven't figured out what the conditions are yet, but the hatch button doesn't work while I'm in the car at all. I had a security guard the other day who knew where the button was, but pushing it did nothing. It may be that the car has to be in Park with the PBrake set for it to work. I got out and it opened right up (much to the frustration and annoyance of the guards for disrupting their routine).
If you have auto lock enabled you almost certainly have to either put it in park or push the unlock button for the hatch to open. The hatch does lock with all the other doors so you need to unlock it before you can make the switch work.

· Registered
2 Posts
What i don't like is when it rains, and there is water on/around the windshield, it makes a lot of noise at highway speeds. I think it is the water in the channels around the windshield and maybe on roof. anyone else have this? 2014 mazda3.

· Registered
722 Posts
If you have auto lock enabled you almost certainly have to either put it in park or push the unlock button for the hatch to open. The hatch does lock with all the other doors so you need to unlock it before you can make the switch work.
Unless you have the fob in your pocket, then you can open and close it with the alarm on.

· Registered
151 Posts
Beep

I don't think anyone is going to decide whether to acknowledge a horn or not based on its sound or dB level. The few times I have used my horn I can tell the other driver acknowledged my presence based on their reaction to it. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I don't sweat these things.
2010 Mazda3 here. It has a single horn, but more expensive cars have dual horns for a high and low tone. That's what gives it gravitas rather than pure decibels. Mazda is heading upmarket, so vehicles larger than MZ3 really deserve dual horns (maybe they have already?). I think there's a sticky post somewhere describing a mod to add dual horns.

That said, the Mazda3 horn works, and is cheerful.

· Registered
413 Posts
Road noise, a mix and match of good and cheap interior materials. Brakes are mediocre.

I also wish there was a lockable glovebox.
Agree on the brakes. They are weak. I think the 17 may have addressed this. I drove a 17 and the brakes had more initial bite.

· Registered
413 Posts
Agree on the brakes. They are weak. I think the 17 may have addressed this. I drove a 17 and the brakes had more initial bite.
I have a MY17 Mazda but never drove the previous model years. It's alright but not as sharp as I want it to be.
Extra points if anyone knows if Mazda changed the pads for the 17. Different part number?

· Registered
36 Posts
I've had my 2.5 Touring for about a month and about 750mi. Two things I don't like:

TPMS is the worst I've seen - don't get info for each tire (actually, I don't think it knows the psi, just a differential), and it must be initialized even if you just adjust one of the tire pressures. Anyway, much better systems out there:frown2:.

When sun is pretty much overhead, there's quite a glare reflected onto the windshield from the top of the dash. Maybe I'll get used to it, but annoying for now.

Agree that the brakes are a little weak.

Great little car, otherwise.

· Registered
277 Posts
When sun is pretty much overhead, there's quite a glare reflected onto the windshield from the top of the dash. Maybe I'll get used to it, but annoying for now.
That's a problem with steeply-raked windshields. I've used a black cotton towel to get rid of the glare, draping it over the entire dash after the HUD has raised. It's not the best looking solution, but it works and it noticeably reduces the heat inside the car.

Once it was released, I bought a Covercraft Original DashMat Custom Dash Cover (2038-01-25 - $36) in black, and it does a pretty good job as well.

· Registered
36 Posts
Once it was released, I bought a Covercraft Original DashMat Custom Dash Cover (2038-01-25 - $36) in black, and it does a pretty good job as well.
Thanks for the info. I've visited their site (and others) and can't seem to find a photo of it installed on a M3. Could you take a quick photo and post it? No big deal if you can't.

Also, do you fasten it down, or just place it on the dash?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
115 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
Could you take a quick photo and post it? No big deal if you can't.

Also, do you fasten it down, or just place it on the dash?
I don't fasten it down, as you can see in the photos below. The fit's not perfect, but it does what I need. IIRC, Covercraft sent velcro strips along with which to do that - I chose not to use them. I've done it the other way on other cars, and it can definitely help ensure that you've got the cover fitted perfectly over the vents, speakers, et al.

· Registered
413 Posts
For some reason I feel wind a lot and feel overall unstable driving over 80mph, especially downhill.
The car mags and my dealer have mentioned the car is twitchy and is not the best on-center by design. The rear wheel have a lot of camber I believe to help with cornering.

· Registered
9 Posts
2017 5door touring

Smart city brake support camera module above rearview mirror obstructs view.
No 12 volt under the climate controls (for a dash cam).
Cannot roll down windows unless double press start button and turn ignition on.
No android auto.
Dash reflects on windshield.
Hate the cargo cover. I took it out. If anybody wants to buy it hit me up.
TPMS does not show tire pressures.

· Registered
36 Posts
2017 5door touring

Smart city brake support camera module above rearview mirror obstructs view.
No 12 volt under the climate controls (for a dash cam).
Cannot roll down windows unless double press start button and turn ignition on.
No android auto.
Dash reflects on windshield.
Hate the cargo cover. I took it out. If anybody wants to buy it hit me up.
TPMS does not show tire pressures.
Agree completely on "Dash reflects on windshield" and "TPMS does not show pressures"

· Registered
722 Posts
Agree completely on "Dash reflects on windshield" and "TPMS does not show pressures"
Excessive road noise (2017 model) is my main complaint. I fixed the windscreen reflection by placing soft black felt on top of the dashboard in front of the driver.

741 - 760 of 760 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.