2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else using Waze?

It's a crowd-sourced navi app for your smartphone (Apple IOS and Android versions are available, possibly others as well) that updates in real time. Accidents, closures, construction, speed traps, etc., all show up on your maps once they're reported by other users (of which there are surprisingly many).

It saved me a probable ticket today, since a stretch of road where I commonly do around 70mph (it's a 55mph posted area) had a cop warning on it, alerting me in plenty of time and allowing me to spot him hiding in a used car lot so I could wave as I smoothed on by...

It's free, and should be worth a look to anyone who drives.

The developer has also "gamified" the app somewhat to encourage people to use it and to participate in reporting things, which really does make you want to join in.

Reactions: xavtov

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i use it when im need to get to point b faster.... its a good app driving around and across downtown :D it never fails to get you out or around traffic jams in rush hour. just dont forget to change the setting to avoid dirt roads cause the last time i forgot it thought i was riding a horse to make me pass on an off road mountain side route. :D

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
It's a great navi app, now owned by Google, Google maps will also show traffic info from Waze, that's how we first found out about Waze. While stuck in a motorway jam.

It would be great if Waze found itself compatible with the Mazda infotainment system, but for now I'll just stick to hoping and dreaming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use it even when I know where I'm going. The times that I ignored the suggested route, I've ended up in pretty nasty jams. Waze also has a feature that allows you to text a link to someone so they can track your progress to your destination. I use it to avoid the where you at text's and calls when meeting up with friends.

One thing I'm not a big fan of is pronunciation of street names. In San Antonio and Austin, there are a lot of Spanish street names, and I've heard some downright comical pronunciations from Waze. Google navigation seems to handle pronunciation much better at this point, but maybe Waze will improve now that Google has a stake in Waze.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Austin mangling Spanish street names is kind of the norm, though. Only in Austin does a road named Manchaca get pronounced - by EVERYBODY - as "MAN-Chack". Guadalupe is "GWODD-uh-loop", etc.

Not sure Waze could do it any worse. :)

It has been wonderful showing me all the hidden cops lately, and they are on a tear around here. Must be quota time.

I don't really speed much, but it's good to have an alert just to be on the safe side, and hey, if it means that more people are in compliance with the law, that's kind of the idea behind law enforcement, right? I mean, they most definitely ARE NOT writing tickets to get revenue, according to them... ;)

Reactions: xavtov

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use Waze all the time and love it. I even use it going back and forth to work because it has routed me around hidden traffic jams that would have made me late for work. And then there are those cop warnings too but you can use it as a fail safe because it only works if another Waze user has spotted the cop.

There have been a couple times I tagged a cop just as he was pulling in to setup to check for speeders. LOL

·
Registered
279 Posts
You're too late to the zombie thread.

Waze is a victim of it's own success. There's so many users that it creates its own traffic jams on alternate routes, and on holidays the servers slow down too much to be useful, especially for long trips. It's even less useful for spotting cops around NYC, because so many people have waze that you can tell where the cops are by how traffic slows down. Some towns are posting "no through traffic" signs to keep wazers out of neighborhoods too.

I want an app that spoofs waze to tell everyone there is stop dead traffic between me and wherever I want to go. That would be really useful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the zombie thread!

I still use it because it works great for me. I have lots of friends that use it too.

Enforcing no through traffic in towns can be hard to enforce unless the person has an out of state plate. How would the police know if you are going through the town or live there unless they follow you all the way through town.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3.5 years later, and I'm still loving the Waze app. I have yet to be surprised by a speed trap I didn't know about, I've received zero tickets, and I've come to rely on Waze on a daily basis. Between that and my trusty Valentine detector, I feel just about bullet-proof. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts