2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever replace the stock coolant with a waterless coolant such as Evans ?
Do they make a waterless coolant for our new skyactiv 3's?

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Do you live in Antarctica? Wouldn't use waterless coolant, good way to overheat the engine. Haha.

EDIT: Looked it up. Um, must be some new chemical that acts like a 50/50 mix.. I don't know how but that's interesting.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
it's like race oil, it only helps in extreme use (assuming you have an SA) if your tracking in desert at long intervals or live in constant sub zero temperatures. it really wouldn't do you any good in normal driving, except take a chunk out of your wallet. if extra cooling is your goal, it would be more effective to get a larger radiator core.

The normal 50% mix green stuff works really well for just about everything.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the benefits as being that there is no water in it whatsoever to be that water will rust internals of water pump radiator and other components in the cooling system.
Its more expensive(40 bucks a gallon) but you never have to change it and the boiling point is something around 275 celcuis approx. Read up about the details on the website
here is a link to the website
Coolants Engine Cooling Systems

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
I saw the benefits as being that there is no water in it whatsoever to be that water will rust internals of water pump radiator and other components in the cooling system.
the iron content inside the Mazda motors are very low everything is aluminum, plastic or rubber, so the anti-rust chemicals in normal anti-freeze will be fine. if there is any steel in there at all.you will likely find 300 grade SS in there.
Its more expensive(40 bucks a gallon) but you never have to change it and the boiling point is something around 275 celcuis approx.
changing it every 5 or so years is still cheaper than buying that stuff once.
depending on radiator cap pressure rating and % of your mix you can get a boiling temp to 265F, again if you have larger radiator you will not get that high. ( my Honda s2k with a kyo radiator never got over 218 F in 118 F ambient temp at the track running normal 50/50 mix)

Read up about the details on the website
here is a link to the website
Coolants Engine Cooling Systems
it's your money, so buy what you want, but this fluid has no real befitting features for a daily driver unless you want spend a boat load of money to never change it again, but the cost negates any savings.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the iron content inside the Mazda motors are very low everything is aluminum, plastic or rubber, so the anti-rust chemicals in normal anti-freeze will be fine. if there is any steel in there at all.you will likely find 300 grade SS in there.

changing it every 5 or so years is still cheaper than buying that stuff once.
depending on radiator cap pressure rating and % of your mix you can get a boiling temp to 265F, again if you have larger radiator you will not get that high. ( my Honda s2k with a kyo radiator never got over 218 F in 118 F ambient temp at the track running normal 50/50 mix)

it's your money, so buy what you want, but this fluid has no real befitting features for a daily driver unless you want spend a boat load of money to never change it again, but the cost negates any savings.
Well its not a boat load of money. 40 bucks a gallon maybe 3 or 4 gallons times 40 a gallon plus labour maybe 300 dollars.

Just thought i would post this for info incase someone had a vehicle that they drive hard and never want to change the coolant ever again.

anyways oh the boiling point of the product is 375 degrees farenheit

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That's ridiculous. Regular green works just fine lol

Maybe throw some water wetter in there if it helps you sleep but 40 dollar coolant seems really unnecessary

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said before it is interesting to read about this. Ya I'm sure for a 20 something thousand dollar car it's overkill. But whatever

·
LuegSkywalker
9 Posts
Well, it's good for the environment and it's non-toxic which is not trivial to us dog owners.

It also doesn't require an overflow bottle since it doesn't change in pressure when it heats up to normal operating temperature which also makes life easier on your hoses. It's like having the advantages of water- and air-cooling. It's practically maintenance free. I think cars should start to come stock with this stuff.

If you're planning on keeping your car a while, it's definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you're coolant is boiling over, then you have a bigger problem, and NO coolant is going to stop that.

I think that's all that needs to be said really.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts