2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a 2017 Mazda 3, which I'm in love with. However, the one thing that bothers me is not being able to see water temperature and oil pressure. I've noticed there aren't any gauge pods out for the Gen3 right now, so a custom gauge pod would probably have to be fabbed up (not a big deal). But has anyone successfully ran the extra gauges before? Not being able to see how my oil and water are doing in this Texas heat really bothers me :/

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Get an OBD based gauge pod. You can read and display all of the sensors that are monitored by the ECU. There are phone based apps that can do this with a wireless dongle and actual gauges such as Scangauge that plug into the OBD port.

Unfortunately, some things like oil temp are not monitored on this car.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that sucks that oil temp/pressure isn't monitored. Maybe it's just the older cars I've dealt with but I'd much rather have a gauge tell me if I've had a sudden drop in oil pressure vs. just starting to hear an engine knock.

But i'll definitely look into this scangauge thing, thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, that sucks that oil temp/pressure isn't monitored. Maybe it's just the older cars I've dealt with but I'd much rather have a gauge tell me if I've had a sudden drop in oil pressure vs. just starting to hear an engine knock.

But i'll definitely look into this scangauge thing, thanks!
Don't sweat it, the oil light will come on just before the motor locks up! I use the Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 EOBD Scanner Scan Tool Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android, $18 and the DashCmd application to monitor coolant and intake temperature as well as vacuum, Speed and RPM. Oil pressure is not an option

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts