2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
wow, that looks pretty serious. I wonder if some silicone could help seal it unless this because an issue Mazda addresses. that could also be a problem for those that have rear cameras and what not as it is mounted directly below that point.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh boy... I know he was spraying water in weird angle, but that's way too much water dripping from the strut. Something to look out for come spring season... thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Let me see if I can send an email to Mazda USA about this. Unfortunately we need more people to complain. 2 isn't going to be enough.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My brother this spring going to remove the inner liner and see what is going on. He said that he thinks there is a guide hole where the rear spoiler sets in that may be to big. It should have a rubber grommet that the spoiler sets in.

HE SAID THIS IS VERY BAD...HE SEEs A TSB SOON IF ENOUGH COMPLAIN. In the mean time leave the hatch up for about 10 min after a rain or wash to drain it.

SORRY I GOT A FIRST YEAR OUT NOW cause rust and Mazda go hand in hand.

To test this after a rain or wash let it dry on the OUTSIDE. when you are sure the outside is dry, open her up and check for water.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

I was very concerned about this so my brother looked into this right away

here is the parts list. You will see in the area where the man forces the water in, there is a clip and no denying it, a hole for the clip.

Well you can see, THERE IS A PROBLEM. If you use a forceful water stream, it will go in.:argh 1:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Actually my thought was water is going into that little channel under the glass area where it's being collected because that's where it seems like water is coming out of when I open the hatch. If you look at the corner you can see the opening, maybe that's where the issue is?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My brother is going to remove the whole thing and see what is going on. I will share this when done. With pics too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I swear there was a thread on this already, but I'm not sure what forum.

It was noted there are drain holes at the bottom of the hatch that will drain most water that may go into that gap. The problem with this video is they are forcing water into the gap at a much higher rate and pressure than the car would normally encounter. The water likely can't drain out the bottom very quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My car has that problem too. At first I thought it was normal so I didn't really pay attention until I saw this post!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, that looks pretty serious. I wonder if some silicone could help seal it unless this because an issue Mazda addresses. that could also be a problem for those that have rear cameras and what not as it is mounted directly below that point.
To fix this, remove the rear spoiler as per service manual, and apply silicone in the side clip hole on each side in the black side skirts area . This is the only fix. In the mean time open hatch for a while until water stops.

There is a hole under the spoiler side skirt a clip goes in. The clip is suppose to have a foam ring on it, but my brother said May not be making a good seal in cold weather, or may dry out over time.

Another way to check it, remover inner trim to expose the area and check it after a rain or car wash....:no:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I swear there was a thread on this already, but I'm not sure what forum.

It was noted there are drain holes at the bottom of the hatch that will drain most water that may go into that gap. The problem with this video is they are forcing water into the gap at a much higher rate and pressure than the car would normally encounter. The water likely can't drain out the bottom very quickly.
You're right about that drain hole.

My car was outside during some pretty nasty weather. 2 inches or more of rain. I popped the hatch the day after that storm and everything appeared dry. I looked at the bottom lip of the hatch door and there is quite clearly a drain hole there.

Yes, if you pop the hatch after washing the car, you will get water running back down from the hatch, but it appears to be draining out of a hole on the bottom lip of the door. Now, sure, you may rather not have the water in there at all, but I don't see this as an oversight on Mazda's part, but rather things going as they intended and designed for, hence the drain hole being there in the first place.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're right about that drain hole.

My car was outside during some pretty nasty weather. 2 inches or more of rain. I popped the hatch the day after that storm and everything appeared dry. I looked at the bottom lip of the hatch door and there is quite clearly a drain hole there.

Yes, if you pop the hatch after washing the car, you will get water running back down from the hatch, but it appears to be draining out of a hole on the bottom lip of the door. Now, sure, you may rather not have the water in there at all, but I don't see this as an oversight on Mazda's part, but rather things going as they intended and designed for, hence the drain hole being there in the first place.
I think that is a weep hole for natural condensation from cold metal on humid day. My brother said you should not have any water inside a panel like that.

I am sure there will be a tsb for this soon, as I believe Mazda monitors all boards.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:
MY brother took my car this morning and remove one of the inner panel, easier than removing the spoiler.

THERE IS ALOT WATER ON THE INSIDE OF THE HATCH. and it is not treated for what he call, consistent moisture.

It is coming in on the side spoiler skirts. He is going to calk it with silicone from the inside, but would prefer to do it from the outside, with removal of the spoiler. He said the spoiler is easy to remove and replace. When he does this, this spring, I will video it and post it here for all my new friends.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK today I told the dealer and there is water getting in the end of the rear hatch spoiler. they have to remove the spoiler and seal it or change the clips.

I am going to let my brother do it, as I want the bigger spoiler and you have to remove the original one to drill it anyway. Might as well do it all the same time. I washed my car today and a few hours later, I opened the hatch to have a ton of water come out the end of the spoiler (black parts)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So your dealer said they would fix the water issue for your car?
Yes, by removing the spoiler. There is a clip with a seal on it on each side. That seal may not be tight enough.

I just lightly sprayed my car today, I did not concentrate on the area. and when i opened it, a ton of water came out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts