2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has come to our attention that Dynotronics / Joe McClughan *may* be selling tunes with others work on it, not of his own For Skyactivs. you can be the judge.

First, the history of it all. We (OVT) have worked and studied heavily into the Skyactiv ECU and skyactiv tuning. for months we tried different things to see how we could get the Skyactiv to peak potential.

We have tuned many skyactivs, and our customers and Dynotronics customers like to compare and contrast data logs and VDyno's.

it was brought to our attention by one of our customers, that A data-log by a Dynotronics customer had very very similar VVT exhaust settings as what we published on our ABSOLUTELY FREE OTS maps.

We got a hold of the customer and shared our evidence and data for this.
His customer ( I don't know the forum name on here, but he is active) can confirm every claim we are bringing forth:

These settings are our pre-tune testing settings, which we have verified as no good, not optimal, should not be used.
Joe McClughan via PM (which we will gladly share with a moderator) also confirms they are "no good" (he has no right to sell or distribute this)

with enough evidence to call into question his own tune, Dynotronics customer sent his file to us to review. We did not touch a single map, but we took pictures for comparison. You be the judge:
( if any moderator would like to see the full scale image, please pm I have no problem sharing)
OUR mapping = on the RIGHT
"his" mapping= on the LEFT

Dated email + file showing just how along ago these maps were put together and tested. VS when he sent that map to his customer
(we have 2 seperate people who tested these settings who can verify dates and accuracy)

Here is a PM to Dyno Tronics (facebook account banned, so his messages are deleted) but facebook saves out-going messages, He discussed with us about the skyactiv ECU and wanted to test our test maps on his dyno to see what they did anyway. (Not to sell or distribute). Again these maps are DANGEROUS! We wouldn't conclude he would attempt to pawn them off as custom mapping..
The exhaust VVT map is, what looks like a rip-off of our VVT OTS (FREE, non commercial use) maps.

Before anything was posted or published, we gave Joe (Dynotronics) multiple chances to explain, or satisfy our judgement about what was going on. We went as far as to say that a simple apology and we would drop the entire thing and not post publicly.

We are posting this here because we don't want anyone to end up (1) paying for a file that is offered totally free (2) end up having their engines blown, as these cam settings ARE NO GOOD.

more information will be posted as this resolves.

We also have more information and several PM's we can happily share with any moderator or Admin.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If anyone doubts the validity of this information I will personally verify the above statements. If you have any questions for me without it being out for the whole world to see you can message me on here or facebook. I am very active on the M3R page and run the mazda skyactiv owners page. I will be posting my complete experience in its entirety with Vdyno graphs etc from the entirety of my dynotronics experience as soon as I have all of my information put together in a easy to read and follow format.

Derek Jackson

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Thread is open for civilized discussion.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I am one of the two that did testing on this file, I can back up dates as I have kept all tuning emails, files, and logs. If need be I can go back in my messages with Mat where we were waiting on Joe for the dyno testing he was going to do.

Sad that it has come to this

Reactions: D-Jack

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
Why are the valve cam tables no good? Does it cause excessive residual fraction that leads to knock?
If the VVT exhaust tables are so bad, then why do you use them in your off the shelf map?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why are the valve cam tables no good? Does it cause excessive residual fraction that leads to knock?
If the VVT exhaust tables are so bad, then why do you use them in your off the shelf map?
the VVT exhaust tables aren't what's bad, but they are really bad in a combo with these BAD intake tables.
yes these intake tables cause excessive cruise knock because the low load cam, paired with the exhaust VVT causes the exhaust to reverse back into the Cyl. They were tested for 1 file / 1 log each on 2 cars and scrapped immediately.

Which is why the OTS map VVT INTAKE tables are completely different than these.

unfortunately the customer was using these tables (without his knowing) for so long he is actually getting an oil analysis and leak down test on his cylinders to make sure that he doesn't have permanent piston ring / skirt damage.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yes I was running a file that knowingly had profiles that "in Joes own words" were deemed unsafe for long term use from 10/12/14 until today.We also know that these very tables were tested by OV and one of his customers 4 months prior. Luckily Mat "who has not received a dime from me" was kind enough to provide me with a stock file to go back to. There will be much much more information about my experience leading up to this coming out very soon.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
.....wat

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for posting.

I don't know about others, but i've shyed away from DT as well. Even if I have a very trusted friend who vouched for them locally.

In my eyes, there is no reason a performance company, who profits from their product, can not provide an actual Dyno log to prove their work. Maybe it's posted elsewhere, but if I was selling a product, I would make sure that my customers were informed as much as possible.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@Derek ... Have had several vendors mess me up BiG time, its freaking gutting ... Hope everything works out and gets resolved for you
This isn't about a vendor messing up, I don't think this counts as a "mess up" in anyone's book. This is about a Vendor which people put their trust into, that is selling bad files that they admit to being bad, and not theirs, and work produced by others. it's not about if it will get resolved for me. There is no real resolution other than that this vendor, and company is properly dealt with and should not be allowed to continue to post and attempt to sell on this forum (or really any forum or board).

You have to understand this Vendor uses his word to gain the trust of others, then all these issues arise and the resolution isn't between us and him, it's between him and the community he is stealing from.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This isn't about a vendor messing up, I don't think this counts as a "mess up" in anyone's book. This is about a Vendor which people put their trust into, that is selling bad files that they admit to being bad, and not theirs, and work produced by others. it's not about if it will get resolved for me. There is no real resolution other than that this vendor, and company is properly dealt with and should not be allowed to continue to post and attempt to sell on this forum (or really any forum or board).

You have to understand this Vendor uses his word to gain the trust of others, then all these issues arise and the resolution isn't between us and him, it's between him and the community he is stealing from.

At least some attempt should be made by dt ... That's the thought no more ... Derek I was really only trying to say I'm sympathize ...

Regarding the review ... This type of digital fingerprint review is not the same as what we are used to here ... Namely 100 of 150 rmms from a perticular manufacturer fail ... A ton of pictures and ur off to the races ... Its different ...

The original assertion by Mathew / ovt is a great door opener and may have long legs however when you read it , it lacks detail and verifiable evidence ... And is not published by the author ( which is problematic ) ...

Normally when you do this type of thing in the digital world you basically round up the evidence benchmark pre and post and document the differences ... In this case you would take your 1st dump that went to dt and have it compared to the dump sent to ovt .... That would show what was done .. Then you take the variances and compare the informations directly to what was agreed as the earliest instance of the ovt file ... The results will speak for them selves .... And all informations, dates and results published

Ideally one would do this thru an independant party howeve that's tricky in this instance

The only person I know who would be in a position to do this ( though I suspect he would not ) would be the mazdaedit developer because the hex dump needs to be sent to him before any vendor can look at it ... Thus he should have everything

Really at the end of the day there should be no opinion based judgement here ... It's not like some one saying my rmm fell off and the vendor saying you didn't torque it down... All of the things required to perform a review are available and it will take all of the emotion out of this and makes it a very binary thing ... Right now u just don't see that ... And I see good reason to go the extra mile to perform a review

Any how I promised my self to stay out of this and broke my promise ... And mat basically told me to stay out of this because it's not my business ... And I'm sorry guys I could not help myself .... lol it's all about the evidence guys and the detail ... Hard cold fact of the hex ... It's definitive ... No pms no screenshots nothing just a comparison and result = irriputable = everyone sticks their colors to their flagpoles and its over ... And it's up to te reviewer to be specific on all elements of the review

Let the flaming begin lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks but there was PMS sent to the Moderator showing FB PM's. Sorry, just like you were told This doesn't revolve around you and we have no reason to give out all of the details to someone who just wants to get himself in the middle of it.

Just like you did on the Group which got you removed, you continually question and question us, go question joe, tell him to speak u

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Especially considering from the looks of it youre just working as a lap dog for dynotronics taking and relaying information. Joe is fully capable and doesnt need you

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cool...

I joined the OVT tuning group and made 2 posts, the first was about fuel economy and tire pressure the second was asking how the HEX file was opened? I think that was it... and i got removed for the later i suspect...

Why did i join the group?... Every one told me that the evidence was on that group and i should join so i touched base with Mat and asked if i could join but noted that it would be OK 110% if he rejected the request ( it would be understandable TBO )... he accepted the request .... as I had been asking questions in the M3R forum about the same and none were answered

So I joined and I read the information and I had questions and I asked one question and was removed for that one question ... there is not much more to it than that ...

My points are not for Joe or OVT specifically; they are just good industry benchmark practices ...

As far as justifications and or communications we all know Mat and Joe and think we would agree they are both able to communicate without us.... and I await the response as eagerly as every one else...

Why am I bothering to get involved... Love the MZ3 platform and a member of the community - If this thread is to make a statement without addition or question then that should be stated in the first post .... this is a serious issue and deserves open debate
\
anyhow - its popcorn time

·
Registered
115 Posts
Especially considering from the looks of it youre just working as a lap dog for dynotronics taking and relaying information. Joe is fully capable and doesnt need you
Nope, not me relaying info to Joe... and if all information was published clearly and to a process there is no need for such suspicions to arise ..

Second box of popcorn

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No as I recall you were removed for stating you were talking to joe and continually asked Mat questions relatant to what could be joes agenda.

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
I think everyone should cool their jets till @D-Jack makes his posts. It seems that he'll have answers that people are looking for in this instance. @chris_top_her looks like he had a bad situation with DT, so I'd love to see a detailed account from him too. More facts from more users will help us all formulate a conclusion.

Edit: @StaFForD, please add any more details you can too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No as I recall you were removed for stating you were talking to joe and continually asked Mat questions relatant to what could be joes agenda.
Agreed we should cool the Jets and Derek I have a great deal of respect for you and am sorry that's the way it was received ... I apologize .. was not my intent ... hope we are good and am bowing out of this ... if you guys want me to remove any or all of my post I will voluntarily

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.