2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware of acorns! Haha... I got a couple small dents on the roof of my hatch from falling acorns... damn that sheet metal on the roof in thin! Anyone had a problem with this? If so... any tips for popping them out?

·
Registered
975 Posts
All 3 gens have been like this.
It's safe to say these cars are not trucks, no.

First hail storm my car was caught in my car was fortunately 10 feet from a garage, unfortunately, it wasn't in said garage.
Hail didn't even hurt me, but there are lots of small dents in my roof from that many years ago.
Had an acorn hit my roof earlier this week, was loud as crap.
I can't find the dent, but I guarantee it did.

Roofs are extremely thin, unfortunately there isn't much that can be done, it's a massive weight savings for this vehicle, and huge performance gainer, really for any vehicle.

Just keep it away from hail and squirrels :/

·
Registered
295 Posts
Beware of acorns! Haha... I got a couple small dents on the roof of my hatch from falling acorns... damn that sheet metal on the roof in thin! Anyone had a problem with this? If so... any tips for popping them out?
Go to local PDR professional they should able to fix it. Really, everyone with Mazdas needs to have personal PDR guy, similar to personal Dr.. There is no way keep it dent free. They should build this car from warping foil, that would be a heck of weight saving.

I like how they brought this car to the market. "If any problem with glass or body of the car, lets put burden on the shoulders of consumers". I still believe this car build for Japan. With almost ideal conditions for the cars (and pedestrians), I might be wrong.

·
Registered
198 Posts
buying sunroof does minimize chance of getting ding by about 30%.:laugh2:
Interesting point. But I would suspect it may minimize by far more than 30% since the span of sheet metal will be smaller, thus more rigid, and there would be more stuff under the metal, e.g. frame and motor for the sunroof.

Of course I'm not willing to conduct the proper scientific experiments.

·
Registered
975 Posts
haha it's still a funny point.
It shouldn't be much more than the window itself, the "bracing" for it even on a gen1 is minimal, and doesn't really include the roof itself, the roof across all gens are pretty much the same, they're meant to be assembled easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hood seems to be fine... just the roof has taken a couple acorns... This may sound ridiculous, but the though of having the roof Line-Xed has crossed my mind!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a couple of acorn dings in my m3s roof... Also have a couple on my Suburban, not as noticeable but there none the less. Either cut the trees or don't park under them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
while looking at new cars to buy i remember stumbling upon this thread and it seems to be a trend with new cars coming with thin material up top

This guy with his fit dented the roof just putting pressure on it with his elbows while waxing it

I can't believe I dented my Fit - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

i have heard complains like this about toyotas and other mfgs too
And where are the pictures of the guy himself? Seriously, I have 250 pound dude who drives FIT. I think this dent should not be compared to acorn one at all.
Verdict if so many cases with different manufactures will make me believe in conspiracy theory.:laugh2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts