1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
260 Posts
Use a quality car wash, like Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax. DON"T use a automatic or sudsy-brush carwash...their soaps are very harsh, and will remove the wax completely.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There are a lot of variables. How often you wash the car, whether you take it to a car wash or do it by hand, how bad the weather is, the quality of the wax, how many coats you used, etc all will determine the life span.

I quit using waxes because I could only get about 3~4 months out of them. I now use acrylic sealants (Amazon.com: The Klasse Kit: Automotive) which will get me at least 6 months. I actually got a full year out of my last detail due to last year's mild winter and drought this summer.

The best way to get a long life out of your wax is to layer coats. If the wax is any good, two or three coats should last you all winter.

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use a quality car wash, like Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax. DON"T use a automatic or sudsy-brush carwash...their soaps are very harsh, and will remove the wax completely.
If I use it its an all in one product and I won't have to wax right? I'm thinking if I just rinse the car this weekend it'll be fine?

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a lot of variables. How often you wash the car, whether you take it to a car wash or do it by hand, how bad the weather is, the quality of the wax, how many coats you used, etc all will determine the life span.

I quit using waxes because I could only get about 3~4 months out of them. I now use acrylic sealants (Amazon.com: The Klasse Kit: Automotive) which will get me at least 6 months. I actually got a full year out of my last detail due to last year's mild winter and drought this summer.

The best way to get a long life out of your wax is to layer coats. If the wax is any good, two or three coats should last you all winter.
3-4 months for me is good (winter), but $50 is steep so I'm not going to go that way. Should I wash more or less?

·
Registered
750 Posts
3-4 months for me is good (winter), but $50 is steep so I'm not going to go that way. Should I wash more or less?
Wash and wax all-in-one products never lasted more than a month or so for me.

The link I included was just an example. I bought that kit 8 years or so ago and I still have plenty left, so it has been worth the money. The ammount you use is VERY small. I went through wax at a far faster rate.
You don't have to use that product, there are others out there like NXT which work the same way for less. I use the Klasse product and it's been fantastic.

If 3~4 months is good for you, then put on a couple layers of a dourable wax and go for it. I need a little extra time as winter can strech on and I hate trying to wax my car when my boogers are freezing in my nose.

During the winter you can't avoid washing when you need to get the salt off. Wash it yourself when temps allow, and a wash bay/touchless car wash when they don't. Just keep in mind they accelerate the wear process of the wax. Its unavoidable.

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wash and wax all-in-one products never lasted more than a month or so for me.

The link I included was just an example. I bought that kit 8 years or so ago and I still have plenty left, so it has been worth the money. The ammount you use is VERY small. I went through wax at a far faster rate.
You don't have to use that product, there are others out there like NXT which work the same way for less. I use the Klasse product and it's been fantastic.

If 3~4 months is good for you, then put on a couple layers of a dourable wax and go for it. I need a little extra time as winter can strech on and I hate trying to wax my car when my boogers are freezing in my nose.

During the winter you can't avoid washing when you need to get the salt off. Wash it yourself when temps allow, and a wash bay/touchless car wash when they don't. Just keep in mind they accelerate the wear process of the wax. Its unavoidable.
Thank you very much, your info is very useful. I plan to do the same wax with a few coats on our Tsx when my dad comes back on the weekend.

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Going to buy the nxt over the weekend and use it on the tsx, looks promising, thank you once more.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Going to buy the nxt over the weekend and use it on the tax, looks promising, thank you once more.
Any time. Let us know how the product works for you and holds up over time.

I've been surprised how you can find some decent products at resonable prices in normal retail outlets if you know what your looking for and do a little research.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If I use it its an all in one product and I won't have to wax right? I'm thinking if I just rinse the car this weekend it'll be fine?
No....the wash/wax car wash is not meant to be a replacement for a good hand-wax application. I consider it to be more of a booster to the wax already on the car. I also use Meguiars ultimate quick wax after every wash....again, I consider this a booster to the already-applied paste wax. Whatever car wash product you decide to use, stay with it....don't use Dawn dishwashing liquid (or any other type of harsh soap) because you're out of car wash solution....just like the automatic car washes, the soap will strip the whatever wax you've previously applied. Products like Dawn are good to remove old wax, just before you clay bar your car in preparation for a fresh wax application.

While I've never tried the product the other poster recommended, I'm sure it's a quality product otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it. I will say, when applying multiple layers of wax, be sure and let each application of wax cure on the car....you run the risk of removing the first coat by applying the second coat. Most wax suppliers recommend a 12 hour hardening time.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
On the recommendation of Desertnate in this thread and others I've started using Klasse AIO and the sealant and glaze. Awesome stuff. Applied it in the beginning of August and it's still going strong. Wash, claybar, apply AIO, apply sealant glaze, next day apply 2nd coat of sealant glaze and your good to go for at least the next six months. Today the car shines, sheds dirt and water beads up like the day I applied it back in august. You use so little of it all you have to buy is the smallest bottles they sell. Waxing never lasted longer than 2-4 weeks for me. Done with doing it the old way. Klasse is good stuff. I bought the kit $49.99 kit from autogeek. That's like a 10 year supply lol. You can buy smaller amounts though.

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search?catalog=autogeek&query=klasse&x=0&y=0

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to a few different auto parts stores but they didn't NXT 2.0 so I just wash/waxed the TSX with my turtle wax super hard shell and the car is white, I think it came out pretty good. My Mazda3 has had the turtle wax on it for a week and its going strong, if it only lasts a month or two its fine and I'm going to buy the Klasse kit soon. I've read some stuff about the acrylic stuff you guys were talking about and I really want that look that comes with it (the hard shell of a car). I didn't have a lot of time but this time it only took me an hour and a half for a coat of turtle wax, its time consuming but I think I'll get faster once I keep doing it, its practice for when I get my dream car or the TSX (which will be prepared since I wax it). I will also be getting better car wash soap and a few more items as I'm slowly starting to get more stuff and I'm going to buy a buffer soon.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Warlord: That kit will easily last you 10 years. I've had mine for around 8 and I've still got half a bottle of the Glaze and about a third of a bottle of AIO. On small cars the stuff lasts for ever. I've started using the products on my wife's new Highlander too, so I'm sure I'll start going through it quicker.

Mercedes>BMW: I'd get really comfortable with using various products by hand and getting a good system in place (i.e. wash, clay, polish, seal/wax) before you jump into the world of a buffer. You can quickly get into trouble if you don't know what you're doing. I have an old random-orbital buffer I use occasionally, but am pretty sure I'm not using it to its full potential. I just don't have a car I'm willing to practice on!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Warlord: That kit will easily last you 10 years. I've had mine for around 8 and I've still got half a bottle of the Glaze and about a third of a bottle of AIO. On small cars the stuff lasts for ever. I've started using the products on my wife's new Highlander too, so I'm sure I'll start going through it quicker.
LOL. I realized that the kit would last practically forever when I read the directions that say " If you can see what you applied, you applied to much. A tiny bit goes a long way.

I found that if you apply the AIO a little heavy it's ok as it will buff off easily. The sealant has to be applied thinly and needs to dry at least a half hour before you buff it off otherwise it will smear a little. If it does smear a little all you do is apply a little more and let dry fully or spray a little instant detailer and it cleans it right up. Klasse is the best longest lasting product I've used to date. Thanks for mentioning it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts