2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my speed3 about a month ago while I was on leave in Chicago and drove it to my new station in Tampa, FL. I went to the dealer today to set up a check up appointment on the car and was lied to quite a few times regarding warranty info (at least I hope so). I went to the service counter and asked the guy about putting mods on my car and whether it would void the warranty or not. He told me it wouldn't as long as the work was done by a certified Mazda tech (who by the way charge $99 per hour for labor). I then went over to the parts counter to get a plastic rear tray and I had another interesting conversation with the parts guy. I asked the same questions about modding an the warranty and he told me I couldn't put anything on the car without it voiding the warranty. He told me a story about some guy who put a cold air intake on his speed and had something go wrong with the car. He told me they wouldn't cover it under the warranty and that the first guy I was talking to was lying. I don't know who's right or wrong here but I know one thing, Mazda will be getting a nice little phone call :)

corksport,
would you guys care to weigh in? I know you guys will have a better idea of what to expect as far as warranties are concerned.

·
Registered
987 Posts
it mostly depends on your dealer. mine has basically told me that i can mod the hell outta mine as long as the parts don't CAUSE breakage or premature wear, then it's fine. but i've also heard the same stories you've told. mazda races their cars and are proud of the fact that owners want to race them. one of the commercials running right now says 'on any given weekend there are more mazdas racing than any other brand...' when i told my svc tech i was going racing this weekend, he told me to have a good time. ya might want to find another dealer, like one that won't try to screw you outta your warranty.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
You should be covered by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, if something you modified is found to be the cause of a problem, the dealer reserves the right to refuse warranty coverage for it (you'll find that some will fix it anyway). If the problem is in no way related to anything you've modified, then they are still required to honor the warranty. The burden of proof is on them. If they tell you any different, they're lieing and you might want to find a different dealer. Easier to do that than to lawyer up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When i bought my Speed 3 and went to the back to talk to finance guy and after negotiating with him to lower price on warranty we talked about the effects of Mods and basically told me that nothing voids the full warrenty if you take out a stock part and replace it with another then that part will no longer be covered and only that part alone. But then again he was a salesman so you never know. i ended up getting a sick deal on extended 6 yr warrenty with 100,000 miles for only $15 extra a month HALF the price he started with.

My opinion: If by any chance something terrible happened to anything engine wise i would bring my car back to SPEC before i brought it in. Just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts