2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't particularly understand my Bose 9 speaker centerpoint system. I've had the Mazda 3 Touring model (newest-2018) for about 4 months now and I still miss my old Saab 9-3 six-speaker standard setup. I find that the vocal volume of songs on the centerpoint setting just bothers me. I know the design is to make it sound a certain way but I just I can't hear the vocals as well on songs as opposed to when centerpoint is off. But when centerpoint is off, the sound is no longer surrounding me and is all coming from the front dash. I hear no rear speaker action. That also bothers me. I don't like either setting. I just want a basic setup like I had with my old 2001 Saab 9-3 which was 6-speakers, but without the blown speakers.

I took the car to Car Toys a few weeks ago and reported all of this and the guy told me basically I'd need to replace the whole thing, all new speakers and a new processor and all this stuff. The quote he gave me was $3,500. For just being able to hear my music normally again?

I read somewhere that someone had put in a new Pioneer headunit and it made the 9-speaker system sound great. Is this possible? Have you guys noticed or are you bothered by any of the things I've mentioned about this Bose system? Have you had any experience trying to upgrade it so it sounds good but normal again? Any advice on this is highly appreciated!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the fader more to the rear? Also, increasing the treble will help bring out the "vocals". The Bose speakers are really deficient in treble (aka high notes).

I also have the Bose 9-speaker system. I have the Centerpoint turned off, fader adjusted to -1, balance 1 notch to the right, treble +6. I upgraded the L and R front dash speakers to Infinity (which have real tweeters) to get even more treble. As it is, I think the sound quality is quite good to my ears.

Believe it or not, the lower output from the rear speakers is normal and is actually ideal from a sound quality perspective. The rear speakers are supposed to only provide what is called "rear fill," which gives a greater sense of space to the music for the front passengers. In order to achieve this, the rear output should be much lower than the front speakers.

From Crutchfield...
Once you have your front speakers installed to your liking, you'll want to make sure that your rear speakers are doing their part to create an ideal soundstage. While personal taste plays a role here, most experts agree that you should adjust the volume level for rear speakers so that you're barely conscious of their presence.
While your front speakers should give you the best midrange and high frequencies possible, your rear speakers can be conventional coaxials or low frequency drivers. Their purpose is to add ambiance and depth to your forward soundstage. If they reveal too much high frequency information, they'll "pull" the stereo image to the rear of your vehicle, away from where you want it.

Because of this, some car stereo geeks (aka audiophiles) will even completely remove the rear speakers altogether.

All that said, i would be nice if the Bose system had more adjustablity like a home theater system where you can adjust each channel separately and a multi-band equalizer to better fine tune the sound. Oh well.

·
Banned
842 Posts
My 2018 M3 has the BOSE system. Reading your disciption of the sound I would say you need to first go to adjustments as mentioned earlier.
As for the center point it sounds like it is working as should be but IMHO you still need to go to adjustments and tailor it a bit for your listening style.

I would not really replace the main operating unit as it is NOT necessary and IMHO you will not get the same control features as set up from BOSE for MAZDA .

There is GREAT improvements you can make by upgrading the speakers and adding matched/compatible amplifiers. Also as mention there are ways you can take complete control of all the speaker even using the main MAZDA BOSE system.

I am in the process of upgrading all my BOSE speakers adding amplifiers and tieing everything together with a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 all while still maintaining the factory main control unit.

I want to add many Mazda's need the addition of sound reducing material added completely which will also improve the sound quality even with a BOSE system unaltered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the feedback, you guys. I assume you know what I'm talking about when i describe the vocals on centerpoint feature? They are just.. not as prominent in certain ways as what im used to listening through headphones and through my standard setup in my old Saab.

M3Nitro, do you use the centerpoint feature and if so why or why not? I guess what I am looking for is a less "distant" sound to the vocals and similar to how the send when centerpoint is off, but the fullness of the rest of the instruments when centerpoint is on. I will continue trying the settings. When it comes to speaker replacement, I guess I have a skepticism of that suggestion. It doesn't seem like replacing the speakers could help when to me, it seems like the problem is with the design of the sound by the software that controls it. Can someone explain to me how replacing speakers alone can change the sound to my liking? It's not like I don't have enough bass or treble, I have plenty of both. And my speakers are new and not blown. But it's the core presentation of the sound that I seem to be at odds with.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Leave the center speaker alone....
Get a pair of HIGH QUALITY tweeters and install them at a perpendicular line from your personal seat position and the center of your ears. Then after you do that decide about either leaving single center speaker or just disconnecting it. If you do disconnect it then I recommend a HIGH QUALITY pair of dash speakers.

The center speaker can and does irritate some listeners like yourself. For me not having it I fell the missing fulfillment of sounds.

Everyone's listening interest varies and it is VERY hard to help someone choose what they like best. Most of the time it is trail and error to get what you want.

If you go to my thread you will see some of what my choice of speakers has been and where I currently at with my personal BOSE system upgrade.

click on the http below for my thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts