2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The tiny tach on the iSport really sucks. I really like the large center tach with digital speedo.

I would think this would be just plug in. I do have circuit diagram but it seems that only high end automatics came with the center analog tach.

Wondering if this is possible?

Thanks

Replace this

With this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very interested in this. That was the one thing I don't like about the 2.0 model. The tach should be analog for manual models and digital for automatic in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I heard someone mention in this post that the 2015 i Touring now comes with the large analog tachometer for manual transmissions. If you already have a 14 MZ3 you're SOL but if not, there's that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
From what i've seen and i've scoured over the service manual, it is possible but it requires a lot more than just an instrument panel swap. it would be expensive.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The sport models came with the center tack.

I can almost be 100% positive it can be swapped, but a dealership would have to do it, and yeah, I'm sure it's going to be stupid expensive.

I freaking love that whole gauge setup though on the sport models, it's so gorgeous...

·
Registered
476 Posts
There was a thread about this, several months back. I think the conclusion was, that while it may be humanly possible (at a dealership willing to take it on), the cost would be crazy expensive. More than a simple plug-n-play swap out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with my local dealer who called Mazda Tech Center. They said it will set a code if you replace the instrument cluster. :(

Waid

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have that instrument panel. This also includes the headup display on top of the intrument hood.

as seen on this pic:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Be careful switching instrument clusters. I had a customer trade in a vehicle recently who did something similar to what you are looking at. Nothing aftermarket, used factory parts. He had no idea it ended up costing him a branded title. Be careful. I know I said something about this on another post about switching it out, but that was before I had this predicament. Again, be careful.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mazda needs to dump the analog speedo on all models... You can't read the damn thing! That's my biggest complaint about my 3i touring. I have to set the cruise just to see how fast I'm going.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
My largest complaint when I first got the car is the tiniest tach for shifting. Now I just shift by feel. The car's so silent though that sometimes I'm at 4500RPM's without even hearing it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mazda needs to dump the analog speedo on all models... You can't read the damn thing! That's my biggest complaint about my 3i touring. I have to set the cruise just to see how fast I'm going.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I totally agree. They completely failed on the speedo gauge.

It would be a little better if they hadn't made the back of the speedo reflect white light against the silver gauge face, with white numbers and white hash marks. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking? Did they even test this out before making a decision?

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
You'd probably be better off trading in your car for one with the center gauges you want. You'd probably lose $3-4000 on the trade, but you'd probably spend $1-2000 on the swap and have to carry that certified odometer note around, which may cost you another $1-2000 whenever you sell it or trade it in down the road.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts