2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you here may know, I've added quite a few "photoshopped" customized photos of the 2014 Mazda 3 here on the 2014 (Gen-3) subforums.
I know quite a few of you enjoyed the police car version of the 2014 Mazda3 that I came up with, and I've been using that same file to show off how I plan to customize my own personal car.

Today, I've decided I would attempt to share the image/file I've been using for customizing the front-view of the car with all of you.
While I would hope that no one will attempt to duplicate all the visual modifications I plan on doing for my own build, I've left all the modifications for my build within the image as well as many other options I've added for everyone to play with.

The following is very similar to what I might do to my car:
May this serve as an example. :)

This file was created in GIMP (version 2.8 ). GIMP is a free image editing software and is similar to Photoshop.
YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL GIMP IF YOU WANT TO OPEN THIS FILE & PLAY WITH IT.

Download GIMP Here

Because of all the customization options I have made available, the file size is quite large. (60 MB)
The file would have been much larger (it was at 110MB after the 1st size reduction), but I have attempted to reduce the size of it by taking certain elements out that I thought would not be critical to customizing the car.

I have added the file to a .zip folder in order to reduce download times. The .zip'd size is 34MB. After installing GIMP on your computer, you will need to un-.zip the file from the folder to play with it and edit it.
(EDIT: Even at 34MB, the attachment manager failed me, so I'm just sharing it through dropbox)

Please keep in mind that this file was made based on the Custom SEMA Showroom model of the 2014 Mazda 3, named the "Vector3". The reason I chose this as my base model, is because I planned on doing a similar set of modifications to the car. The Vector3 has been lowered to about the ride height of what we see in the marketing images of the Mazda3, and it also has an Aero Kit added to it. On top of this, it has a custom skin/paint job and the roof is wrapped black. I have attempted to remove the black roof and the custom paint job to the best of my ability.

Playing with the Customizer:
In order to customize your own build, you will need to turn "Layers" of the image within GIMP on and off. Layers stack on top of one another, with layers listed at the bottom being below everything else, serving as base layers, and layers at the top being above everything else.

When you open the file, turn everything off except for the bottom folder of entries, then proceed to add things as you go up through all the layers.
The version I have uploaded has lots of random modifications turned on in order for you to get a feel of where everything is sorted.

when you open up the file in GIMP, this is close to what you should see:
Check out all the awesome options in the Layer Tree on the Right Side. Those are just a few of the options. In fact, a lot of the options are contained within folders, so what you are seeing is just showing you a small amount of the options available.

Base Colors:
I have attempted to include all the options of colors that the 2014 Mazda3 comes available in with 3 extra bonuses: Mazda2 Metallic Green, Two-Tone Police-Car Black & White, and well... Vector3.
Please, if you feel as though you can do a better job at matching the real-life shades of the car, please do, and please share. I did my best to match the colors that are shown on Mazda USA's website, though I know those are off from the true colors as well.
Of all the colors, I'm worried about Titanium Flash Mica and Deep Crystal Blue Mica the most.

Size Reduction of the File:
In order to reduce the file size, I have removed many of the "layer masks" and I've merged them into the layers themselves. What this means, is that if I didn't trace a line as good as you would have liked, it cannot be fixed. Layer Masks (to me) are a form of erasing/hiding elements within a layer without making the omissions to the layer permanent.

NOTE: I keep old versions of my files to show how I've made progress, so the Layer Masks that were removed are not permanently gone. If you would like a particular layer's mask (assuming it exists) please feel free to ask. Also, please keep in mind, that while you might get the original layer with its mask, it may not have everything you want, because sometimes I erase around what I don't need and then I use the Layer Mask to refine the erasing.

Adding Custom Modifications from other users:
• First, if you are one of the "Other Users" that people see a mod they would like to add to their own build, it would probably be easiest if you deleted all the layers except for the ones requested in order to reduce the file size as much as possible.
• For those of you who are adding layers from other users: Have your file open and the file you are copying from open. On the one you are copying from, select the layer you want to copy, and press Ctrl+C. Then, on your file, go to Edit → Paste As → New Layer.
If the layer you are trying to copy has a Layer Mask, on your new layer, right click and select Add Layer Mask. Make sure that the Layer Mask is highlighted. Now go to the layer mask you want to copy, select it, and press Ctrl+C. Go back to your file, and press Ctrl+V. Then right click on the Floating Selection (Pasted Layer) and select "Anchor Down" and it will anchor it to the layer mask you made sure to highlight earlier (by anchoring one to the other, the initial one gets replaced).

I hope you all enjoy what I'm providing to you all, and I hope others will add to what I've done and share their customizations and their pictures of what they've done/plan to do to their car.
Please share work that you do based on these files here in this thread so I get the chance to see them! :)

Attached:
• My Personal Modifications Image, • Source Image - Vector3, • Shared Image (Hazumi Green Modded 3), • The Mazda3 Police Mod, • GIMP Viewing Window

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Reserved

NOTICE:
I eventually plan to upload customizable versions of the side view and rear view.
I would like to see other users actually using the front view version before I do though.

Changelog/Critical Updates:
• Somehow it seems that the 2nd white LED Grill strip was deleted, to fix this, duplicate the 2nd strip in the blue folder, rename it appropriately and move it to the white folder, and then go to Colors → Hue-Saturation → And turn the Saturation all the way down to make it white.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your hard work WandererTJ. I love that police version and that green 3 is down right sick! I have a soul red 3 and I like the red line on the top part of the grill.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your hard work WandererTJ. I love that police version and that green 3 is down right sick! I have a soul red 3 and I like the red line on the top part of the grill.
Yeah, the red around the grill actually kinda reminds me of the "lipstick" on VW Golf GTI's; and while it would look good as paint, what I have showing is LED strips.

I need to make a new layer for the grill slit LED strip for when the light is off. I'm not sure what exactly it would look like, but I would guess it would appear as a glossy black strip cut into the grill slit. Maybe it would be lighter than the grill though, idk...

Also, I gotta admit that of all the green cars I see on the road (with the exception of my 1969 Chevelle), the green Mazda2's have the ONLY good looking green. It's a shame that same green wasn't available for us. I understand that the gen-3 Mazda3 is supposed to be more "sophisticated" and that green is more for a "cute" car, but they managed to create an amazing looking green and it would be a shame to not see it on more cars.

Oh, and I've added an extra image to the OP showing people just a few of the things you might find inside the file. I would have taken a screenshot of it all, but it doesn't fit on my screen without needing to scroll.
I figured it would be nice to know what you could do with the file before needing to download anything.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Example:
This is an example listing the major active layers for the following image.
I've also done a few easy modifications to some of the colors of the layers and I've listed what they are.
NOTE: For all modified layers, I right click the layer and I Duplicate the layer before starting any changes. I also turn the visibility of the original layer off. This is unnecessary if you only change the opacity of the layer though
• Base Layers: On
• Primary Mods: License Plate Mount Removal & Fog Lights Added
• Color: Blue Reflex Mica
• Front Emblem Mod: New Chrome + Plastidipped Top & Bottom
• Decals: SEMA Clubsport6 Stripes
• Fog Lights Upgraded with Main Bulbs turned On
• Signal Light Lens Color (Red) - Hue/Sat Modified: Hue changed to -90, Opacity set @ 70%
• Fog Light Chrome (Plastidipped - Red) - Hue/Sat Modified: Hue changed to -90
• Mirror Wrap - Colorized: Purple Hue, Highly Saturated, Lighter in Color (I forgot the exact numbers), Opacity set @ 50%
• KenStyle Chrome Mirror Trim (version 1) - Accent Opacity set @ 50%
• Chrome Grill Wing LED - Violet
• LED Grill Strips - All White Turned on
(NOTE: Somehow it seems that the 2nd white strip was deleted, to fix this, duplicate the 2nd strip in the blue folder, rename it appropriately and move it to the white folder, and then go to Colors → Hue-Saturation → And turn the Saturation all the way down)
• License Plate - shifted/moved off the center of the grill. If you enable the "Link" buttons for all 3 (the Link button is next to the visibility button) before you move them, they will all move together. This will keep you from needing to re-align them if you move them one by one.
• Headlights On Layers:
Headlight Effects - Opacity set @ 50%
Halo Headlights (Red) - Hue/Sat: Hue= -90, Opacity set @ 40%
Headlights On (Violet) - Opacity set @ 25%
Central Headlight Projectors - On

Yes, the Clubsport6 stripes are awesome. But I saw them first!!!! Lol.

In hindsight, I should have made the license plate read "EXAMPLE"....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll try to do this after work today. I'm thinking of changing the trim to orange this summer.

Yeah, deep crystal blue is hard to reproduce. The website makes it more blue than it is in person. And even in person, it looks very different in different lighting conditions. But I think that is one reason I like it so much :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ok, so that is pretty cool. I was able to play around and make mockups of what I might do. Looking at pictures of my car, I got much closer to the deep crystal blue. In one of them, I also tried my hand at creating a new layer with the 'eyebrows' on the hood (I don't really like how they look now that I can see it).

Attachments

·
such grim, vry kvlt, wow.
177 Posts
Man that is really nifty, great work!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok, so that is pretty cool. I was able to play around and make mockups of what I might do. Looking at pictures of my car, I got much closer to the deep crystal blue. In one of them, I also tried my hand at creating a new layer with the 'eyebrows' on the hood (I don't really like how they look now that I can see it).
1:
You think you could post a file with the fixed Deep Crystal Blue?
I don't need all the layers, just that one.
If you remember the color tools you used and the values you put into them, listing what you did would work too, instead of having to upload the file.

2:
Did you modify the mirror cap/wrap layer that I had added or did you re-create your own? I didn't think I had left so much extra space around the edges.
Personally, I'm noticing a few things that I probably need to fix/tweak now that you've changed a lot of the chrome pieces to orange lol.
It's good to have beta testers lol.

I also understand that all the stuff I do might not be perfect; looking at the Kenstyle chrome hood piece is actually bothering me now. The upper edge of it should be sharp, not fuzzy. It was hard to get the lines of it right and still make it look decent though. I think the Kenstyle Trim looks a lot better than the Wrap that goes around just the front lip of the upper side of the grill. Then again, that upper-lip grill wrap was one of the first things I did while learning how to use GIMP.

It might also be better to label the sets of those pieces on the front Wrap, Trim, & Cover/Bra for the 3 levels of coverage they add. Idk...

3:
I think I understand what you are trying to do with the "eyebrows" and I think it is a great idea, but it might look better if they were a different shape and crossed over multiple panels of the body instead of just the 1. (See Clubsport3)

I'm attaching 2 photos as examples of decals that have been added to the 2014 Mazda3; one is the Clubsport3, which has an "eyebrow" decal, the other does the opposite and has a decal for the "eye shadow" (I think that is the right term....). The 2nd one has the ATH Hinsberger Body Kit on it. If you go to my Body Kits thread, it has a link that will show you more/better pics. I think the one I'm attaching though shows all of the front views that have the decals added.

I've also added a 3rd pic of the Clubsport6's decals/accents around the fog light.

Just wanted to give you some examples of things that exist, maybe they will inspire you.
I might try and go in and add some of these decals myself.
If there is something in particular you want me to try and add, just ask. Adding curved text for me is really hard though, so doing something like adding the Clubsport3's 2.5L Decal on the hood without a source photo to just copy and paste it from will be a nightmare for me.

I have a perfect front-view pic of the Clubsport6, and I can post that, and I actually finally just found a front view of the Clubsport3 :D I've been hunting for one!!! Yay ...so I can post the perfect front-view of the Clubsport3 now too!

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
1:
You think you could post a file with the fixed Deep Crystal Blue?
I don't need all the layers, just that one.
If you remember the color tools you used and the values you put into them, listing what you did would work too, instead of having to upload the file.

2:
Did you modify the mirror cap/wrap layer that I had added or did you re-create your own? I didn't think I had left so much extra space around the edges.
Personally, I'm noticing a few things that I probably need to fix/tweak now that you've changed a lot of the chrome pieces to orange lol.
It's good to have beta testers lol.

I also understand that all the stuff I do might not be perfect; looking at the Kenstyle chrome hood piece is actually bothering me now. The upper edge of it should be sharp, not fuzzy. It was hard to get the lines of it right and still make it look decent though. I think the Kenstyle Trim looks a lot better than the Wrap that goes around just the front lip of the upper side of the grill. Then again, that upper-lip grill wrap was one of the first things I did while learning how to use GIMP.

It might also be better to label the sets of those pieces on the front Wrap, Trim, & Cover/Bra for the 3 levels of coverage they add. Idk...

3:
I think I understand what you are trying to do with the "eyebrows" and I think it is a great idea, but it might look better if they were a different shape and crossed over multiple panels of the body instead of just the 1. (See Clubsport3)

I'm attaching 2 photos as examples of decals that have been added to the 2014 Mazda3; one is the Clubsport3, which has an "eyebrow" decal, the other does the opposite and has a decal for the "eye shadow" (I think that is the right term....). The 2nd one has the ATH Hinsberger Body Kit on it. If you go to my Body Kits thread, it has a link that will show you more/better pics. I think the one I'm attaching though shows all of the front views that have the decals added.

I've also added a 3rd pic of the Clubsport6's decals/accents around the fog light.

Just wanted to give you some examples of things that exist, maybe they will inspire you.
I might try and go in and add some of these decals myself.
If there is something in particular you want me to try and add, just ask. Adding curved text for me is really hard though, so doing something like adding the Clubsport3's 2.5L Decal on the hood without a source photo to just copy and paste it from will be a nightmare for me.

I have a perfect front-view pic of the Clubsport6, and I can post that, and I actually finally just found a front view of the Clubsport3 :D I've been hunting for one!!! Yay ...so I can post the perfect front-view of the Clubsport3 now too!
1. Is there a way to see what colorizer values I used? I just set selection to alpha of the deep crystal blue layer and adjusted that.

2. I colorized the mirror cap. Basically all of it I just colorized various things. Except for the eyebrows.

3. Yes, I had the clubsport in mind when I did the eyebrows, but did not have a picture to go off of. I just selected that part of the hood and copied it into a new layer to do that.

When I bought the fog light surround trim on ebay, they had chrome pieces for that sill there by the headlights.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
bump. This is very cool. Still have to figure out how to download and install GIMP on my computer.

Now that Gen3's have been out for a couple of years, would love to see more ideas generated on this customizing platform.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Link

As some of you here may know, I've added quite a few "photoshopped" customized photos of the 2014 Mazda 3 here on the 2014 (Gen-3) subforums.
I know quite a few of you enjoyed the police car version of the 2014 Mazda3 that I came up with, and I've been using that same file to show off how I plan to customize my own personal car.

Today, I've decided I would attempt to share the image/file I've been using for customizing the front-view of the car with all of you.
While I would hope that no one will attempt to duplicate all the visual modifications I plan on doing for my own build, I've left all the modifications for my build within the image as well as many other options I've added for everyone to play with....

WandererTJ, can you please post a new dropbox link? the one you have there says its not longer there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Link Doesn't Work :/

While I would hope that no one will attempt to duplicate all the visual modifications I plan on doing for my own build, I've left all the modifications for my build within the image as well as many other options I've added for everyone to play with....

Can you please reupload the gimp file? The link says it no longer exist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts