·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now the SSU is:
731-01-01: 2018 D484 20EA
731-01-02: 1009 1824 60F0
731-01-03: 1621 0073
Now the Walk Away locking feature is shown in the CMU but nothing happens when i turn off the engine close the door and walk away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Walk Away Lock option is uder SSU by:
731-01-03 B0 B1 B2 B3 in HEX
B0
b7 function is unknown
b6 Door Lock - Walk Away Lock option: 0 - Enable / 1 - Disable
b5 function is unknown
b4 1 - Visibility Unlock mode
b3 function is unknown
b2 1 - Visibility Unlock mode
b1 Door Lock - Unlock Mode sub-menu: 0 - Enable / 1 - Disable
b0 function is unknown

But, I am not sure if is posible to actívate this without advanced key less

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't do the walk away locks. They are the first thing to go unreliable when the fob battery gets weak. They are also unreliable when a passenger opens his door before the driver or if you walk around the car and open another door. No matter what you need to listen for the doors to lock.

Better just to get in the habit of locking the doors with your finger.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Don't do the walk away locks. They are the first thing to go unreliable when the fob battery gets weak. They are also unreliable when a passenger opens his door before the driver or if you walk around the car and open another door. No matter what you need to listen for the doors to lock.

Better just to get in the habit of locking the doors with your finger.
Agreed! Also there are know issues and anecdotes of people getting locked out of their cars having walked away from the car with the fob inside...the exact opposite of what the system is suppose to do. Your best security is lock the doors yourself.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Agreed! Also there are know issues and anecdotes of people getting locked out of their cars having walked away from the car with the fob inside...the exact opposite of what the system is suppose to do.
I wish I could lock the fob inside, or at least hide it on the outside of the car. I don't want to carry keys when I'm fishing or swimming, but I can't hide the fob nearby because it will unlock the car even if I wrap in foil and put it in a Altoids tin. Surfing forums are full of threads about what to do with those stupid proximity keys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wish I could lock the fob inside, or at least hide it on the outside of the car. I don't want to carry keys when I'm fishing or swimming, but I can't hide the fob nearby because it will unlock the car even if I wrap in foil and put it in a Altoids tin. Surfing forums are full of threads about what to do with those stupid proximity keys.
I don't understand.... whats the difference? What will you do if you had a regular key? hide it? left it inside the car? (how would you get in after?). You could hide the proximity key also (range is about 1.5m from the door antenna). Just don't hide it under the car.

I've never had problems with mine. If I forget or don't hear the beep, I just check the folding mirrors, if they are closed the car is closed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't understand.... whats the difference? What will you do if you had a regular key? hide it? left it inside the car? (how would you get in after?). You could hide the proximity key also (range is about 1.5m from the door antenna). Just don't hide it under the car.
I always hid my keys somewhere behind a bumper or on top of a wheel. I haven't found a spot where that works on my Mz3. I can always get into my cars without a key, but I won't tell you how because it's security by obscurity.

It's easier to lock the car manually than to check if it locked, and the Mz3 walkaway feature isn't reliable enough to walk away without checking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well if you don't like it just don't use it.

For my part I have lived with it for four years and find it 100% reliable and extremely effective. I also have auto folding mirrors which fold when the doors lock and so give that extra visual cue that the car is locked. The system absolutely ensures that you can't lock the fob in the car accidentally and also makes it pretty difficult to leave the car with the ignition on (a real possibility with I-stop in my car)

The only limitation that one needs to watch out for is the situation where the driver is not the last person out of the car. If the driver moves out of range before the last door is shut by a passenger then the locking doesn't activate.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well if you don't like it just don't use it.

For my part I have lived with it for four years and find it 100% reliable and extremely effective. I also have auto folding mirrors which fold when the doors lock and so give that extra visual cue that the car is locked. The system absolutely ensures that you can't lock the fob in the car accidentally and also makes it pretty difficult to leave the car with the ignition on (a real possibility with I-stop in my car)

The only limitation that one needs to watch out for is the situation where the driver is not the last person out of the car. If the driver moves out of range before the last door is shut by a passenger then the locking doesn't activate.
Google it....there are dozens of stories including Mazda's where people using the walkaway lock function with keyless entry get locked out of their cars when they leave the fob inside. None of the stories ever seem to get too deep into what people think happened or why? But even the Mazda manual indicates there are places inside the car, including the cup holder or down under the seat, places where the fob may not communicate. This would seem to be a possible cause for the car to lock when one walks away. Multiple stories of people at the filling stations getting locked out of their car with the fob inside. I don't know if a weak battery is a cause but that would make sense as well.

I decided after getting car the inconvenience of the walkaway function is not worth it, even though I too still have a back up plan to get back into the car and on my way even if I lose my fob out at sea or on some distant road trip.

We also should not overlook that the general keyless entry systems on today's cars and how they communicate with fobs, even with very high end cars, have known security issues, clearly known by the manufacturers which can be breached. Those are the real updates the car makers are not dealing with properly which can be fixed with simple firmware updates.

I make these comments as I have done several hours of research on the fob as noted by some of my posts on other threads....definitely significantly more research on the fob than any other aspect of the car, including the likely hellish and expensive scenarios you could go thru if you lose your fob on a road trip with no back up plan, except to have your car towed to the dealership. I also had some similar questions or situations people have asked.

Digressing a bit, one scenario I face when I'm on a long road trip with my 2 dogs in tow, no passenger, and requiring fill up(s)...I need to use the restroom at the service station and it's 95 degrees. I have to leave the car running and lock and unlock it using the auxiliary key. This is my work around to the keyless entry system since the fob and car's locking system will not let you lock the doors with the engine running and the fob outside

·
Registered
116 Posts
Google it....there are dozens of stories including Mazda's where people using the walkaway lock function with keyless entry get locked out of their cars when they leave the fob inside.
I'm sure that there are - and I'm sure that I could force the car to lock the fob in if I had to.

I had a Ford Mondeo which auto locked and I once dropped the fob as I slammed the boot closed. The fob fell into the gap between the outer boot lid and the car frame and so wasn't detected by the boot system - boom the car locked itself up in a shopping centre car park during a snow storm - very awkward to sort out

All I was saying is that I have had my Mazda 3 for 4 years and in all that time the car has never remained unlocked accidentally and it has never failed to remind me very clearly if I left the car in a nonlockable state such as keys inside (I sometimes leave them in the cupholder or on/under the passenger seat) and/or ignition on. To me that's a very reliable system based on considerable experience and I don't think its fair to tell people not to use it because of all the scares on Google

Not trying to start a flame war - just stating my experience to redress the unfavourable comments.

I don't think Mazda is perfect however, I really wish the Mazdas had the same Global closing system as Ford which is superb. That combined with the Walk away locking would be perfect for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts