2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have problems with the walk away lock not always working? I'm not sure why this happens but sometimes I'll walk away from my car and the doors don't lock automatically.

·
Registered
58 Posts
All doors need to be closed before you start walking away for it to work. When I'm by myself, it works flawlessly. When I have the kids, I have to stick around the car for the last one to close the door before walking away for it to work.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yup all the doors have to close while you're close to the car, within 3 feet I believe. I too stay by the car until everybody else closes their doors. Or I'll just press the lock button again to be sure it's locked. No biggie, I just make a habit of it now and work with the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm ok. I'm the only one in the car for the most part. maybe I'm just walking away too fast as the door shuts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's a habit to hit the lock button every time I get out of the car. I hadn't even thought about an auto lock feature. Maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens. Is there any sort of indicator that it locked the doors? Horn or other sound? Lights flash?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It's a habit to hit the lock button every time I get out of the car. I hadn't even thought about an auto lock feature. Maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens. Is there any sort of indicator that it locked the doors? Horn or other sound? Lights flash?
Well yeah when you lock/unlock the doors the parking lights will flash and you'll hear a beep. Not from the horn but an electronic beep. Though if you press lock twice, first will been then second press will sound the horn. The beep is not that loud especially in a busy street or parking lot, even with it set to loudest setting.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
And the sound occurs with the walk away lock also?
Yeah. When all doors are closed you'll hear a beep, then once you walk away you'll hear another beep telling you it's locked.

·
Registered
356 Posts
hmm ok. I'm the only one in the car for the most part. maybe I'm just walking away too fast as the door shuts.
yea i had the same problem. i had that issue 2 months ago. BUT... i also noticed it happen alot with rev 31.xx of the infotainment. after upgrade to 33, i rarely get the issue. my suggestion is to slow down getting out and stand next to your car until your door is closed before walking. i used to get out quickly and shut the door quickly and walk away. i think the sensor may not register you quickly enough if move in and out quickly even if youre still close to the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, it happens to me every now and again. I make sure to have it on audible lock so I know it's locked as I'm walking away.

Reactions: mooshu000

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried it out 2-3 times today when I remembered. It beeped as soon as I closed the door and then again maybe 3-4 steps away from the car. I went back and checked the first time and it was locked. I checked again the last time after walking to the mailbox and back and it was locked again. It seems to work properly on my car, so far at least.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have ver. 33 installed and it still happens occasionally. Probably if I walk away too quickly. When i do not hear the beep I just reach for the key fob and click the lock.

·
Registered
574 Posts
As long as you remain close to the car when you close the door, it will auto-lock when you walk away. Also, you have to be close when the last door closes, then walk away. Which door doesn't matter, it just depends on who has the fob in their pocket.

Heck, I'm trying to figure out how people always get away from the car with out the auto-lock kicking in. Maybe I need to move like Bruce Lee when I get out of my car. I get irritated that if I walk around the front of my car to throw away a water bottle, I have to unlock it to then get my backpack out of the back seat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As long as you remain close to the car when you close the door, it will auto-lock when you walk away. Also, you have to be close when the last door closes, then walk away. Which door doesn't matter, it just depends on who has the fob in their pocket.

Heck, I'm trying to figure out how people always get away from the car with out the auto-lock kicking in. Maybe I need to move like Bruce Lee when I get out of my car. I get irritated that if I walk around the front of my car to throw away a water bottle, I have to unlock it to then get my backpack out of the back seat.
I'm the only person who uses my 3. I don't have passengers. I close the door and walk away at the same speed I do all the time; I'm definitely no Bruce Lee!!!! ;) 95% of the time it beeps to say it's locked. However, this doesn't always work. I either walk back, open the drivers and door and close it again and then it works; or use the keyfob. It's no big deal but there's been a couple of occasions I've gone back to the car and it was unlocked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same happens to me sometimes. I think if my keys are in my left pocket it happens more, as I'm in between the car and Fob as I'm stepping away while closing the door. But I have not had the problem when my keys are in my right pocket. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Same happens to me sometimes. I think if my keys are in my left pocket it happens more, as I'm in between the car and Fob as I'm stepping away while closing the door. But I have not had the problem when my keys are in my right pocket. :)
I have the keys in my left pocket too.... but I have a RHD car and yet it still plays up from time-to-time. Just glad I don't put them in my right pocket now ;) hehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mazda Auto Walk Away Locking Not Working

Does anyone else have problems with the walk away lock not always working? I'm not sure why this happens but sometimes I'll walk away from my car and the doors don't lock automatically.
Just happen to us. Mazda MX5 13 Plate. The walk away locking has stopped working. I have tested, reset the settings, etc and have proved the function no longer works. Vehicle is now booked in under warranty.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is this only available on cars with the tech package or is it built into the car? The only option I saw was to auto-lock the doors after 60s of me not being present.

Personally I see this as added security more than functionality. Aka, if I forgot to lock the car with the keyfob I'm sure the car auto locked. I usually always hit the buttons on the keyfob

·
Registered
107 Posts
It still happens from time to time, I just make sure not to rush away from the car! :) It happens even more if the passenger is last one out, so you end up lurking around until they've shut their door until you shut yours. Listen for the beep!! lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts