2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a review from a car mag guy who had his wife(5'2") test drive the new Mazda3(mine has an arrival date at the end of February). The wife had four reservations about the car: seat was uncomfortable; she was staring through the popup display, which gave the front view two separate shadings; when she pushed the seat forward, the cupholders and armrest were too far rearward; and there was no large cubby that would fit a purse. Are there any short-of-stature women or men who can comment on these issues? I'm surprised, with the carmakers worldwide distribution, that these issues hadn't been addressed. I got the car because it was the only car in class with the front-collision safeguards.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
1st red flag...car mag guy gets his wife to do his job for him.
I haven't driven the new one myself, but I'd recommend going for your own test drive. Dude's wife may have Tyrannosaurus arms and/or be half blind. A cubby for a purse is a) unneccessary b) not a common issue for owners. My sunglasses don't fit in the overhead sunglasses (cubby) but I wouldn't bother even putting that on a list of gripes about a car. EVERY SINGLE problem she had with the car was cosmetic..and she's obviously stuck up about it too. I wouldn't put much weight into that review, trust your own judgement. Mazda 3 is one of the top selling cars in the US right now.

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
Welcome along chap!

I hear ya on the cubby side of things, Mrs X is maybe 5'6-7" and she had no gripes at all about positioning etc. There is a cubby under the armrest but the door cubbies are very much "bottle" shaped.

Can't speak for a purse, but it must be big if it won't fit in the glovebox (passenger side) maybe it won't matter if she will be driving mostly alone? Or maybe it would be more convenient for her to put it behind the front passenger seat?

Also the mag guy's wife may not have adjusted the lumbar support, hense why it could have been uncomfortable?

As said, take one for a spin yourself, see how it suits you for your needs.

Good luck chap!

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
The Gen3's ergonomics are not perfect for shorter people but my 5'0 fiancee had no issue finding a comfy seating arrangement. The driver's seat does go up and down...:yawn: if my woman (short torso long legs) can see over the HUD, there is 99% no way that a taller girl can't. I smell fail.

Why did you buy one without having tested everything out first? That's almost as big of a red flag as the reviewer's taste in wives.

Reactions: dlduffner

·
Registered
136 Posts
I read a review from a car mag guy who had his wife(5'2") test drive the new Mazda3(mine has an arrival date at the end of February). The wife had four reservations about the car: seat was uncomfortable; she was staring through the popup display, which gave the front view two separate shadings; when she pushed the seat forward, the cupholders and armrest were too far rearward; and there was no large cubby that would fit a purse. Are there any short-of-stature women or men who can comment on these issues? I'm surprised, with the carmakers worldwide distribution, that these issues hadn't been addressed. I got the car because it was the only car in class with the front-collision safeguards.
I'll give the reviewer that the cupholders can feel a bit far back (I'm 6'1, but I like to sit as far forward as possible, so I can imagine it could be worse for someone substantially shorter). I'll also say that, sure, it's pretty obvious there's no place for the purse other than in a seat.

I think the seat is super comfortable, but that's something where people vary according to taste. And I don't see how the HUD should ever be too high in one's field of vision unless one has a freakishly short torso. At least in the US, the HUD only comes in models with power seats...which move up. I can crank that thing up so high that my head hits the top and my neck has to bend for me to fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give the reviewer that the cupholders can feel a bit far back (I'm 6'1, but I like to sit as far forward as possible, so I can imagine it could be worse for someone substantially shorter). I'll also say that, sure, it's pretty obvious there's no place for the purse other than in a seat.

I think the seat is super comfortable, but that's something where people vary according to taste. And I don't see how the HUD should ever be too high in one's field of vision unless one has a freakishly short torso. At least in the US, the HUD only comes in models with power seats...which move up. I can crank that thing up so high that my head hits the top and my neck has to bend for me to fit.
Thanks. I test-drove it myself and liked it. Mine comes with the power seat; between that and the steering wheel adjustment, my wife should find a comfortable spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Gen3's ergonomics are not perfect for shorter people but my 5'0 fiancee had no issue finding a comfy seating arrangement. The driver's seat does go up and down...:yawn: if my woman (short torso long legs) can see over the HUD, there is 99% no way that a taller girl can't. I smell fail.

Why did you buy one without having tested everything out first? That's almost as big of a red flag as the reviewer's taste in wives.
I drove it and liked it. Your fiancee's experience is helpful and reassuring. Thanks. I'll ignore the relatively gratuitous and judgmental response.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I noticed at first that my car seat was uncomfortable.. then I realized I was sitting awkwardly.

adjust the seat and it's beautiful.

anyone who complains about mazdas styling is blind

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome along chap!

I hear ya on the cubby side of things, Mrs X is maybe 5'6-7" and she had no gripes at all about positioning etc. There is a cubby under the armrest but the door cubbies are very much "bottle" shaped.

Can't speak for a purse, but it must be big if it won't fit in the glovebox (passenger side) maybe it won't matter if she will be driving mostly alone? Or maybe it would be more convenient for her to put it behind the front passenger seat?

Also the mag guy's wife may not have adjusted the lumbar support, hense why it could have been uncomfortable?

As said, take one for a spin yourself, see how it suits you for your needs.

Good luck chap!
Drove it before I ordered it. I'm looking forward to keeping it for 10 years or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1st red flag...car mag guy gets his wife to do his job for him.
I haven't driven the new one myself, but I'd recommend going for your own test drive. Dude's wife may have Tyrannosaurus arms and/or be half blind. A cubby for a purse is a) unneccessary b) not a common issue for owners. My sunglasses don't fit in the overhead sunglasses (cubby) but I wouldn't bother even putting that on a list of gripes about a car. EVERY SINGLE problem she had with the car was cosmetic..and she's obviously stuck up about it too. I wouldn't put much weight into that review, trust your own judgement. Mazda 3 is one of the top selling cars in the US right now.
Drove it. Liked it. Ordered it. I think I'm in a no-lose situation. If it presents problems, who gets to drive it more? Thanks. You don't come across as a sensitive new age guy.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I drove it and liked it. Your fiancee's experience is helpful and reassuring. Thanks. I'll ignore the relatively gratuitous and judgmental response.
I apologize but my judgmental response stands. If you're buying a car for not just yourself, it doesn't make sense to me that all the drivers of said car haven't driven it yet.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Post pics of your 3. If you have any questions feel free to ask us here on your thread.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Welcome and glad to hear your happy with your purchase!! I can sympathize with the cubby for the purse...but I have a small purse soley for the purpose of being able to hide it in the car. I also don't understand these women who have to carry thier whole freakin life in thier purse...but then again...I've always been more of a tom boy :yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts