2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2016 manual trans and I’m the tach is a digital display of what gear your in. I don’t know how to explain this bout the digit number looks stupid as it has full of lines through it. Is there a way to post a picture so I can show what I mean?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have 2016 manual trans and I’m the tach is a digital display of what gear your in. I don’t know how to explain this bout the digit number looks stupid as it has full of lines through it. Is there a way to post a picture so I can show what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why does the 4 have so many lines through it. Is that normal? The 6 beside it looks like a normal digital number

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But why the 6 looks normal and the 4 dumb. That’s what I don’t get. No letters get displayed on the left side. Haha I thought the display broke or something guess it’s just made to look weird

·
Registered
689 Posts
My 2017 Mazda 3 has a different layout having the gear shift display on the lhs. The left numeral looks the same as yours. I guess the extra segments are to display alphabetical characters but this isn't needed for the gearshift indication. I guess Mazda just chose a standard display not specifically designed for Mazda's needs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The component shapes are obviously used to make other letters/numbers/characters/things
This could be something to do with the Auto transmission versions. I think they probably display letters (P, N etc.) I don't know because I have a manual.

Andy

·
Registered
689 Posts
This could be something to do with the Auto transmission versions. I think they probably display letters (P, N etc.) I don't know because I have a manual.

Andy
I think you have cracked it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The automatic transmission cars display R/N/P/D on that Display. on some cars you can light up all segements by holding the odometer reset button while enabling the ignition, with that you can see how the segments are made up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
By the way, I was wondering if anyone with Automatic transmission has this stuff shown when switched in Manual mode?
I mean, that when you drive in Manual Transmission mode, and you have high RPM, does it suggest you to switch the gear up, as in those photos?
I've read in User's Guide that it should work for AT as well, but it does not for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes this works on AT when using the gear shifter to the right to select gears - but not when using steering wheel paddles.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes this works on AT when using the gear shifter to the right to select gears - but not when using steering wheel paddles.
First thought in my head: "gear shifter to the right? What are you talking? It's to the left.", but then I looked at the country you're from and understood why you said so :p

Anyway, can you maybe share your VIN in PM and describe what car you have with what options to try to figure out which bit in car's module configurations is responsible for it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes some of us drive on the 'other' side of the road! should have made it clearer.

When you push the gear selector into manual mode (to the right in my car UK/Irish/Japan - to the left in Europe and USA)

Then you get the gear change info coming up in the LH display (which is also different as autos have the Analogue Rev counter/Digital speedometer/HUD). If you just use the flappy paddles to change gear then only the current gear is shown in the display - not the gear change arrows.

All this info is in the manual and as far as I can see the car behaves exactly as stated in the manual

Hope that's clearer

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes some of us drive on the 'other' side of the road! should have made it clearer.

When you push the gear selector into manual mode (to the right in my car UK/Irish/Japan - to the left in Europe and USA)

Then you get the gear change info coming up in the LH display (which is also different as autos have the Analogue Rev counter/Digital speedometer/HUD). If you just use the flappy paddles to change gear then only the current gear is shown in the display - not the gear change arrows.

All this info is in the manual and as far as I can see the car behaves exactly as stated in the manual

Hope that's clearer
I totally understood how it works. But in my case, when I use gear shifter to switch to manual - it shows basically the same info as if I would just use paddle shifters. It DOES NOT show gear change arrow. In my manual this function is with asterisk, saying that it's an option on some models. Most likely it can be activated in some of car's modules.

That's why I asked your VIN to compare AS Built data of our cars and maybe find the bits in configuration that are responsible for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts