2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my VRM's roof wrapped today. 3M IJ180 V3 vinyl with glossy over laminate.

It came out OK. Wish I would have removed the antenna base for a "cleaner" look around it, but I attempted to remove the base and nearly screwed up my headliner.

Anyways, here are some pics. I think the overall look is great, really changes the appeal of the car. May have my mirrors wrapped in the same stuff, but not sure yet. I have a few tiny bubbles in the roof that will work their way out over time.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Looks great. You could order a sharkfin and have them piant it gloss black to match.

·
Registered
103 Posts
:eek:hsnap 1: I think I might just do this to mine. Looks really clean! How long did it take you? Where did you buy the wrap?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:eek:hsnap 1: I think I might just do this to mine. Looks really clean! How long did it take you? Where did you buy the wrap?
I actually had a local installer do the work. Cost me $275 installed. Took the guy about 3-4 hrs or so..

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The wrap is a little "distorted" around the antenna base but you have to get right up on it to see (I know its there). Gonna see how well it holds up after a week or so and then have the installer check it again.

Anyways, I do like how the black contrasts against the red. Might do my mirrors also, but we'll see.

I'll take some better pics once the weather gets nicer here and I have on my new wheels

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
They paint and clearcoat them to match the factory color. You tell them your paint code number. I'm sure they would paint it to whatever color you want. The guys name is Arthur Contreras. e-mail him.VG Shark Fin Antenna - Home

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They paint and clearcoat them to match the factory color. You tell them your paint code number. I'm sure they would paint it to whatever color you want. The guys name is Arthur Contreras. e-mail him.VG Shark Fin Antenna - Home
Thanks Warlord. I would most likely go with a black sharkfin or VRM would work too. I hope it will cover the 2010 radio antenna base. I email them to ask before purchasing.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The vg covers the base completely unless you have a sirrius antenna. On my 2010 there is at least half an inch of room on either side and the same amount forward and backward. Plenty of room to adjust it perfectly before you stick it down.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I guess email him and find out what to do. Supposedly he's comming out with one that fits over the Sirrius antenna base. Sorry I didn't notice that your antenna base is bigger than mine.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Thanks guys. The wrap is a little "distorted" around the antenna base but you have to get right up on it to see (I know its there). Gonna see how well it holds up after a week or so and then have the installer check it again.

Anyways, I do like how the black contrasts against the red. Might do my mirrors also, but we'll see.

I'll take some better pics once the weather gets nicer here and I have on my new wheels
Actually from your pic you really can't see anything is distorted. Besides who is goona scrutinize the vinyl around the antenna. I know your concious of it but but I doubt anyone would notice it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Warlord:

Yeah I know about the antenna base but I know its there and its bugs me. Hopefully the guys at SharkFin get back to me and have a solution.

Wonder what the size difference is between the Sirrius antenna and standard antenna are?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I think it's the height if the antenna base. It would make the sharkfin stand off and not lay flat.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aww BALLZ! I hope they come out with an updated antenna as I want one now :)

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Did you measure and see if it fits?
Quote:
Many of our customers use our VG Shark Fin Antenna to cover their satellite antennas. ( i.e. XM/Sirius/GPS)
In general, if the antenna that needs to be covered is smaller then 0.75" H x 1.5" W x 2" L, it should fit under our VG Shark Fin Antenna.
VG Shark Fin Antenna - Antenna Base Fitment

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! Never saw that page.

Just did a quick measurement and found my antenna base (with stupid ass Sirius) is
1.5" H x 2.75" W x 5" L

Seems my wife's antenna on her 07 CX-7 would fit as the size is significantly smaller than my '10 antenna.

Oh well this blows worse than Richard Simmons in a ghey bar bathroom on a warm summer night!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Well. The sharkfin was a good idea while it lasted. :tongue:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
SHAT and I was looking forward to a solution to my vinyl issue. :sad 1:

WAIT! I just re-read the info on the site:
Many of our customers use our VG Shark Fin Antenna to cover their satellite antennas. ( i.e. XM/Sirius/GPS)
In general, if the antenna that needs to be covered is smaller then 0.75" H x 1.5" W x 2" L, it should fit under our VG Shark Fin Antenna.

Note: Some minor modifications might be required for wiring. ( i.e. cutting a small groove at the back of the fin for the wire to go through)

I think the standalone XM/Sirius antenna (the one's pictured on the web page) have to be smaller than the dimensions they mentioned to be covered properly.

I am still hopeful they make a SharkFin to cover my antenna base. Guess I'll find out when they get back to me :)

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Attach a close up pic of your antenna with a tape measure or ruler next to it to the email you sent him. He'll tell you if it will work.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts