2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just have issue with my battery (purchased December 2017 - more than 1 year old) and got replaced. The technician told me, this is the common issue of Mazda 3 and usually the battery will dead after 1-1,5 year. I am so disappointing.
For my new battery, I keep monitoring the voltage and found that, while driving, the charging voltage is fluctuate between 12v and 14v, as my knowledge, the charging voltage should stable around 14v is best for battery but if it fluctuate, the battery life time may shorter than normal.
May I get your advise:
- Is my alternator or any part of electric system have problem?
- Is anyone experience the same issue and is there any solution for this?
Thanks for reading, I am looking forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, unfortunately it’s a normal behavior. It’s caused by “clever” charging algorithms designed to save a few ml of fuel. This algorithm should only charge the battery once the battery voltage gets low so even if you drive a couple hundred km your battery might not be charged at the end.

I’ve heard there’s a “solution” though. If you completely disable iStop mechanism (not by the button in the console but by modifying the ASbuilt parameters) the “clever” charging might disable as well. Haven’t tried it yet since my car wouldn’t pass the MOT here if it had the iStop functionality installed and not working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, unfortunately it’s a normal behavior. It’s caused by “clever” charging algorithms designed to save a few ml of fuel. This algorithm should only charge the battery once the battery voltage gets low so even if you drive a couple hundred km your battery might not be charged at the end.

I’ve heard there’s a “solution” though. If you completely disable iStop mechanism (not by the button in the console but by modifying the ASbuilt parameters) the “clever” charging might disable as well. Haven’t tried it yet since my car wouldn’t pass the MOT here if it had the iStop functionality installed and not working.
Thanks you for your valuable advise.

·
Registered
681 Posts
iStop will not operate if the battery voltage drops too low. This has happened to me during the past two winters when I tend to make only short trips in cold weather. A longer trip soon recovers iStop functionality and battery voltage and specific gravity check out OK indicating the battery is fine.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I just changed the factory battery on my '15 after about 3.5 years of service. I was hoping for a longer life, but it is within the normal range especially since I live in semi-tropical Louisiana with long and hot summers that can be hard on batteries.

I do have a voltmeter, which allows me to monitor system voltage all the time. On my car, I have not seen such wide-and-regular swings in voltages. Normally, when I first start it up, the voltage will be around 14, and as the car warms up it usually drops into the high 13s. It will never drop below about 13.4 or so during normal operation, and certainly never near 12, which would indicate the alternator is not really keeping up with the load.

My car does not have I-Stop, so it uses a regular Group 35 battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts