2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. i have a 2016 Mazda 3 i Sport. basic car. 2.0 4 banger.

ive been thinking about adding a CAI to my car to boost performance a little bit, but i read that it may or may not void my warranty. anyone have any input on this?

·
Super Moderator
5,577 Posts
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. i have a 2016 Mazda 3 i Sport. basic car. 2.0 4 banger.

ive been thinking about adding a CAI to my car to boost performance a little bit, but i read that it may or may not void my warranty. anyone have any input on this?
Don't waste your money. A CAI by itself will do more to impair than improve performance. All it will do is suck hot underhood air into the engine. At best you'll break even, and when it starts to heat soak you'll lose a few hp. What they do best is make a lot of noise.
Adding a CAI won't void any warranty unless the dealer can prove that using it was the direct cause of whatever problem your car might have.

·
Super Moderator
5,577 Posts
There is nothing that will get much more out of the SkyActive motor. Mazda did not leave much on the table with this one. An axle back exhaust might get you a few hp. The only way you will ever see any sort of real noticeable difference is a professional tune. On 93 octane you could see significant gains with the 2.0, maybe 30+hp. No guarantee on warranty issues though, although some MX5 guys have reported that the dealer didn't seem to care about a performance flash tune. There are a couple forced induction kits out there but they are $$$$$$$$$$$.
If you want to spend money on your car, start with the important stuff. A larger rear sway bar makes a big difference. Better springs and shocks can improve handling and ride quality. Lighter rims and better tires are almost a must if you want any sort of performance increase. The OEM rim/tire combos are not so great.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 2014 iSport and the biggest increase in performance you'll get off the bat is replacing the hockey puck tires. That said if you have steelies it would be worth it to do some lighter rims and tires as a first upgrade.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would avoid CAI if you can unless your car never see water. You'll need some kind of bypass if the intake get blocked by a puddle of water. I had a friend blew a hole in his block lol. If you're worried about voiding warranty , then i would say just stay stock. You'll worry less.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
There is no such thing as a blanket "voiding your warranty." As @arathol noted, if you change something that obviously caused a secondary problem to an OEM part(s), the dealer/Mazda can deny a warranty claim on that specific and directly related OEM part(s) -- but the entire warranty on the rest of your car would still stay intact.

As an example, you decide to run a nitrous injections system, and you blow a hole in one of your pistons. Mazda can deny a claim for any/all motors parts that all grenaded -- perhaps also any attendant power train issues such as a blown clutch, but again the rest of your car's warranty remains intact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts