2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My contacts on my Iphone-5 are synced with Outlook 2013 on my Windows 7 computer.
I picked up my Mazda3 Sport today and the contacts seemed to load into the car from my Iphone-5 without an issue.

I decided that my first phone call should (must) be to my girlfriend 'Dianne'.
Regardless of whether I say 'Call Dianne' or 'Call Dianne Lastname' - the screen only displays names spelt 'Diane' (notice only one 'n').

Since the Outlook contacts on my computer are also used for Emails, letters, labels, etc. to my clients, I really do not want to start changing the spelling of anyone's first or last name.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My contacts on my Iphone-5 are synced with Outlook 2013 on my Windows 7 computer.
I picked up my Mazda3 Sport today and the contacts seemed to load into the car from my Iphone-5 without an issue.

I decided that my first phone call should (must) be to my girlfriend 'Dianne'.
Regardless of whether I say 'Call Dianne' or 'Call Dianne Lastname' - the screen only displays names spelt 'Diane' (notice only one 'n').

Since the Outlook contacts on my computer are also used for Emails, letters, labels, etc. to my clients, I really do not want to start changing the spelling of anyone's first or last name.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

If they're pronounced the same, I could see where that would trip up the system. If "Dianne" is pronounced like "Dianna", try emphasizing the "a" at the end. Otherwise, you may have to scroll through the contacts (with the commander knob, if you're moving) and select her name. Saying "Diane" would get you to the general area, so you wouldn't have to do much scrolling, if you have them alphabetized by the first name. Sorry I couldn't be more help, I haven't came across this problem of two closely named people. Whatever you do, DON'T change your girlfriends name, that could be big trouble if she saw it, my friend! Haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If they're pronounced the same, I could see where that would trip up the system. If "Dianne" is pronounced like "Dianna", try emphasizing the "a" at the end. Otherwise, you may have to scroll through the contacts (with the commander knob, if you're moving) and select her name. Saying "Diane" would get you to the general area, so you wouldn't have to do much scrolling, if you have them alphabetized by the first name. Sorry I couldn't be more help, I haven't came across this problem of two closely named people. Whatever you do, DON'T change your girlfriends name, that could be big trouble if she saw it, my friend! Haha
I do admit that this is my first day with the new car and I am not familiar with the voice commands.
However, saying either 'Call Dianne' or 'Call Dianne Lastname' displays only two 'Diane' on my screen.
I don't know what you mean by 'the general area' sorry.

Edit: Reading through the almost 600 page PDF....
There seems to be 50 favorite contacts (page 5-103) that can be stored.
Perhaps this is a kludge that would work?
However, the documentation seems to indicate that calling a favorite is from the touch screen and not voice activated.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I do admit that this is my first day with the new car and I am not familiar with the voice commands.
However, saying either 'Call Dianne' or 'Call Dianne Lastname' displays only two 'Diane' on my screen.
I don't know what you mean by 'the general area' sorry.

Edit: Reading through the almost 600 page PDF....
There seems to be 50 favorite contacts (page 5-103) that can be stored.
Perhaps this is a kludge that would work?
However, the documentation seems to indicate that calling a favorite is from the touch screen and not voice activated.
First off, let me say, I'm using android. But, with mine, if I say "Mary" it will come up (on the communication screen) showing all the "Mary's" I have in my contact list. It then asks to say a number (1,2,3, ect.) which corresponds with each "Mary" on my screen. (1-Mary Smith 2-Mary Jones, ect.) I'll say "2" and it dials Mary Jones. It really doesn't need the last name, it will show you a list of all those same names (on the communication screen) to pick from, by number. I would think, although you're using an IPhone, it should work the same. Make sure all of your contacts are loading when you connect with Bluetooth and go to the communication screen, and see if "Dianne" is showing up, when you say "Diane". As far as favorites, you may be right, as far as touch screen. I've never tried that, it's just as fast, with voice, to do it as I described above. Using strictly touch or command knob, favorites would be quicker, I'm sure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, let me say, I'm using android. But, with mine, if I say "Mary" it will come up (on the communication screen) showing all the "Mary's" I have in my contact list. It then asks to say a number (1,2,3, ect.) which corresponds with each "Mary" on my screen. (1-Mary Smith 2-Mary Jones, ect.) I'll say "2" and it dials Mary Jones. It really doesn't need the last name, it will show you a list of all those same names (on the communication screen) to pick from, by number. I would think, although you're using an IPhone, it should work the same. Make sure all of your contacts are loading when you connect with Bluetooth and go to the communication screen, and see if "Dianne" is showing up, when you say "Diane". As far as favorites, you may be right, as far as touch screen. I've never tried that, it's just as fast, with voice, to do it as I described above. Using strictly touch or command knob, favorites would be quicker, I'm sure. Hope this helps.
Yes, the IPhone works the same way.
I would be trying to call my girlfriend (Dianne) when the car is moving so the touch screen would be disabled leaving just the command knob since, according to the docs, there does not seem to be a way to use voice to call the favorites.
I am going to have to try 'Call Favorites' and see if that works.
In terms of dialing 1, 2 or 3 ... I think that I would rather say 'Call Mary Jones' than a multi-step process where I have to look at the screen.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes, the IPhone works the same way.
I would be trying to call my girlfriend (Dianne) when the car is moving so the touch screen would be disabled leaving just the command knob since, according to the docs, there does not seem to be a way to use voice to call the favorites.
I am going to have to try 'Call Favorites' and see if that works.
In terms of dialing 1, 2 or 3 ... I think that I would rather say 'Call Mary Jones' than a multi-step process where I have to look at the screen.
Nope, can't use voice to pull up favorites. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A resolution!
"Dianne" was not in the contacts of the car at all!
So, I imported everything again and paid close attention.
I message popped up briefly something like '1000 of 1050' contacts imported.
Dianne's last name starts with a 'Z' so she would be at or near the end of the contacts on my IPhone.
So, only the first 1,000 alphabetically were imported leaving my sweetheart out of luck.
To shorten the rest of the story - I created a contact group in Outlook.
I then moved over 300 'old' contacts into that group and deleted them from the main contact group in Outlook.
Then when I synced my IPhone with Outlook and subsequently with the Mazda - everything was OK.
Now, when I search for 'Dianne' - all the 'Dianne' and 'Dianne' are displayed.:wink 1:
Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have your girlfriend change her name until you buy another car :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
A resolution!
"Dianne" was not in the contacts of the car at all!
So, I imported everything again and paid close attention.
I message popped up briefly something like '1000 of 1050' contacts imported.
Dianne's last name starts with a 'Z' so she would be at or near the end of the contacts on my IPhone.
So, only the first 1,000 alphabetically were imported leaving my sweetheart out of luck.
To shorten the rest of the story - I created a contact group in Outlook.
I then moved over 300 'old' contacts into that group and deleted them from the main contact group in Outlook.
Then when I synced my IPhone with Outlook and subsequently with the Mazda - everything was OK.
Now, when I search for 'Dianne' - all the 'Dianne' and 'Dianne' are displayed.:wink 1:
Thank you for your assistance.
Yeah, once in awhile, with a large amount of contacts, it doesn't get them all loaded. Glad the problem is solved and you didn't have to change your GF name. Lol :001_smile:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just a quick tip. If you have a problem with the Voice Command not recognizing a name, try looking up that name in the contact list. There you can let the system say the name out loud, so you have a pretty good idea how it should sound in order to be recognized. Useful for out of the ordinary names ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts