2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered my '14 s GT back in April of 2016 with Corksport/Koni Yellows. Two months later, I switched out the Corksports for H&R. While I liked the ride better on the H&R's, I felt the Yellows were too jarring and jolting. In December, I switched to BC Coilovers. Well, that was a mistake...the ride was worse!! More jarring, more jolting, dashboard rattling, teeth clenching. I was miserable.

I read up on the FSD'S and they got great reviews. I was going to go with Eibach because I knew the ride would be comfortable but I just think the drop, for me, isn't enough and with having 235/40/18 for summer and 225/40/18 for winter the gap would be even more then the drops I see with a 45 series tire.

I looked into Vogtland springs. Read alot on them and the FSD's on other cars (VW, Audi, BMW). Both got excellent reviews. I took the leap. The drop is what I wanted. 30MM F and 45MM R, same as the H&R, which I love.

After three strikeouts, I finally hit a home run with this setup. The FSD's just absorb the bad roads. They soak up all the imperfections...no jarring, no jolting, no dashboard rattling, teeth clenching pain. Comfort wise, it rides like stock, if not better. And performance/handling wise is as good if not better than my previous setups. When you push her she responds, stiffens up nicely and handles amazingly.

I have fallen in love with my car all over again. While I loved how she looked, I just couldn't handle the harsh bouncy ride of my previous suspensions. My work commute is 104 miles round-trip, M-F and it was wearing me down.

With my new suspension I have it all....looks, comfort and performance. I have a winner here! Just a superb suspension.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very nice set up. I have been pondering going this route as well.

However, what do think about combining the vogtland springs with Bilstein hd's? Or sports? I have had plenty of experience with Bilstein in other makes, open to the fsd's since many on here do use and like the ride. And what is your source and part number for the spring set? Pm ok.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice set up. I have been pondering going this route as well.

However, what do think about combining the vogtland springs with Bilstein hd's? Or sports? I have had plenty of experience with Bilstein in other makes, open to the fsd's since many on here do use and like the ride. And what is your source and part number for the spring set? Pm ok.

I have never used Bilstein so I don't know about that. The Vogtland springs I purchased on eBay from The Tuner Shop out of Germany. I bought the 958016, which is for Gasoline engines. The 958017 is for Diesel Engines. If you search by the part number on eBay, you will find them. If you search for just Vogtland springs for the 3rd gen Mazda, pretty much only the 958017 will pop up.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfection right there!!!! Grats on finally finding the sweet spot!!!!:)
Thank you @minsanity. It was with your help and knowledge that guided me, even though I reared my head and went with the Vogtlands, LOL.

Reactions: minsanity

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Thank you @minsanity. It was with your help and knowledge that guided me, even though I reared my head and went with the Vogtlands, LOL.

Haha. Nah, I only shared what I felt you were looking for.....Glad you went with gut feel...Another great discovery there for the archives. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never used Bilstein so I don't know about that. The Vogtland springs I purchased on eBay from The Tuner Shop out of Germany. I bought the 958016, which is for Gasoline engines. The 958017 is for Diesel Engines. If you search by the part number on eBay, you will find them. If you search for just Vogtland springs for the 3rd gen Mazda, pretty much only the 958017 will pop up.

Shed some light anyone....

Would going with the 958017 set for diesel engines affect the ride too much? Since it should be a higher rate to make up for the motor weight, would it affect...

- ride height for front?
- complience and quality of ride.
- make for more aggressive ride more jarring??

Would I be taking a chance to get the diesel version as opposed to the benzine version? And that's with going Bilstein Heavy duty for shock choice.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Shed some light anyone....

Would going with the 958017 set for diesel engines affect the ride too much? Since it should be a higher rate to make up for the motor weight, would it affect...

- ride height for front?
- complience and quality of ride.
- make for more aggressive ride more jarring??

Would I be taking a chance to get the diesel version as opposed to the benzine version? And that's with going Bilstein Heavy duty for shock choice.

You'll risk losing the rake shown in those pics. On FWD handling side, you would rather have softer fronts & stiffer rears to help reduce understeer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Bilsteins are going to give you a harsher ride with whatever springs you go with. The magic of the FSD's is the variable dampening. They adjust to the terrain you're on. Over varying roads surfaces, they give a smooth ride. Traverse some bumps or push hard through the corners & the FSD's stiffen up & give you the firmer ride you want & need. The best of both worlds; a smooth ride with performance when you need it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Bilsteins are going to give you a harsher ride with whatever springs you go with. The magic of the FSD's is the variable dampening. They adjust to the terrain you're on. Over varying roads surfaces, they give a smooth ride. Traverse some bumps or push hard through the corners & the FSD's stiffen up & give you the firmer ride you want & need. The best of both worlds; a smooth ride with performance when you need it.
Perfectly said @moto-x_Mike

I still can't believe how smooth my ride is. At times, I feel like I'm not even lowered.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so what are you doing with the old springs then?
I had Coilovers. I'm selling them.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome! Btw, where did you get the rear part, where the exhaust sides come out of, that's looks really nice, and what exhaust do you have?
Thank you! I got the rear diffuser from MV Tuning out of Russia from their eBay store. The tips I also purchased from eBay. They are Akrapovic tips with glossy carbon fiber. I had the OEM resonator removed and replaced it with a Vibrant #1140 and had a muffler delete.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the review! I was going to do Vogtland's and Bilsteins again but I might go FSD instead when it comes time to bite the bullet. Very nice!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the review! I was going to do Vogtland's and Bilsteins again but I might go FSD instead when it comes time to bite the bullet. Very nice!
Thank you! Just wanted people to know of other options out there. I am super happy with this setup. Others may not like it, as I didn't like all my previous setups, but others do. Everyone feels things differently.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I have my OEM 18's on with Continental Extreme contact DWS06 in 225/40 for winter. I also added 15MM front and 18MM rear spacers(with extended studs). Damn, I like the ride better with this setup than my summer setup. More comfortable!!!!!, even though it's less of a sidewall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im currently running vogtland springs on my 17' hatchback with stock shocks (bad idea i know) and i'm experiencing the same thing you were (rough ride over certain bumps , jarring, jolting etc.) im looking into the Koni FSD's to replace the stock shocks A.S.A.P.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts