2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought all LED bulbs to replace my stock bulbs from VLEDs this weekend. I swapped my tail lights only, and drove off to work. Thats when I noticed that I would get really bad FM radio interference only when pressing the brakes. I get no interference when the lights are on- only when pressing the brakes. I've tested each bulb individually to try and determine if one of the bulbs is faulty, but even with one stock and one LED bulb, I still get the interference.

Does any one have any idea on what I can do to prevent this? I've read up on shielding the antenna wiring, but I dont know where it is, since its printed on the rear window (Sedan).

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have full LEDs all around in my sedan... No interference. Only interference with the radio i get is VERY slight, not noticeable unless its already a bad station. And thats when i turn on my headlamps... Not when i brake or anything..

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I originally bought DDM bulbs but they were acting up in terms of coming on and off with the headlights. Don't remember any interference though...
how were they coming on and off with headlamps?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Weird! I was about to go buy the Platinum's as well. If you want to experiment you could splice a capacitor into the LED wiring (right between the +/- wires; it's a capacitor so doing this will not short-circuit anything). Just make sure the cap is rated for enough volts (complete overkill, say 50V) and you'll be safe from surpassing the cap's breakdown voltage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird! I was about to go buy the Platinum's as well. If you want to experiment you could splice a capacitor into the LED wiring (right between the +/- wires; it's a capacitor so doing this will not short-circuit anything). Just make sure the cap is rated for enough volts (complete overkill, say 50V) and you'll be safe from surpassing the cap's breakdown voltage.
I dont know if I want to get that involved in order to just get a pair of LED bulbs to work...

I found some of my old DDM bulbs and tried them, looking for interference...and there was none. If only those bulbs worked, I wouldnt have any issues at all.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions about what other bulbs might work, please let me know!

·
Registered
345 Posts
The only LED replacements on the market right now that are worth a damn are the V3 Tritons from V-LEDs. These will actually fit in the 7443 openings, use quality Philips Rebel LEDs, a proper PWM so there is actually a difference in brightness between dim and bright modes, and have proper heat sinks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.