2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen a lot of Mazda 3's on here with their roof wrapped gloss black. Can anyone tell me if the vinyl scratches easily or gets noticeable swirl marks after awhile.

I'm considering wrapping my roof in gloss black but am worried about how easily it may scratch or look scratched.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

·
Banned
842 Posts
I know I've seen a lot of Mazda 3's on here with their roof wrapped gloss black. Can anyone tell me if the vinyl scratches easily or gets noticeable swirl marks after awhile.

I'm considering wrapping my roof in gloss black but am worried about how easily it may scratch or look scratched.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Pay extra for quality wrap. The cheap stuff will not hold up well or last as long and will also fade sooner then you want after a summer in the sun. If using GLOSS wrap (or any wrapping the first time) you may want to get in some practice applying it before attempting a large area like a roof the first time out. There are tricks and such for large area's unlike small parts.

I can not answer for "GLOSS BLACK" but I use Carbon Fiber wrap on a complete roof, pillars and hood stripes of one of my cars going on 3 years never garaged (but car covered when parked) and it still looks as good as the day I laid it on. 3m wrap series 1080

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My main concern is how easily swirl marks will show on a black roof, not to mention how hard it is to keep black looking clean on a car.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
So I've used a lot of gloss black vinyl. Just like paint, you're going to get swirl marks in it, and if you sit it in the sun a lot, some form of fading is going to happen. Might not be a lot, but like anything, you're going to need to care for it.

My major grip with gloss black vinyl in particular is the "orange peel" effect it presents. Depending on who's doing the install, sometimes it just looks terrible if it's not stretched appropriately to avoid the orange peel look. Anyway, under no means am I a professional at vinyl wrapping, but I've definitely done it enough to know the quality of products.

If it's of any interest, this stuff I found by Oracal is AMAZING. It's a 4 mil thick Vinyl, and a gorgeous high quality gloss black finish. Very easy to work with and stretch. I've never seen this stuff on the market before and stumbled across it the other month when I was looking for thicker mil gloss black vinyl. Check it out:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/ORACAL-Premium-Automotive-Adhesive-Including/dp/B072YDL5JW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518723851&sr=8-1&keywords=oracal+970+gloss+black[/ame]

I'm sure you can find it on other website too. I bough mine from some no name website I can't remember.

And as to be expected, 3M makes good quality vinyl too. However, I still notice quite a bit of orange peel in their gloss black. I will say w/o a doubt, Oracal is hands-down the higher quality vinyl when it comes to gloss black

1 - 6 of 6 Posts