51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I buyed a new mazda 3
But when i check my vin number it says

Model year 2001

I wan't tok ow when my car is builded in factory

On licenceplate it is 2016
But maybe it is a car what builded is in 2015 or 14.

Thus is my vin number:

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
Are you sure you are reading the number right?
Did you buy the car new or used?
What does your dealer invoice say?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 10th character of the VIN indicates its model year.
A: 1980 or 2010
B: 1981 or 2011
C: 1982 or 2012
D: 1983 or 2013
E: 1984 or 2014
F: 1985 or 2015
G: 1986 or 2016
H: 1987 or 2017
J: 1988
K: 1989
L: 1990
M: 1991
N: 1992
P: 1993
R: 1994
S: 1995
T: 1996
V: 1997
W: 1998
X: 1999
Y: 2000
1: 2001
2: 2002
3: 2003
4: 2004
5: 2005
6: 2006
7: 2007
8: 2008
9: 2009

·
Registered
82 Posts
OP - it's not a good idea to post your license plate number. It won't do these sleuths any good in figuring out your situation. You did mention that the license plate says it's a 2016 but plates in the US don't work like that so not sure what that means exactly. There's a plate inside your drivers door (not the actual door but on the car) that lists vitals such as "date of manufacture."

I think a picture of your "new" car will help.

As of now, my best guess is it's a 3rd generation Mazda3 with a lifted VIN number. That is, foul play was involved. Not sure if that's even possible these days with how VINs are branded into a car, but crooks always find a way. But crooks are usually more sophisticated and would at least lift the same year VIN, I would only presume.

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
OP - it's not a good idea to post your license plate number. It won't do these sleuths any good in figuring out your situation. You did mention that the license plate says it's a 2016 but plates in the US don't work like that so not sure what that means exactly. There's a plate inside your drivers door (not the actual door but on the car) that lists vitals such as "date of manufacture."

I think a picture of your "new" car will help.

As of now, my best guess is it's a 3rd generation Mazda3 with a lifted VIN number. That is, foul play was involved. Not sure if that's even possible these days with how VINs are branded into a car, but crooks always find a way. But crooks are usually more sophisticated and would at least lift the same year VIN, I would only presume.
I don't know how posting a plate number could do any harm. Thousands of people can see my plate every day just driving down the highway.

The VIN number is odd. Not only do the date codes point to a car made before 2009 but the check digit is wrong also according to the system used here in the US and many other countries. That VIN should have a 5 in the 9th position if your country uses the same system. Position 7 should be a letter not a number and position 10 should be the letter G if the car was made in 2016, F if it was made in 2015. Look at the door plate and see where the car was made. The VIN seems to say Mexico but even that does not match completely with what it should be. You sure the third digit is a Z and not a 2? It does however have the BM chassis identifier.
Take the car to the dealer (you did buy it new from a Mazda dealer?) and have them explain how the VIN system works in your country.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just discovered a VIN number located under the passenger floor mat. There is an access cover that you can open to see a VIN stamped into the body floor board. There are many places to find a VIN, look at them all and see if they are all legible and match.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok,

I life in the netherlands.

Maybe theye used a othe vin number system

My car is builded in mexico.
I can make a picture of the plate in de passengees door

There is thw black plate with vin and date

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know how posting a plate number could do any harm. Thousands of people can see my plate every day just driving down the highway.
I guess you're right. It just seemed like a random and odd piece of information to throw out there as a license plate identifier doesn't have any pertinence to the OP's original inquiry. But then again, this whole thread is a bit odd.

OP - nice ride though. I love that blue and the dark alloy wheels!

Reactions: gerbenz

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
This indeed is a very curious case...

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
Ok,

I life in the netherlands.

Maybe theye used a othe vin number system

My car is builded in mexico.
I can make a picture of the plate in de passengees door

There is thw black plate with vin and date
There is only one system allowed to be used in your country. It is quite similar to all the others around the world, and the date code should be position 10 in all of them. VIN systems are pretty much standardized with some small variations in different countries. I would check with the dealer for a full explanation of your VIN.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Verry strange, unther the passenger floor is the same vin number.

By the windshield driver site is a litlle window but is empty? Or is it a lcd with vin number.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wikipedia is not a source, etc etc.

That said, it looks like the EU has a slightly different requirements that fit within a similar looking VIN. While character 10 is "Model Year" in North America, the EU example simply says characters 10-17 are "Indication that provides "clear identification of a particular vehicle""

So it is likely parsing your VIN using NA rules, which are close (some fields have identical usage), but not identical for the whole string.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts