2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 hatchback (2.0 L automatic). I bought it brand new at 27 miles and it currently has 1,076 miles. This has been happening since I started driving the car, but it hasn’t gotten any worse.

When I’m about to go down a steep hill, I shift the car into manual mode and shift down to 2nd gear. I coast down the hill at 30-35 mph (I lightly brake when I reach 35 mph or higher and slow down to 30 mph and repeat). When the engine gets to around 3K RPM, that’s when I start to feel a vibration in the brake pedals even when I’m not applying the brakes. When I’m driving down the hill, I have my foot resting very gently on the brake pedal and I only press down on the brake pedal when I need to slow down. The vibration is pretty faint and I can feel it only with my foot. I also don’t hear any unusual vibration type of noise. If I’m in “D” and I’m going down a hill and the car shifts to a lower gear, I’ll feel the vibration in the brake pedal (when I’m not applying the brakes) when the engine reaches 3K RPM.

If I’m in “D” and I accelerate hard and the car goes up to 3K RPM or higher, I don’t feel any vibration from the gas pedal. I don’t feel any vibration from the brake pedal when the RPM is below 3K. The problem hasn’t gotten worse but it’s still the same as when I first started driving the car.

What is causing the vibration? Is it normal or is there something wrong with the car? Can I continue to drive the car without experiencing any problems in the future or will this get worse or cause other problems to occur?

·
Registered
16 Posts
^+1
Sounds like maybe your brake rotors are warping. My car also had the same issue, but I let that continue until my steering wheel shook side to side... would not recommend that. The dealer resurfaced the rotor and a year later, started doing it again. Resurfacing the rotors decreases the rotor thickness, therefore, can increase the chance of warping again.
That being said, I'll admit though, the smart city braking has kicked in twice in the past.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Conduct a run-out check on your rotors. They might be beyond tolerance.
Run-out? At 1000 miles in I don't think so.

^+1
Sounds like maybe your brake rotors are warping. My car also had the same issue, but I let that continue until my steering wheel shook side to side... would not recommend that. The dealer resurfaced the rotor and a year later, started doing it again. Resurfacing the rotors decreases the rotor thickness, therefore, can increase the chance of warping again.
That being said, I'll admit though, the smart city braking has kicked in twice in the past.
Thats not warping.Its uneven pad material transfer. Read about it here:
-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Probably what is wrong with the OPs car too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^+1
I apologize in advance if I’m asking too many questions; if you don’t have time to answer everything, I totally understand.

How long (or how many miles) after you bought your car (I’m guessing you bought it new?) did you notice the problem? And how long did it take after you first noticed the problem for your steering wheel to shake?

After you resurfaced the rotors and the problem reappeared, did you have to buy new brake rotors? How much did the service cost, with parts and labor? Which rotors were warped, specifically?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How long (or how many miles) after you bought your car (I’m guessing you bought it new?) did you notice the problem? And how long did it take after you first noticed the problem for your steering wheel to shake?
I bought mine used with <5,000 miles on it and started noticing brake pedal vibration about 30,000 miles in. It was a short time after that when the steering wheel started to vibrate. It was a gradual progression, so it's difficult to say how many miles in, but if I had to put a number on it, I would say 5,000 miles.

After you resurfaced the rotors and the problem reappeared, did you have to buy new brake rotors? How much did the service cost, with parts and labor? Which rotors were warped, specifically?
Yes, but I replaced the front rotors myself with StopTech slotted rotors and were a little under $200 for the pair, if I remember correctly. It was a 30 mins job with just hand tools. For reference, the stealership charged me $150 to resurface the rotors.
If you have the extra cash, I would replace the brake pads, too (as arathol metioned previously). That looks to be about another $180 for a front pair depending on what you get.

·
Banned
125 Posts
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 hatchback (2.0 L automatic). I bought it brand new at 27 miles and it currently has 1,076 miles. This has been happening since I started driving the car, but it hasn’t gotten any worse.

When I’m about to go down a steep hill, I shift the car into manual mode and shift down to 2nd gear. I coast down the hill at 30-35 mph (I lightly brake when I reach 35 mph or higher and slow down to 30 mph and repeat). When the engine gets to around 3K RPM, that’s when I start to feel a vibration in the brake pedals even when I’m not applying the brakes. When I’m driving down the hill, I have my foot resting very gently on the brake pedal and I only press down on the brake pedal when I need to slow down. The vibration is pretty faint and I can feel it only with my foot. I also don’t hear any unusual vibration type of noise. If I’m in “D” and I’m going down a hill and the car shifts to a lower gear, I’ll feel the vibration in the brake pedal (when I’m not applying the brakes) when the engine reaches 3K RPM.

If I’m in “D” and I accelerate hard and the car goes up to 3K RPM or higher, I don’t feel any vibration from the gas pedal. I don’t feel any vibration from the brake pedal when the RPM is below 3K. The problem hasn’t gotten worse but it’s still the same as when I first started driving the car.

What is causing the vibration? Is it normal or is there something wrong with the car? Can I continue to drive the car without experiencing any problems in the future or will this get worse or cause other problems to occur?
If it was me, I'd be straight back to the dealer with got a problem mate, fix it please.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
I bought mine used with <5,000 miles on it and started noticing brake pedal vibration about 30,000 miles in. It was a short time after that when the steering wheel started to vibrate. It was a gradual progression, so it's difficult to say how many miles in, but if I had to put a number on it, I would say 5,000 miles.

Yes, but I replaced the front rotors myself with StopTech slotted rotors and were a little under $200 for the pair, if I remember correctly. It was a 30 mins job with just hand tools. For reference, the stealership charged me $150 to resurface the rotors.
If you have the extra cash, I would replace the brake pads, too (as arathol metioned previously). That looks to be about another $180 for a front pair depending on what you get.
I would suggest that you go back and follow the link provided in post #4 above. Read it, all of it. Modern day rotors just do not warp that easily if ever. Its uneven pad material transfer that gets worse over time. It is caused by bad driving habits, primarily lots of hard braking or riding the brakes down hill, and stopping the car with the brakes still hot. If you had the rotors "resurfaced" then only 5K miles later the problem returned, that is almost certainly a pad material issue. If your dealer charged you $150 to "fix" it, you need to find a more knowledgeable place to get your car fixed.
There is an easy way to fix this problem. Its called rebedding the pads. Drive the car to about 60 mph, then get really hard on the brakes down to about 5mph. DO NOT STOP THE CAR! Get back up to 60, do it again. Repeat 5 or 6 times without stopping completely. Then driving around a bit until the brakes cool off. If there is a problem with material transfer, you should see it significantly lessened or gone afterward.
I don't remember saying to replace the pads, but just 1000K miles from new the pads should be fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar thing on my previous car, a Kia ceed. It had been sitting on the forecourt for a while and the part of the disk (rotor) under the pads had corroded slightly. You could feel the pulse under the brake pedal when you braked. Apparently this was common place on many new Kia's that had been standing around in fields after import before going to dealers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts