2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... I want that exhaust to be heard a bit more but not at all costs! I checked for options and won't go with pre-made axle backs like CorkSport or RacingBeat. Too much $$$ for what it's worth!
I want to do something similar to CS but maybe with just one muffler/resonator... So it would be one exit on one side (it's not a REAL dual exhaust anyway!). It would keep the costs down a bit.

I like Vibrant products! They are based here In Canada (Ontario). I would like to use the Ultra Quiet resonator wich would not be too loud (and compact as well) and have it custom built locally.

Here comes my questions: if i choose that route, should i take 2.5 inch (or 2.25... or 3?) and could someone tell me exactly the piping diameter on the 2017 2.5L exhaust line?

CS is using 65mm (2.5") for their axle back system but i just wonder how to match the flanges if they are not the same size... Any light on this would be nice, thank you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This has been discussed in other posts. The stock piping should be the same for 2014 & newer. Suggest you do a little searching in past topics.......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This has been discussed in other posts. The stock piping should be the same for 2014 & newer. Suggest you do a little searching in past topics.......
Well sorry for that... i did search on this forum and on google (before i decided to ask)... I don't get the answers i am looking for and what i get involve hours of reading :-/
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm definitely in the same boat with you on this idea of an exhaust that can be heard but not be loud and droning all the time. I went through an Ultimate Racing muffler and found it way too loud (for me ) on my 2.5 L. I've been looking into other options like the Magnaflow but they really are super expensive.

I suppose if I had a good additional resonator like the Vibrant you're referring to, I could have drowned out some excess noise

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm definitely in the same boat with you on this idea of an exhaust that can be heard but not be loud and droning all the time. I went through an Ultimate Racing muffler and found it way too loud (for me ) on my 2.5 L. I've been looking into other options like the Magnaflow but they really are super expensive.

I suppose if I had a good additional resonator like the Vibrant you're referring to, I could have drowned out some excess noise
I think so... All the reviews i've read about this product are positives (good noise reduction and realy high quality construction). I just want to make sure that i can fit the stock line (if someone could finaly confirm if it's 2" please!?!?) to a 2.5" axle back exhaust before i buy... And still trying to decide if i put one or two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm pretty sure the people at the shops I went to for my installation and weld work said its 2.25 inch diameter. But here's the Magnaflow I was looking into, the specs show 2.25 inch diameter piping. The instructions for this one says to cut up to the second cat and weld the entire cat back on, so the piping must indeed be 2.25

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure the people at the shops I went to for my installation and weld work said its 2.25 inch diameter. But here's the Magnaflow I was looking into, the specs show 2.25 inch diameter piping. The instructions for this one says to cut up to the second cat and weld the entire cat back on, so the piping must indeed be 2.25
Ok thanks a lot for your response.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok thanks a lot for your response.

Did you end up going with the ultra quiet resonator? If so, are you pleased with the results?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you end up going with the ultra quiet resonator? If so, are you pleased with the results?
I am looking into a Vib resonator too. Probably to delete the 2nd Cat and replace it with a vib resonator.

·
*The Electrician*
898 Posts
I am looking into a Vib resonator too. Probably to delete the 2nd Cat and replace it with a vib resonator.
i would not touch either of the cats, the skyactive engine has a very specific exhaust flow, mess with the wrong thing and your losing power. Anything axle back is safe, but the rest I wouldn't touch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Reactions: sp4772
1 - 14 of 14 Posts