2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, it was finally nice weather and the kids and I installed the two new horns. Wow, what a difference, you can really hear the horns now!

I have posted a nice install how to including nice big photos with circles and arrows here:

2010 Mazda3 Horn Upgrade How To Article

This is a very easy job. It took less than 45 minutes and cost less than $20. The article includes links to buy the horns from an online source.

PS - Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it as you see fit.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wow! That was cool! A bit more to get to the horns, but definitely easier to assemble (without all of the swearing)!

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
A much more involved way to install the horn upgrade, but probably easier overall. I know I spent a lot of time trying to get the 2nd horn on the bracket.

·
Senior Adventure Gamer
236 Posts
I didn't take the front bumper off either, so it was quite a bitch blindly reaching in that little hole under the car to mount the bracket and connect the wires. This looks a bit more pleasant.

I'll be treating this tutorial as directions for removing the bumper in case I ever need to.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A much more involved way to install the horn upgrade, but probably easier overall.
I think so. Besides the fact that I am a big guy with big hands, I'd rather spend 5-10 minutes to get a clear work area. You can't always do it, but it's nice when you can.

·
Registered
93 Posts
awesome writeup and pics ntechnic!

ntechnic - was there two other bolts that needs to be removed near the bottom center using a 10mm socket?

cuz I had to for mine... might be a safety thing for us up north.

in your 10th pic (first pic with the horn and 10mm writing), directly on top of the second hole on the middle flap, there is a metal clip. there is a rather long bolt that needs to be removed with a 10mm socket.. one on each side.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ntechnic - was there two other bolts that needs to be removed near the bottom center using a 10mm socket?
No, there wasn't. Just the nine hex head screws. Interesting, I wonder why and what purpose those two bolts serve on your car.

·
Enjoying A to B.
5 Posts
Stebel Air Horns to big a draw on power?

I have had these airhorns (TwistedThrottle.com : Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Motorcycle Air Horn, 139 dB, Black or Chrome - Stebel) on my motorcycles for a long time and they are by far louder than anything but an actual freight train. I'm trying to decide if I can get one on my Mazda without too much trouble. They draw a little under 18 Amps and need a relay circuit. Anybody know if I can just up the horn fuse in the Mazda from 15Amps to 20Amps and call it good or will I need to install a relay of some sort?

·
1,272 Posts
in your 10th pic (first pic with the horn and 10mm writing), directly on top of the second hole on the middle flap, there is a metal clip. there is a rather long bolt that needs to be removed with a 10mm socket.. one on each side.

You are talking about that clip circled in green, right? I noticed that too when I did my horns. I actually kind of broke the little plastic tabs on the fascia a little bit because I was not expecting them to be there :/

Apart from that small detail, the install went great :)

Stock horn:

New horns:

It sounds like a real horn now!!! :clap:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just ordered mine, cant wait to install it on my Speed3!

·
1,234 Posts
Wow that aftermarket horn sounds SO much better!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Anything is better than the stock setup. The "bean counter" that is responsible for this should be tar and feathered!

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
Anything is better than the stock setup. The "bean counter" that is responsible for this should be tar and feathered!
what were they thinking!?:shuriken::shuriken:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just installed these today! OMG now I will use these horns now instead of yelling out expletives with some hand gestures:) Thanks Ntechnic for the writeup! Check out my album to see where I mounted the two on my Speed 3 without the tranny cooler

·
1,272 Posts
So I'm an idiot and I'm going to give everyone a small tip so nobody makes the same dumb mistake I did.

When you install the second horn, make sure you don't point it up. I just mounted it without even thinking about its orientation, and payed for it. The first time it rained it filled with water and stopped working :stupid:

Luckily, since it is DC, all I had to do was dry it out and it worked fine. When I remounted it I made sure to make sure it was pointing down :tongue:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok, stupid question...

Does it matter if you leave the existing horn and just add the new one? Or, are most of you replacing the existing horn with a high and low pair?

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
Nopes, this thread is pretty much to just add the new low tone horn to the existing High tone one, so you still have the high tone, and are adding the new low tone. They harmonize perfectly, in a Major 3rd (music Jargon). You are free to use any configuration you like, but the usual people are doing is just buying the new low tone and adding it...hope this isnt redundant, lol...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts