2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this morning that if i have the Blower to off position, I still get airflow through my vents. I had the temperature set to hot air and blower off, I could feel hot air escaping the vents. I tried blower off and temperature to cold, I could then feel it slowly change to cool air escaping the vents.

Anyone else get this? does this mean there is no valve that seals the car from the outside and the higher air pressure from highway speed winds makes its way through the car vents?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I noticed this morning that if i have the Blower to off position, I still get airflow through my vents. I had the temperature set to hot air and blower off, I could feel hot air escaping the vents. I tried blower off and temperature to cold, I could then feel it slowly change to cool air escaping the vents.

Anyone else get this? does this mean there is no valve that seals the car from the outside and the higher air pressure from highway speed winds makes its way through the car vents?
All cars do this. You have the vents set to take in air from the outside. The button/switch looks like a little car with a straight arrow going into it. To change it, press the button/flip the switch to the one with the car that has a circular arrow inside it. This means close off outside air

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All cars do this. You have the vents set to take in air from the outside. The button/switch looks like a little car with a straight arrow going into it. To change it, press the button/flip the switch to the one with the car that has a circular arrow inside it. This means close off outside air
That doesn't make sense, if i don't want hot air in the car i need to shut off the blower and set the car to recirculation? This wasn't the case for my last two cars which were 10+ years old.

You'd think that if you shut off system, you don't have to go through some loop hole to stop air continuously heating or cooling the interior.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm kind of confused how you think this system works? Air comes in, passes through a radiator of sorts, and gets blown back out to you via a fan. If the fan isn't on some of it can still get out, the fan isn't some sort of magic air gate. Every car is designed a little differently so I'm guessing the last two cars you had just had a less direct path from outside air to the actual vents so not as much seeped through? It's by no means a design 'flaw."

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm kind of confused how you think this system works? Air comes in, passes through a radiator of sorts, and gets blown back out to you via a fan. If the fan isn't on some of it can still get out, the fan isn't some sort of magic air gate. Every car is designed a little differently so I'm guessing the last two cars you had just had a less direct path from outside air to the actual vents so not as much seeped through? It's by no means a design 'flaw."
Last car, a 04 sebring, I could actually hear mechanical noise when I set the system to off and the vents sealed. I assumed that would be a standard in a 2014 car, system off = no air flow.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Last car, a 04 sebring, I could actually hear mechanical noise when I set the system to off and the vents sealed. I assumed that would be a standard in a 2014 car, system off = no air flow.
That's kind of what I'm saying though, there is no "system off" in this particular system. There's... fan off. And you're making it sound like they cheaped out somehow, "I assumed it would be standard." I'd be annoyed if my car did what you're saying, because... that's not what I'm telling it to do when I turn the fan off.

My '04 Subaru (previous car) behaved identically, for what it's worht. I'd bet the higher-end climate controls probably do too.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That's how it is on all the cars I've had and been in. During the colder days I usually have temperature set at 70 and while driving I'll leave the the blower off and have it set to let the outside air in. This way I don't have to turn on the blower and still have warm air come into the cabin. If I want no air flowing through, I'll turn on the recirculate air button. I've done this on all my cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts