2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2019 3 Sedan AWD. Twice now in the last couple of weeks it has displayed this message on screen "Vehicle System Malfunction Have the Car Inspected." Also the car went into some sort of limp mode - still runs, but at about 50% power. Today the car showed this message just after I left for work and it stayed in limp mode for my entire 1.15 hour commute on highway and secondary roads. I parked and checked for codes with my scanner - no code show. I drove it to lunch three hours later, problem gone, no message, not in limp mode, running great. This has happened twice, last time was weeks ago.

I also had a problem described in the recall notices above re the safety belt warning system and that was fixed with shipment of part from Japan.

Any ideas what this might be? It is getting more than irritating to drop all this coin and have these sorts of problems repeatedly.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Well that's no fun. With all the software going on with new cars today, more things are prone to go wrong. You might need a software update to fix that. I recommend a trip to the dealer asap.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea. Lots of trips to the dealer which is an hour away and I am working about 60 hours a week. I'm becoming increasingly upset with the problems mostly because they require so much time to address. I am losing confidence in the car to provide trouble free transportation which is the reason I bought it in the first place.

But, yes, I have to bring it to dealer. No alternative. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of thing happen.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I generally avoid buying a car during the first year of manufacture to give time for teething problems to be fixed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me too. Needed a car now. The other awd sedans on the market were not my cup of tea. So I broke my normal rule. Predictably, I am paying the price. I hope, and I do expect, that it will get sorted out. Other than this sort of stuff I like the car a lot. We shall see. I'm taking time off from work this PM to get it to the dealer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mazda will get your issues resolved just sux's having to wait! I feel for your guys!! I had a buddy with issues like this with his new BMW and just be glad your not dealing with a BMW with issues... dealing with Mazda is a cake walk compared to other companys. so you have that on your side...

As a Brand Mazda has 1000's of new 3's without any issues myself included.. And most people do not come here unless they have an issue or looking to Mod "not to many mods yet". And thats a very very small number of mazda 3 owners.... I know 4 other people with the new 3 and no issues... also my buddy works at the Mazda dealership and is not seeing anymore 3's back in more then any model.. It sux's for the people that have issues but this happens with every brand..

Mazda is really good if you have issues here in Canada they take ownership... I hope its the same way in the rest of the world.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update. The dealer told me today that they believe they have a solid diagnosis. I did not understand it 100% but the gist is that incorrect data is being sent to the brain from the exhaust and causing the car to unnecessarily go in a limp mode to protect the engine from damage. They need an exhaust system part. Should have it tomorrow or the next day. They gave me loaner. Very nice folks. They seem like straight shooters. They have been understanding and apologetic. We shall see.

The loaner is a 2018 3. Nice car. But, I must say, the 2019 is a significant upgrade. I considered a hold over 2018 but decided to go with 2019 awd. Right now, assuming these problems come to an end, I am glad I went with the 2019 awd. Well worth the extra $.

I do not conclude from my problems and the few other posted here that there is some sort of unusual systemic problem with this new Mazda 3 or Mazda in general. But, when you have this experience it does take away a bit of your confidence that you are not going to be stranded on the road one day. If this fix does it, and the car goes for some months without troubles, that confidence will return.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have 2019 3 Sedan AWD. Twice now in the last couple of weeks it has displayed this message on screen "Vehicle System Malfunction Have the Car Inspected." Also the car went into some sort of limp mode - still runs, but at about 50% power. Today the car showed this message just after I left for work and it stayed in limp mode for my entire 1.15 hour commute on highway and secondary roads. I parked and checked for codes with my scanner - no code show. I drove it to lunch three hours later, problem gone, no message, not in limp mode, running great. This has happened twice, last time was weeks ago.

I also had a problem described in the recall notices above re the safety belt warning system and that was fixed with shipment of part from Japan.

Any ideas what this might be? It is getting more than irritating to drop all this coin and have these sorts of problems repeatedly.

That sucks. I hope you get that sorted out

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. My car is still at the dealer. The service desk guy told me yesterday the Mazda authorized them to replace a section of the exhaust system where a gizmo is located that he says is supposed to change the back pressure from the exhaust when the car is running on cylinder deactivation. They believe that is the cause of the engine warning and limp mode. Its now been almost a week. They have to order the part. My confidence is low right now. I don't get the impression they are confident in their diagnosis.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Update. My car is still at the dealer. The service desk guy told me yesterday the Mazda authorized them to replace a section of the exhaust system where a gizmo is located that he says is supposed to change the back pressure from the exhaust when the car is running on cylinder deactivation. They believe that is the cause of the engine warning and limp mode. Its now been almost a week. They have to order the part. My confidence is low right now. I don't get the impression they are confident in their diagnosis.
Hasn’t happened to mine yet however I wonder if this will be a problem for many later on. Just got my car out of the shop for the recalls. 3 issues thus far and I hope I don’t get another one.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Have some confidence in them. Mazda had to authorize the repair and they have to pay the dealer to do the work. They would not do this if they did not feel confident about the fix. Your car is under warranty and they want to get it sorted out as much as you do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
UPDATE:

My car is still at the dealer. Its been there since June 5th. They tell me they are waiting for the part to arrive to make the repair. They say the part is not available in the US or Canada and so it has to ship from Japan. Supposedly it isn't expected until July 1st.

This is my first Mazda. The thought that I may have made a mistake moving away from Honda and Toyota is beginning to creep into the back of my mind. But, I suspect its just the predictable consequence of buying a new model right after it is introduced into the market. There does comes a time when the car is so problematic that it needs to go back.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My dealer told me it would take a while to get my part as well, so I decide to take my car back and wait for a phone call. They called within a few days and the work was done. I wasn’t going to go without my car for a while not knowing what’s going to happen in the parking lot of the dealership to my car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dealer told me it would take a while to get my part as well, so I decide to take my car back and wait for a phone call. They called within a few days and the work was done. I wasn’t going to go without my car for a while not knowing what’s going to happen in the parking lot of the dealership to my car.
I have to have a reliable car to get to and from work. This car goes into limp mode with no warning.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to have a reliable car to get to and from work. This car goes into limp mode with no warning.
Gotcha. I understand completely your concern. Sorry to hear that you’r having such a bad go of it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This same problem occurred this evening on our 2 day old Maxda 3. Fortunately I was close to home when it malfunctioned and went into limp mode. I don't know yet if it will clear after sitting for a few hours. I hope to get an appointment at a dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave2019M3 - keep in touch on this forum so we can follow the issue.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I took the car in to the dealer this morning. The error message was Engine Malfunction and was still displayed this morning. When I first started driving it this morning it felt the same as last night, as if it was in limp mode. After a few minutes it seemed to drive normally but the error message and engine check light remained.

The tentative dealer diagnosis is a stuck oil pressure switch, error code P0842. I'm not sure if this problem is the same as the one described in this thread. The dealer said they weren't entirely sure that the oil pressure switch was the problem and the next step was to clear the error code and see if it happens again. So they still have the car and will drive it periodically over the next day and see what happens. The dealer immediately offered a free loaner for as long as needed, and I chose a CX-9. Overall an excellent dealer experience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We picked up our Mazda 3 from service yesterday. The cause of the problem could not be determined with certainty since the car was running fine when I took it in. They cleared the error code and drove it periodically yesterday and it didn't fail. So we're left with wondering what happened and if or when it will happen again. Nice to have the car back again!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, based on your description, it sounds like the dealer was guessing and just replaced the first thing that came to mind as a possible cause. They did not make a proper diagnosis. Good luck with it. Maybe they took a good guess. But, please keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts