2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a 2010 3 with the 2.0.

Does this motor have a VVT filter screen and where exactly is it?

I've seen very little about it anywhere. Ive gone to great lengths to clean up what was a sludgy motor but I get the pl1002 engine code....cam timing over retarded bank 1 from time to time. I replaced the VVT solenoid but I never located and cleaned a screen. Is it really right next to the solenoid covered by a hex bolt?

Please and thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have said Oil Control Valve (OCV) instead of solenoid.
Anyway....Come on! Doesn't anybody ever have this problem with the VVT engine code?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem update in case anybody can benefit from my experience. I pulled the cam cover off the car and sure enough, right next to the Oil Control Valve there is a hex key cover that screws off and under it is a really small filter screen. It was caked inside and out and it took me a bit of time shaking it in a pill bottle full of solvent and working at it with a pick to get it all clean again. So, if your mazda is getting the p0012 VVT camshaft Timing bank 1 over retarded engine code, if you ever suspect that the oil in your car has become dirty or sludgy and neglected at any time in its past and you are in there replacing the oil control valve, take the time to inspect this little filter screen. Can definitely be cleaned and does not have to be replaced.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Problem update in case anybody can benefit from my experience. I pulled the cam cover off the car and sure enough, right next to the Oil Control Valve there is a hex key cover that screws off and under it is a really small filter screen. It was caked inside and out and it took me a bit of time shaking it in a pill bottle full of solvent and working at it with a pick to get it all clean again. So, if your mazda is getting the p0012 VVT camshaft Timing bank 1 over retarded engine code, if you ever suspect that the oil in your car has become dirty or sludgy and neglected at any time in its past and you are in there replacing the oil control valve, take the time to inspect this little filter screen. Can definitely be cleaned and does not have to be replaced.
That's why I like synthetic oil better, because it doesn't get sludged or gummed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts