2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ah ok. Yeah, the HP numbers i was spouting out were in terms of Crank horsepower.

I honestly have no idea what the rev range will be like with this cam though... certainly makes me curious!

I see that a factory service manual has been posted about removing the cams and solenoids and replacing them. Looks like it is possible to do this without pulling the front timing cover. I don't know if i'll do it that way though. I've got some bungees i can use to keep some tension on the crank sprocket to keep it from jumping while im working on each individual cam, so atleast the option is there.

I'll treat it like any other car that i've mucked around with timing components on though. TDC, Mark, pull plugs, do wizardry, re assemble, free spin.

Gah. Talking about this just makes me want to jump in to it even more.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,334 Posts
Holy thread revival... i doubt he did it or still has the car.

Its a ton of work for minimal gain and lots of potential issues.
CK

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
Holy thread revival... i doubt he did it or still has the car.

Its a ton of work for minimal gain and lots of potential issues.
CK
A couple MX-5 ND1 owners have done this. Maybe 8-10 hours if you don't remove the heads and know what you are doing, ~30 hp increase, with the more aggressive stage 2 cams and appropriate springs 8k rpm is absolutely doable. However, the car won't run without having the ECU reflashed for the cams.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,334 Posts
You know you really shouldn't be mentioning upgrades like that around me... Too bad I'm SOL on available parts or the ability to do it. :(
CK

·
Registered
10 Posts
arathol so would you say it is worth it to get the bbr cams? I have a 2017 mazda 3 sport 2.0 and have it tuned for e85 by rafael from philippines ovt and he has already said he will tune these cams for me if i do get them

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
Its a bunch of work
arathol so would you say it is worth it to get the bbr cams? I have a 2017 mazda 3 sport 2.0 and have it tuned for e85 by rafael from philippines ovt and he has already said he will tune these cams for me if i do get them
Its a bunch of work (not easy) and a ton of money but why not? Tuning should be easy as long as you have a base tune file from BBR so you can start the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Hey all, I am still around and I do still have the car. Life has just been unreasonably hectic since I made this thread, so I haven't been able to do the work. Lots of fanily death, buying a home, the rona.... Shits been real.

So the deal on this is that it will still be happening. I hate to put a timeframe on this due to the insanity that is 2020, but i'd like to get it done this year. I should have the money free in about a month to order parts.

I will also be taking pictures as well as documenting everything so I can show everyone here how it's done. I did a few how to threads over in a frontier forum back when I had one, so I should be able to keep this as detailed as possible. Stay tuned and be patient guys!

Edit:
Also expect a parts and cost breakdown as far as the cams are concerned. I'll update back when I have all the parts on order in about 3- 5 weeks.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hey all, I am still around and I do still have the car. Life has just been unreasonably hectic since I made this thread, so I haven't been able to do the work. Lots of fanily death, buying a home, the rona.... Shits been real.

So the deal on this is that it will still be happening. I hate to put a timeframe on this due to the insanity that is 2020, but i'd like to get it done this year. I should have the money free in about a month to order parts.

I will also be taking pictures as well as documenting everything so I can show everyone here how it's done. I did a few how to threads over in a frontier forum back when I had one, so I should be able to keep this as detailed as possible. Stay tuned and be patient guys!

Edit:
Also expect a parts and cost breakdown as far as the cams are concerned. I'll update back when I have all the parts on order in about 3- 5 weeks.
Patiently waiting for your write ups once you get going. I'd love to see how you disassemble the head. I won't be doing any mods like this, but I can see it being insanely helpful if I had to one day replace some valve seals or a HLA.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im in the UK and my car is booked into BBR tuning in November. The engine will run with the BBR camshafts fitted with no tune flashed. Although I have actually done a 1.5l to 2.0L Skyactiv engine swap into a Mazda 2... same things apply.

200+ hp is very achievable when using the cams and a few other bolt on mods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im in the UK and my car is booked into BBR tuning in November. The engine will run with the BBR camshafts fitted with no tune flashed. Although I have actually done a 1.5l to 2.0L Skyactiv engine swap into a Mazda 2... same things apply.

200+ hp is very achievable when using the cams and a few other bolt on mods.

View attachment 279009 View attachment 279010

Maybe if you're using BHP and not HP. No one has achieved 200 horsepower on the ND1 motor. If you want you're more than welcome to check out my all motor 2.0 liter skyactive G thread on the miata forums.

On topic: there is a special mazda valve tool for the skyactive engines but as far as my searches have found only the mazda techs have access to them. I personally took my head to a machine shop and had them installed as well as the intake channels ported.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts