2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading that the Direct inject turbo engines should have valves and inlets cleaned, especially if your heavy with the throttle. How often or when should this be done? Will an oil catch can really help this problem? Are there other maintenence procedures to follow that aren't listed from the dealer to keep vehicle running at it peak performance?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated my vehicle has just hit over 100 k and driven on roads that would make great rally races. (gravel, bumpy windy)

Please respond, as I Love my car and want to treat her accordingly

Matthew

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
True that direct injection motors (and sorry I do not know whether yours is that), do result in significantly less underside cleaning of valve carbon deposits. Deposits in DI motors slowly build up over time on the underside of the valves and that many claim that periodic Seafoam and/or walnut shell cleaning helps remove those deposits. I know that Audi and some many other brands will sell you such "clean up" services (average pricing varies tremendously; some dealers will do this for $150). However, others dispute that such dealer cleaning is more than very marginally effective.

Have you noticed any diminished performance, for most agree that if there is significant underside valve carbon deposit build up, that that will reduce performance by a small to moderate amount?

The only other fact we know is that independent studies have confirmed that Top Tier gasoline does have extra additives that reduce those carbon build ups. In fact the latest AAA study showed that Top Tier gas reduces carbon valve build up by an average of 19%. (I only use Top Tier gas in my cars.)

Sorry I have not more definitely been able to answer your question, but if you are not feeling any diminished performance and such valve cleaning is not listed in your Owners Manual, you might not need to do anything at this time.

I am interested in soon reading others' posts below...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Intake valves

Road trip , wondering if you are referring in general to all direct injection motors or Skyactive direct injection motors . Similar but different. From what I understand one of the first to try direct injection was Oldsmobile back in the 80's and yes , then and since, there have been many others that have tried direct injection and some may still do. The problem was a fine oil mist that came thru the pvc valve creating deposits on the intake valves. What Mazda has done is created a reservoir between the equivalent Pvc valve and the intake manifold that separates out this fine oil mist and I believe drains back into the crankcase somehow either eliminating or drastically minimizing the problem. Any valve cleaning additives would have to be injected prior the intake valves . Will be interesting over time to see if this is really an issue.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Thanks @stegl. Learned from you post. Glad Mazda has a unique engineering to try and address this issue, for bluntly, solutions tried by others have not been a great success.

Hope Mazda's solution works perfectly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Road Trip.....You are right about using High Octane Fuel - NORMALLY! BUT not with Direct Injection Engines because the Fuel never touches the Valves like it does in a Port injected engine - sure wish it were different. That is why I was going to buy a Subaru BSR or ToyotaScion TSR.....their engines in order to hopefully take care of this Negative of using DI add Port Injection to every Cylinder.

·
Registered
346 Posts
"To eliminate the problem of intake valve deposits that plague current direct gasoline injection engines, the engineers at Mazda determined that deposits are formed when intake valve temperatures fall below 400 degrees C. Measures were taken so that the intake valve would operate above this point to reduce deposit formation."

Quote from the article attached... give the whole thing a read. Very impressive stuff ;)
13:1 Compression and 40 mpg on 87 Octane fuel? Introducing Mazda?s Skyactiv Technology

Full Article
13:1 Compression and 40 mpg on 87 Octane fuel? Introducing Mazda?s Skyactiv Technology

1 - 6 of 6 Posts