2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning, battery completely dead from sitting all weekend. This is the second time this has happened. Took it to Mazda dealer this first time and they said everything checked out ok must have hit the start button a second time when stopping the engine and drained the battery. Took it to a different dealer yesterday and they said I needed a new battery, which they gave me under warranty.

I do have a Valentine 1 radar detector plugged into the OBD unit with what they call a SAVY plug in purchased from Valentine 1. The service advisor said this may be draining the battery when the car sits for days without use, even though the detector is not on.

I called Valentine 1 and spoke with a technician. He said that there was a problem with the SAVY connector that goes into the OBD unit at one point....it was draining the battery on some Mercedes. They updated that software so it wouldn't drain the charge and I have the updated version. But I'm thinking that my battery is being drained by having the SAVY plugged into the OBD port. Thus I have an appointment with a local stereo intaller to get the detector hard-wired. Any suggestions on what wire to hard-wire it to so I can leave the detector on but it cuts off when the car cuts off and turns on when the car turns on?

I have had the detector hard-wired before in different vehicles, but the techs never seem to get it right the first time (turn off the air conditioner, the detector turns off; turn off the headlights, the detector turns off, etc). I just want them to get it right the first time on my new Mazda!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yesterday morning, battery completely dead from sitting all weekend. This is the second time this has happened. Took it to Mazda dealer this first time and they said everything checked out ok must have hit the start button a second time when stopping the engine and drained the battery. Took it to a different dealer yesterday and they said I needed a new battery, which they gave me under warranty.

I do have a Valentine 1 radar detector plugged into the OBD unit with what they call a SAVY plug in purchased from Valentine 1. The service advisor said this may be draining the battery when the car sits for days without use, even though the detector is not on.

I called Valentine 1 and spoke with a technician. He said that there was a problem with the SAVY connector that goes into the OBD unit at one point....it was draining the battery on some Mercedes. They updated that software so it wouldn't drain the charge and I have the updated version. But I'm thinking that my battery is being drained by having the SAVY plugged into the OBD port. Thus I have an appointment with a local stereo intaller to get the detector hard-wired. Any suggestions on what wire to hard-wire it to so I can leave the detector on but it cuts off when the car cuts off and turns on when the car turns on?

I have had the detector hard-wired before in different vehicles, but the techs never seem to get it right the first time (turn off the air conditioner, the detector turns off; turn off the headlights, the detector turns off, etc). I just want them to get it right the first time on my new Mazda!
If you are hooking it up under the rear view mirror and have the sGT, you can tap into the wiring for the auto-dimming mirror. Look at my instructions for installing the Homelink mirror in the how-to section. If not, you can put an add-a-circuit tap on the bottom fuse in the fuse panel in the driver footwell and run that up the a-pillar. Removing the A-pillar will require replacing one of the fasteners as you will probably break it when it is removed. The bottom fuse only provides power when the car is on (i.e., the accessories are on).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are hooking it up under the rear view mirror and have the sGT, you can tap into the wiring for the auto-dimming mirror. Look at my instructions for installing the Homelink mirror in the how-to section. If not, you can put an add-a-circuit tap on the bottom fuse in the fuse panel in the driver footwell and run that up the a-pillar. Removing the A-pillar will require replacing one of the fasteners as you will probably break it when it is removed. The bottom fuse only provides power when the car is on (i.e., the accessories are on).
Will the stereo shop intaller know what an add-a-circuit tap is and have access to one? I'm not sure what all comes in the Direct Wire Power Adapter Kit I ordered from Valentine1: An adatpter, fuse and wiriing harness connector I think. Thanks for your help, I'm stupid with it comes to electronics!:wink 1:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Will the stereo shop intaller know what an add-a-circuit tap is and have access to one? I'm not sure what all comes in the Direct Wire Power Adapter Kit I ordered from Valentine1: An adatpter, fuse and wiriing harness connector I think. Thanks for your help, I'm stupid with it comes to electronics!:wink 1:
Your installer will know what a fuse tap is. Just make sure he taps the fuse I mentioned. If you use an add a circuit tap you won't need the fuse that comes with the kit. If he's good, He could wire it in directly to the back of the fuse, but I prefer a fuse tap because it can always be easily removed. When going up the A-pillar, make sure you tie it into the wires that are already there as you have an air bag that shouldn't be hindered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts