2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering....does anything happen if you use the paddle shifters while the transmission is in 'Drive' rather than manual mode?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, you can downshift to override the auto-selected gear.... If after a few seconds the revs return to a low level, auto will kick back in... Try it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
184 Posts
Note that if you use the paddle to downshift while in drive and enter the 'D/M' mode, you are then responsible for the upshift (unless it goes back to D mode again first). If you don't upshift and you are accelerating hard, it will just sit on the rev limiter until it goes back to D mode.

edit: But yes, it's VERY convenient :) Love it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just wondering....does anything happen if you use the paddle shifters while the transmission is in 'Drive' rather than manual mode?
Yes, you can shift the gears and it will indicate the new gear you are in (I wish it would show which gear you are in all the time). After a short while (depending on how you are driving) it will revert to automatic mode and the gear selection indicator disappears.

Interestingly, my wife has a car (Subaru Outback) with paddle shifters, but I found that I did not like them for controlling the manual mode (mostly because they turn with the steering wheel). For a long time I did not realize that you could also use the paddles in automatic (CVT) mode, so now I sometimes do that. [The car has no provision for changing gear with the shifter.]

In my Mazda 3 I always use manual mode, but I control it with the shifter. I previously owned a Mazda 6 which I drove that way, so I am used to it. I occasionally use the paddles on the highway, but I could live without them.

For me the only bad thing about using the shifter is that most other manufacturers have the shift pattern reversed. If one had two cars in the household with different patterns (we don't) I think it would be extremely confusing, and borderline dangerous.

I am surprised there has been no effort to standardize the pattern. Personally I find the Mazda way (push-down, pull-up) more natural, but could adapt to the other way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.
Just one additional feature - If you downshift in D, it goes to manual mode. HOWEVER, if you floor it, the transmission will downshift accordingly and switch back into D. I've been playing around with it lately :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I constantly pull the upshift paddle to try and get the car to be more economic. The car says ****-off, and then I remember "oh yeah, me and you do like to have fun, don't we?" and then I floor it.
:)

The car really needs to beep when it is about to automatically downshift for you. That shit is annoying when you are in D/M and you are about to floor it and you redline unexpectedly because the car thought it was doing you a favor by downshifting.

I guess I should be thankful that the car shifts smoothly enough that I don't notice when it downshifts...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I constantly pull the upshift paddle to try and get the car to be more economic. The car says ****-off, and then I remember "oh yeah, me and you do like to have fun, don't we?" and then I floor it.
:)

The car really needs to beep when it is about to automatically downshift for you. That shit is annoying when you are in D/M and you are about to floor it and you redline unexpectedly because the car thought it was doing you a favor by downshifting.

I guess I should be thankful that the car shifts smoothly enough that I don't notice when it downshifts...
This used to happen to me at first as well - but I realized I was hitting the gas first then downshifting, which obviously is a no-no. Next time you want to use the paddle, plan your pass, downshift into a proper gear, then give it gas & upshift as needed.

It's a lot easier with a stick, but the paddle shifters take some time to get used to - especially if you accidentally downshift 2 gears instead of one, because the auto transmission thought it was doing you a favor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
... paddle shifters, but I found that I did not like them for controlling the manual mode (mostly because they turn with the steering wheel).
Yep, this is bugging me too and as a result I usually use the shifter. It's always where I want it to be :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thinking of playing with the Paddle Shifters at some point. One question I have is - has anyone that uses them noticed an impact on mileage? Does going into manual mode help (or hurt) mpg? or no noticeable difference - Thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts
mine is about the same. sometimes better, sometimes worse, it just depends on how you're driving.

Reactions: Ryche

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thinking of playing with the Paddle Shifters at some point. One question I have is - has anyone that uses them noticed an impact on mileage? Does going into manual mode help (or hurt) mpg? or no noticeable difference - Thanks!
You can go either way. Basically the more accelerating you do in a higher gear, the better your mileage will be. Of course it depends on load and blah blah.

I find using them in Drive is annoying because it reverses my decision too quickly. I mostly use the manual mode if I want to shift–and sometimes I can get better mileage on the highway by keeping it in 6th as long as possible.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Does anyone know why when I drive in manual mode I'm unable to shift up with the paddle shifter, but I can shift up with the stick.
Where your RPMs just slightly higher when you used the shifter than they were when your used the paddles?

The car has a cutoff on the up-shift if you're not over a specific amount of RPMs. It's kind of lame because if you're cruising at a lower speed, it won't let you shift up in to 5th or 6th. The car doesn't want to create a stall situation, so it doesn't let you do it.

Reactions: petahbread

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where your RPMs just slightly higher when you used the shifter than they were when your used the paddles?

The car has a cutoff on the up-shift if you're not over a specific amount of RPMs. It's kind of lame because if you're cruising at a lower speed, it won't let you shift up in to 5th or 6th. The car doesn't want to create a stall situation, so it doesn't let you do it.

ah I see. Yeah I just sometimes want to cruise afterwards

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did have a question regarding the right paddle shifter, though. It says "+ / Off" on the paddle. The owner's manual doesn't state what the "Off" function does, because I can use cruise in manual mode.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did have a question regarding the right paddle shifter, though. It says "+ / Off" on the paddle. The owner's manual doesn't state what the "Off" function does, because I can use cruise in manual mode.
The off function is for when you are using the paddle shifters in Drive. If you select a gear in drive and then want to go back to regular automatic shifting immediately, you can hold the + paddle until it turns off.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jerry and Nathan - Thank you! Your answers are kind of what I expected, but figured I'd ask people with experience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts