2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Sky and when I use the power window buttons at night it causes the headlights to dim momentarily. Other electronic functions causes similar results. It lasts for about 1 to 2 seconds. Very noticeable on high beams mode. Apparently a capacitor would need to be installed in line with the alternator so that any sudden surge of current would be taken from the capacitor and not the alternator. Looks like our alternator is underpowered. People installing powerful amplifiers on their audio system have similar effects.

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
My first guess is the battery isn't a high enough Amperage.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery ( by itself ) is used to start the car. Once the car is running the power needed for accessories are supplied by the alternator's cables in conjunction with the battery. So it draws from the alternator also. This allows the battery to charge while consuming some power. That's why more powerful audio amplifiers that are installed in cars need a capacitor in line with the battery/alternator. Usually for the sub-woofer as if take surge of power to move the sub. Getting a more powerful alternator could also fix the issue.

There's a ECU re-flash for dimming lights??? Interesting. I'll have to bring that up to the dealer.

TSB 01-19/13 and 01-20/13 fixed both dimming lights and also the sudden engine revv up when downshifting in manual trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts