2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does this only work with USB? does it work with my iPhone connected via bluetooth?

i tried using Play John Mayer and it didn't work.

thanks for reading!

also additionally i have another issue. i have absolutely no text message, Facebook, or email reading.

i looked in my settings and "text messages" is greyed out. i have bluetooth iPhone enabled and it works for audio. the setting has "data and audio" on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
There's an issue with iphones and text messages for this car. I also tried voice commands for the music play and without luck on my Nexus 5

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was told it wouldn't work but.. Go to Bluetooth on your iPhone... Hit the "I" for info for the Mazda Bluetooth and turn notifications on. This will enable the car to get your texts and read them to you. It won't let you reply through the car for some reason.

As for the voice commands... You may need to specify the source... "Play USB John Mayer" or "Play Bluetooth John Mayer"... I know it works for when you want to play a certain XM station...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got the text messages to work! the car voice command not so much. when i say "play bluetooth audio artist john mayer" it says "can only use this function with usb.

when i do it with USB it says "loading USB song list" if i keep doing it, it says the same thing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try saying, "play Black Sabbath" instead.

J/k. I resisted the urge to riff on John Mayer until somebody else broke the seal. I'm actually neutral on Mayer, for the record. His appearance with ?uestlove on Chappelle's Show gave him a credibility boost with me :)

Srsly tho, it seems to work best when you have already selected the audio source that contains the content you want. It does work on USB for me. I don't have an iPhone, but I've seen other with similar complaints using iPhone Bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
136 Posts
got the text messages to work! the car voice command not so much. when i say "play bluetooth audio artist john mayer" it says "can only use this function with usb.

when i do it with USB it says "loading USB song list" if i keep doing it, it says the same thing.
How do you have your thumb set up? Did just load your music files to it, or did you organize with folders and sub folders?

I just went out to my hatch and attempted voice play. It did not work with song name, but I was able to get it to recognize it by artist. Press your voice button, wait for the beep and say... "Play Artist......"

That's the steps that I took to get it to play from my USB drive. My drive is set up with strictly music only... there are no folders or subfolders.

Another thing... if you're already playing from the USB, then just say the play artist. I believe its the same way as if you're using bluetooth audio as well..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm on version 33 and my voice control for music works fine for the most part, you first have to specify the action:

Play Artist.... Wait for the artist list to appear and the system will ask, What artist? Then after the beep say the artist. The same for albums, saying the full command almost never works i.e.. Play Lindsey Stirling.

Also you need to give the car some time to cache the music data base, if you try and the car is still working on this it will say "loading USB song list"

I have my MZD3 set to Spanish but recognize the English artist names in English pronunciation really well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts