2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my UOA with you all. There's a lot of debate as to whether or not oil needs to be changed early (whether that be 500, 1000, or x miles) for break-in purposes. The oil sent in was the factory fill which is Mazda's proprietary 0W-20 with molybdenum. Personally, I am in the camp that believes you should follow the manufacturer's recommendations or tweak the oil change interval based on your specific driving habits.

This vehicle was purchased in the first week of August 2014 and had about 20 miles on it. I did not perform any special break-in procedures. I just drove it how I wanted (fast, slow, and in between). It now has about 3300 miles on it and I'll perform another UOA at 5,000 miles just to see how much longer Blackstone recommends before another oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
wow there is a surprising amount of metals in the first oil change. Im glad I didn't leave mine in the 6k miles the dealer wanted to.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Change it early! I did a Blackstone test and even though I changed the oil at 1,000 miles and then changed it again at 5,000 miles, the second oil change read high on the iron and silicone. Nothing really bad but the report was clear, the engine manufacturing and assembly process leaves behind a lot of silicone and iron. The sooner you get that stuff out of the oil, the better.

I will change my oil every 4,000 miles to be on the safe side until the wear-in numbers drop.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Change it early! I did a Blackstone test and even though I changed the oil at 1,000 miles and then changed it again at 5,000 miles, the second oil change read high on the iron and silicone. Nothing really bad but the report was clear, the engine manufacturing and assembly process leaves behind a lot of silicone and iron. The sooner you get that stuff out of the oil, the better.

I will change my oil every 4,000 miles to be on the safe side until the wear-in numbers drop.
Question: So if you change the oil early, then do you put back in the Mazda 0w-20 with Moly?
I have 1270 miles and am considering an early oil change ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts