2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car used a few weeks back, about 40k on it at the time, and I just noticed this strange breakout in the pedal box that I can't find in the manual. Was my bad to not check there when I made the purchase, it appeared to have a clean CarFax and I guess I went way too easy on it.

edit:: Can't post links as a totally new member, anyone know what the limit is?

I can describe it at least. It breaks out of what looks like the drivers side fuse box (I haven't removed the panel to completely check), and connects to a large box (about half the size of a cigarette pack) with a blue trimmer. The breakout also seems to lead to a thumb sized box, mounted near the front hood release lever. It definitely doesn't look OEM, since it uses spade connectors and electrical tape instead proper connectors and heatshrink.

Any idea what the breakout is? I'll try to get a picture up as soon as I get permission, or maybe via PM if someone has the time? I thought it was some sort of insurance monitoring device, but upon closer inspection, it looks like something else. Nothing seems to be stuck into the OBD port, so I can't quite figure what this is without tearing it down. First car / Mazda, so I'm not really sure where to even start.

edit:: Maybe it's audio? I'm hesitant to mess with it without any idea what it is though. Does the service manual tell you how to pull off the bottom left footwell cover?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further research makes me think it might be something to skew the MAT sensor, but at the same time, the small thumb sized box confuses me. I don't recall seeing an additional switch with most of those "add more power with this potentiometer mod" kits.

The pot is also to be adjusted with a screwdriver, not with a thumb dial. It's zip tied right to the cross bar in the pedal box, totally non adjustable while driving. Might be able to reach down and hit the thumb button while stopped though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correcting, meant IAT (intake air temperature), not MAT (manifold air temperature, confused it with MAP), my brain is making up acronyms at this time of day

1 - 3 of 3 Posts