2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mp3s are tagged correctly and usually the USB music plays fine, but yesterday it stopped displaying album and artist. The music plays fine, but it shows "Unknown artist" and "Unknown album," although track title and album art show correctly. The previous day it was working fine. This is happening on one of my USB drives but not the second.

I tried removing the drive, formatting it, and then putting files back on to it and inserting it into the other slot. But that didn't help. The system seems to have cached the drive info and continues to show "unknown." Or is it possibly a Gracenote problem?

I think I will try putting the files on a different drive to see if it reads correctly. I may also try reinstalling Gracenote. Does anyone have other suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
I still have no idea how to delete that f*cking cache on demand. The only working solution for me was - factory reset of CMU.

I remember once after I gave the car for fixing to dealer for a couple of day, they gave it back with tracks having wrong titles. Like for example, Song A play, but shows Artist Name and Title of Song B.
Only got it fixed by resetting the CMU. There should be an easier way to delete this cache. I bet we can do it with tweaks. We only have to find out where the cache files are stored.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reinstalling Gracenote had no effect, so it seemed to be a cache issue. But I found a fix: I formatted the drive and gave it a new volume label, then put my files back on. Then the system displayed all the info correctly. It seems that changing the volume label makes the system think it's a different drive and forces it to build up a new cache/database from scratch.

I still have no idea what made it fail in the first place, but at least I have a fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Reinstalling Gracenote had no effect, so it seemed to be a cache issue. But I found a fix: I formatted the drive and gave it a new volume label, then put my files back on. Then the system displayed all the info correctly. It seems that changing the volume label makes the system think it's a different drive and forces it to build up a new cache/database from scratch.

I still have no idea what made it fail in the first place, but at least I have a fix.
There was a suggestion earlier in other thread that placing music in one folder and then renaming it - also helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a suggestion earlier in other thread that placing music in one folder and then renaming it - also helps.
Thanks. I may try that if it happens again. For now renaming the drive seems to be good.

Now that I think about it, maybe renaming the drive without formatting would work too. Just another way to force the system to recognize a "new" drive. Something else to try if I have the problem again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
My mp3s are tagged correctly and usually the USB music plays fine, but yesterday it stopped displaying album and artist. The music plays fine, but it shows "Unknown artist" and "Unknown album," although track title and album art show correctly. The previous day it was working fine. This is happening on one of my USB drives but not the second.

I tried removing the drive, formatting it, and then putting files back on to it and inserting it into the other slot. But that didn't help. The system seems to have cached the drive info and continues to show "unknown." Or is it possibly a Gracenote problem?

I think I will try putting the files on a different drive to see if it reads correctly. I may also try reinstalling Gracenote. Does anyone have other suggestions?
I learned the hard way - see my guide here http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/221066-guide-how-play-music-usb-drive-mzd-connect.html
My tip no. 12 solves the caching problem. I've advised Mazda they need better documentation on how to coax USB memory stick based music to play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Reinstalling Gracenote had no effect, so it seemed to be a cache issue. But I found a fix: I formatted the drive and gave it a new volume label, then put my files back on. Then the system displayed all the info correctly. It seems that changing the volume label makes the system think it's a different drive and forces it to build up a new cache/database from scratch.

I still have no idea what made it fail in the first place, but at least I have a fix.
I have just joined this forum so I could thank vondiesel for this. A couple of weeks ago my USB music library went all Unknown Artist on me out of the blue. It was making me crazy, so thanks for the workaround!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I found another workaround. I pulled the thumb drive out in the middle of a song playing. I don't know if it caused the cache to be cleared or some other routine to happen but it seemed to work.

I have a 2015 and I'm on the 55 release btw.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top