2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 iTouring. The USB port has quit working...no power supplied to a device and no music can played with it. The aux phono jack still works. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know if that raised panel in the console that has the USB and aux jack can be removed to look for a plug to the wiring harness that may have come off?

Do these kind of electrical items present problems on a Mazda3? My first Mazda3. Wondering if I made a mistake buying something with so much fluff. The steering wheel at night is a Christmas Tree of buttons. I do like the handling and the power of the SkyActiv engine/6 spd auto trans combo. But do NOT want a service bay queen. I will have to take vacation time at work to get anything looked at.

Thanks in Advance for any constructive comments,
Mitch

·
Registered
394 Posts
Definitely not a "bay queen" very reliable IMO. Just get into the glove box where the plug is and start taking it apart until you find the wire for it and see if its plugged in or frayed/broken or grounded somewhere. Also around the shift knob and cup holders, they just pull right off and you can see everything down in there and could follow the wires back to the glove box from there to locate your problem. Should be a fairly easy fix.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I feel that the USB not working is probably because I pushed some button, selected some feature or otherwise did something scrolling through all the options, THAT TURNED OFF THE USB. I was hoping someone had experienced this before or heard how to get the option back online. It looks like originally it would come up if there was a USB device attached. But the way it quit working suddenly after I was showing my daughter some of the features, I suspect an operator issue. Which will not be warranty. Which will mean I have to take off work losing vacation time AND pay to wait in the waiting room for a long time for the pleasure of finding out what I did. Not something that will endear the car or dealership to me. So I'm searching for an alternative.

Thanks again for any input. I'll look and see if I see a fuse somewhere that could be blown. There is a lot of junk in the center console and may have bumped the USB drive causing a short just before I arrived home when I last worked. Again, both USB devices work properly on a laptop...so no data corruption. Anyone know where fuses are on this car??

Mitch

·
The tennerican!
683 Posts
Read the manual. You do know service department is open on saturdays.ive had over 10 mazdas in my 38 years and every problem I had with them has been my fault.none of those cars saw a dealership after they were bought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Read the manual. You do know service department is open on saturdays.ive had over 10 mazdas in my 38 years and every problem I had with them has been my fault.none of those cars saw a dealership after they were bought.
I have read and reread the manual...at least the sections on the audio system. Also the quick-start guide. I've asked the Sales dept to put me in touch with someone who really understands the audio system...but never got any contact. After thinking about it, why would Mazda put the capacity to turn off the USB port? Why have the extra circuitry?
I popped the panel with the USB and the Aux input out of the console looking for a loose connector. It is rather large and was securely connected to the wiring harness. So unless there is a wiring issue further upstream, the large USB/Aux box may be the issue. It is so large and has a thick cable bundle going to it. I suspect that it does a lot of processing itself.

Thanks for the idea about Saturday...I was not aware that they were open. My 2005 Toyota (178,000 miles) and 2009 Toyota (172,000 miles) never saw the inside of a dealership either...that is why I am so disappointed in Mazda at the moment. I drive over 35K miles a year, so reliability is extremely important. I certainly hope the skyactiv drivetrain is not this flakey. So far, the iTouring flat outruns the two Corollas and is getting the same gas mileage...33mpg. I was pleased that the average fuel economy on the info display agreed with the actual mileage at the pump this morning...and hope the mpg will go up some after break-in (610 miles so far) and I quit stomping it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
interesting. mine quit working today. car is 2 weeks old. just stopped giving power for no apparent reason. Did you ever figure yours out?

·
Registered
199 Posts
USB is a very simple connection, I don't see a usb port just going bad for no reason after a short period of time. It would be more likely that the device your are plugging into it has the problem. Have you made sure that the stereo is set to USB mode? Have you spilled any liquids into the usb port? Have you tried the device in a computer's usb port?

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok, i found out what was going on.

If you have bluetooth connected, the USB MUST BE CONNECTED PRIOR to turning on the car. For some reason, having my bluetooth connected disables the USB function. No idea why.

·
Registered
199 Posts

If you have bluetooth connected, the USB MUST BE CONNECTED PRIOR to turning on the car. For some reason, having my bluetooth connected disables the USB function. No idea why.
Strange, but good to know. Thanks for troubleshooting it for us =)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Troubleshooting

Hi. I've been lurking for a while hoping someone would have the same problem I have.

I tried the USB-connected-before-starting-the-car fix on my 2014 Mazda3 to no avail. I still have 128 useless gigs of music on a USB memory stick that I can't use in my car. It sucks because if one shells out for a brand new car one should expect prime functionality with technology as old and established as USB...no?

At any rate, this is an update to this thread. This problem persists in the 2014 line of Mazdas, and Mazda has been most unhelpful with any kind of troubleshooting viz a viz this issue.

Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of this issue yet?

Does Mazda actually read these forums, or is this just a sort of customer-service farce?

If Mazda does read these posts I challenge them to contact me and get this issue solved...but we all know how THAT'S going to turn out.

·
Registered
752 Posts

my 2013 does not do this. I usb my I pad "sometimes while driving down the road" for audio and bluetooth my phone for well being a phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know if anyone will see this or not, but I've had the same issue. I know that I've been able to charge my phone off of the USB and then one day it stopped working. The other day I was with my buddy and he had brought some music on a USB drive. I connected it and it would not show up. I toggled through the AUX options, but it would not switch over to USB. So, I plugged my own USB drive in and it didn't even light up. I took it in to the dealership and they said that it was not a feature designed for the car. I checked the manual and it is. Called Mazda USA and complained about it and they referred me to the Bluetooth Hands Free support line and the guy there said that no USB drives are officially supported. I still think something is wrong with it, but I am going to do a final test with an iPod tonight to be absolutely sure. Might have to get the service manager and Mazda USA involved again...

·
The New CWP 3
496 Posts
Hi. I've been lurking for a while hoping someone would have the same problem I have.

I tried the USB-connected-before-starting-the-car fix on my 2014 Mazda3 to no avail. I still have 128 useless gigs of music on a USB memory stick that I can't use in my car. It sucks because if one shells out for a brand new car one should expect prime functionality with technology as old and established as USB...no?

At any rate, this is an update to this thread. This problem persists in the 2014 line of Mazdas, and Mazda has been most unhelpful with any kind of troubleshooting viz a viz this issue.

Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of this issue yet?

Does Mazda actually read these forums, or is this just a sort of customer-service farce?

If Mazda does read these posts I challenge them to contact me and get this issue solved...but we all know how THAT'S going to turn out.
This site is a bunch of mazda 3 owners or previous owners that help everyone out with how-to's and such, Mazda as the corporation does not read this to my knowledge.

This should be moved to the 2014 section as that will help you find other 2014 owners that might know something! @Frnchplayr15 ???

·
Registered
243 Posts
in case there's other idiots out there like me . . . .

my ipod stopped being recognized thru the usb port, no power. checked fuses, checked ipod with same usb wire connector in home pc with no problem. aux outlet worked, wtf . . . . turned out to be the usb wire connector itself, even though the same connector works thru home pc and every other farking device i hooked it to it does not work in the car now. new connector and it has power again.

moral of the story, the usb wiring connector itself can be a hor. be careful handing them and try not to use cheap ones

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2016 Mazda 6 and had the issue of the USB console ports getting sketchy and then outright not identifying my flash drives at all. It HAD used them both, one was the Windows 10 "ExFAT" the other "FAT32" formats. For whatever reason they just stopped working.

I pulled and reset the interior R.Outlet and F.Outlet fuses and for the hell of it the Audio and Outlet fuses under the hood. Put in the FAT32 drive and it worked perfectly in both ports. However it no longer read the drive w the exFAT partition, so I partitioned it w FAT32 via the command line and dropped about 30GB of music on it and trying it played perfectly again.

I had also tried turning off the bluetooth as had been suggested, to no avai. I also did a factory reset through the infotainment system itself and also tried the reset by holding the back+Nav+Mute until the screen reset. None of these worked (for me). The reseating of the fuses did it for me, I can't explain why unless its a short elsewhere and moving the cables getting into the box did it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts