2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody have issues using an iphone 5s connected at USB 1 or 2?

I'm using google maps or waze from my phone connected to the standard usb ports (usb1 or usb2) and playing music, but, I notice that que power is veeeery low, because, is imposible to charge the phone, In fact, the battery is discharged slowly
I read the operation manual, and it said that the max amps is 1.000 mA. I'm confused.
Has anyone had this problem?

Polcho!

·
Keeper of the Index
68 Posts
I think the output is closer to .5a. I believe the iPhone 5S needs 1a, maybe even 1.5. Most new android phones are like 2a.

Unfortunately I don't think you can really charge any phone via usb, and will have to buy/use a car charger that uses the 12v circular socket.

·
DrivingDoc
74 Posts
I think the output is closer to .5a. I believe the iPhone 5S needs 1a, maybe even 1.5. Most new android phones are like 2a.

Unfortunately I don't think you can really charge any phone via usb, and will have to buy/use a car charger that uses the 12v circular socket.
i am using that exact setup. but since its a hassle i just put all my music in a usb and use the 12v to charge. if i need music from the iPhone 5s i use the bluetooth connection since the new v55 improved the sound quality. wish there was something that could combine data and power from two sources into one.

·
Keeper of the Index
68 Posts
i am using that exact setup. but since its a hassle i just put all my music in a usb and use the 12v to charge. if i need music from the iPhone 5s i use the bluetooth connection since the new v55 improved the sound quality. wish there was something that could combine data and power from two sources into one.
yeah it's a real shame/pain in the neck to not be able to charge through USB. I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a charger & mount myself. I guess I'll need a long charging cable and a vent mount...

·
DrivingDoc
74 Posts
yeah it's a real shame/pain in the neck to not be able to charge through USB. I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a charger & mount myself. I guess I'll need a long charging cable and a vent mount...
i use an ac charge(12V kind) and a Kenu AirFrame. when i need charging i plug it in and leave it in the cup holder when i need nav i can just slide it into the airframe that attached to the ac vent. very elegant and minimal look. also you can do both nav and charge while mounted to the Airframe but the phone will be tilted but the phone holder is good enough to still hold it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm pretty sure the USB ports in the car are standard USB v2 ports. This would put the power at .5A. If, by chance, they're USB 3, then it'd be .9A. Technically, you can charge your device on them, it will probably just charge slowly. And yes, they charge slowly... I've used them for my phone many times. If your phone comes with a beefier wall charger, that's fine, it won't kill your phone to use the ports in the car. It will just "trickle charge". I've seen many rapid chargers at 2.4A and those will charge your phone pretty freaking fast.

the only catch is using a old phone on the high output ports/plugs/chargers can be bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts