2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it, cars with a CD player have the usb/aux/sd interface in the storage bin, while non-CD cars have it under the climate control. Two questions:

1) Is it possible to use a hub to add multiple usb drives (more than 2)?

2) Could I theoretically add that interface panel in both locations? Is the wiring there regardless of where the interface is in any particular car? Would it recognize the additional ports as additional sources?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't be 100% sure on this, however I think a hub will work given what I've been learning and experiencing so far.
Something to keep in mind regarding a Hub is the power requirements of the connected USB devices. Mazda specs state each port is only capable of delivering 1A of power each. If you were to split that into 4 ports instead of 2, you would still be meeting the USB standard of 0.5A (500mA) for each port, assuming each port is capable of delivering the promised 1A simultaneously.
I would test this myself, however the only hubs I have are powered and therefore would not work. I have seen some that are able to use a seperate, external power source.

As far as the wiring and relocation, just look for an electrical diagram with a pin-out in the service manual. Look at the harness that connects to the CD area in both CD and non CD-equipped cars. If you wanted to be super fancy you could fairly easily remotely locate the ports wherever you'd like by making a simple molex-style connector, the pin-out for the existing connector and some time. Your local electronics hobby shop should have empty molex-connectors of all types and the associagted tools to punch the wires in correctly. Armed with that you can either lengthen the harness, or split it, to add optional ports, I would however place a switch to ensure only one set of ports or the other can be used at any given time, as you can't simply T-off the existing USB to add more ports, that's not how USB controllers work, lol.

As far as being natively recognized, I haven't yet been able to look at the scripts for the Infotainment in-depth yet, I;ve only had this car a few days, but I'm sure a few of these guys have and it simply comes down to whether the OS/controller is able to support more than 2 devices at once. As far as being able to access it natively through the existing GUI, assuming the controller chip can handle additional connections without issue, and the OS will allow them to be recognized, it should be a simple matter of modifying the current scripts that list potential USB connections and adding new entries pointed to the additional ports you've added or write a procedural script that will add or removve entries dynamically according to how many USB devices are connected at any given time.

I'll definitely be curious to see where this all goes and how it turns out if you end up pursuing this further, I've got some fun ideas of my own I'd like to play around with in the near future :D

Best of luck, hope that was helpful, I'll try to edit this post or add more if I'm able to start playing around with the USB coding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts