2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2017 Mazda3 Grand Touring.

First annoyance: I can't figure out how to shuffle by album (within a playlist, and as opposed to by song), using my 160 GB iPod Classic.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

It also takes an extremely long time to load the playlists so I can even get to the root menu, though I admit it's 160GB of music and full. My 2011 Hyundai loads the same iPod much more quickly, and also has "random" (by song) and "random album" mode for playback.

·
Registered
10 Posts

First annoyance: I can't figure out how to shuffle by album (within a playlist, and as opposed to by song), using my 160 GB iPod Classic.

It also takes an extremely long time to load the playlists so I can even get to the root menu, though I admit it's 160GB of music and full. My 2011 Hyundai loads the same iPod much more quickly, and also has "random" (by song) and "random album" mode for playback.
Honestly, I'm amazed you got your iPod to work at all. I have a 2014 Mazda CX9 and modded 240GB iPod Classic, which worked fine in 2013 Civic -- including shuffle by album (albeit, involuntarily rebooting every week or two), and I could never get it loaded in the CX9. Ended up opting for a USB drive instead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I'm amazed you got your iPod to work at all. I have a 2014 Mazda CX9 and modded 240GB iPod Classic, which worked fine in 2013 Civic -- including shuffle by album (albeit, involuntarily rebooting every week or two), and I could never get it loaded in the CX9. Ended up opting for a USB drive instead.
Arrgh. Why can't they fix that? Anyway, if my 160GB iPod takes 10+ mins to load the index, I can only imagine a 240GB one.

Meanwhile, any tips on managing a USB drive with a lot of music? Folder organization, playlist generation?* Especially how to shuffle by album vs shuffle by song within a playlist.

For the copying from iTunes and playlist generation, I'm using M3Unify for the time being. Cumbersome but works for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use MediaMonkey to sync music to the thumb drive, since iTunes still doesn't support FLAC. It does the job, though can be a pain at times. Folders are organized as
--Genre/
-----Artist/
----------Album/
---------------01-Track1.mp3
---------------01-Track2.mp3
etc

MazdaConnect takes forever to index it, but accessing/navigating by folder is available right away. One of the problems is that Mazda by default attempts to play files in file system order, not in alphabetical order. There are options which can reorg the drive to make the two match (YAFS, DriveSort, etc), or AIO hacks have an option to change how MazdaConnect handles things. All in all, it's workable -- the pet peeves are the speed (seems to be better after people disable Gracenote, which I haven't been able to do so far), and the fact that it'd start from the first song of the drive after restarting the car every few days to weeks.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Hi there
I have a full 160gb ipod classic and also an almost full 256gb ipod classic with an SD card conversion and I have found both to be very reliable with the MZD firmware especially since EU 56 firmware onwards

I used to experience very long waits of 10mins or more (until the Gracenote loaded message appeared) before I could fully access the music

In order to allow immediate access to Album Artist and Song lists I have developed a routine which is 100% successful even though I have no idea why it works.

I have about 50 Playlists on my iPod and I have found that if I immediately select Playlist and then any Playlist (Last 200 played usually in my case) - no need to actually start any music playing - AS MY FIRST INTERACTION WITH THE IPOD AFTER EACH ENGINE START when accessing the iPod then the Artist, Album or Song Lists are immediately accessible without the interminable Wait Cursor.

It is important to wait for the Alphabet list on the right to appear (2-10 secs) before attempting to scroll through any of the Album Artist or Song Lists.

Try this - I hope it works for you as well as it works for me

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I immediately select Playlist and then any Playlist (Last 200 played usually in my case) - no need to actually start any music playing - AS MY FIRST INTERACTION WITH THE IPOD AFTER EACH ENGINE START when accessing the iPod then the Artist, Album or Song Lists are immediately accessible without the interminable Wait Cursor.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have no idea how you do that. The "Root" menu (from which you get to the Playlists menu) is inaccessable for me until the thing loads the playlists. It's just greyed out. So there's no chance of selecting Playlists.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also use an ipod classic, on my 2017 CX-3 Sport Nav, although only have ~70GB of music. I haven't found any issues with the load time, on first connection it took about 30 seconds to generate the a-z list but after that can select different artists or tracks with no delay. As Pav99 suggested it may work better with newer firmware, my car came with 56, but now running 59.00.449

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have no idea how you do that. The "Root" menu (from which you get to the Playlists menu) is inaccessable for me until the thing loads the playlists. It's just greyed out. So there's no chance of selecting Playlists.
Ah Ok

I think your iPod is being recognised as a USB device rather than an Apple Device. Your Source list should say Apple Device. If it says USB iPod or similar then I suggest you try doing an iPod Restore from within iTunes

HTH

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah Ok

I think your iPod is being recognised as a USB device rather than an Apple Device. Your Source list should say Apple Device. If it says USB iPod or similar then I suggest you try doing an iPod Restore from within iTunes
Thanks for this. Just coming back to this forum after getting some time to deal with this and other issues.

What it says is USB 1 <Name of Device>. So you're saying it should say Apple Device? you know this is an iPod Classic right? I have done firmware restores on this in the not so distant past, and it's functioning for other purposes, so I'm a bit remiss to try this for this. But if you think that would help, I could give it a go. I'm thinking of getting the hard drive replaced with an SSD.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,340 Posts
The iPod Classic will play the same as a USB drive when plugged in via USB.

My 160GB iPod classic loads very quickly (10-20 secs. maybe), with no problems at all. It was the same on my previous 2016 Mazda 3.

Cleaning up the ID3 tags on the files may help with load time. Make sure the files do not have more than one ID3 tag and that all of the tags are the same version. Preferably version 2.3. iTunes can convert the ID3 tags for you into a single version. For iTunes version 12 or higher you need to highlight the files and select File in the upper left and "Convert ID3 Tags."
CK

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The iPod Classic will play the same as a USB drive when plugged in via USB.

My 160GB iPod classic loads very quickly (10-20 secs. maybe), with no problems at all. It was the same on my previous 2016 Mazda 3.

Cleaning up the ID3 tags on the files may help with load time. Make sure the files do not have more than one ID3 tag and that all of the tags are the same version. Preferably version 2.3. iTunes can convert the ID3 tags for you into a single version. For iTunes version 12 or higher you need to highlight the files and select File in the upper left and "Convert ID3 Tags."
CK
Thanks. Would iTunes 12x show if there was more than one ID3 tag in the track's info > file dialog box?

Because if so, a spot check shows most of the tracks are vers. 2.3 or 2.4. I've got an insanely large library, so that process would take forever. I'm pretty meticulous about my tagging, but some files do go back decades. But even those with mod. dates as early as 2002 have ID3 tags vers 2.2 or 2.3.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,340 Posts
iTunes does not have a function to show if more than one tag is present and I'm not familiar with any Mac programs that can do it.

I would convert all of the ID3 tags to version 2.3. That should help improve the load time some.
CK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts