2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INFOTAINMENT USB ISSUE

Hello-

I have recently tagged all of my songs properly (or so I believe) using Media Monkey and for a handful Mp3tag editor. All of these song reside on a 64Gb PNY flash drive that I usually leave plugged into USB port 1. After loading the flash drive and plugging into the port 1, all albums we're showing up. I have pulled the flash drive out out and plugged back in to add music as I acquire more music. I have done this several times. For some reason, the act of pulling out and plugging back in the flash drive causes the album art work not to show up anymore. I have used the window explorer to verify that the artwork is still there by clicking on many of the songs. Also verified in both Media Monkey and Mp3tag. The album art appears in the lower left hand corner in windows so I know it is there. Has anyone else had this where album art suddenly stops showing up?

Other issues I have found: A few album artists will show up with a leading question mark, such as, Sammy Hagar will show up as ?ammy Hagar at the end of the list. This album with the question mark will also contain about one song in it. Has anyone seen this issue?

Another issue: One artist/album/songs just not showing at all. Anyone had this issue?

The Infotainment version is v27. My file structure is as follows. Music/Artist/Albums/Songs. Flash drive has about 30Gbs of music. All songs we're converted to Tag ID3V2.

It is possible it could be the flash drive but not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had an issue with a microSD card that gave me issues. It played fine at first, but then when I started the car again, the album art was fine, but all songs, artists, and album info all came up as unknown. Every once in a while too, only half of the album art would show up. I think it had to do with the USB device that was plugged in. I'm still testing for one that doesn't freeze up on me.

And I don't find that it makes a difference wether it's plugged into slot 1 or 2, artwork shows up fine for me in both.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you plugging it into the USB drive #2 (the one closer to the back of the car?)
No. I am using the front one. The front one has always worked. At a point where the front USB did not work, the second one also did not work. I have heard that your supposed to use the one in the back but that cannot be true, otherwise the one closer to the front would not have worked.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

I went to the dealer yesterday and had the Infotainment up dated to V31. All my album art is back using the first USB port. Only one problem remains. I have about 12 artists/albums that still show up with the leading question mark i.e. Sammy Hagar show up as ?ammy Hagar. In the Sammy Hagar folder appears only one song. The rest of the songs in the album reside under the proper artist/album.
I spent some time comparing and investigating tags to try to see if I could find a commonality between all the songs that appear under the artist that begins with a question mark? At first I thought that slashes, brackets or other character was the issue but I there are too many titles that do have them and appear correctly attached to the correct artist. My next guess was that maybe the title is too long but this morning I found examples that blow that theory out of the water.

Since there seems to be no one else (or maybe to early still for people to find this thread) chiming in on this thread, I can only assume that no one else is experiencing the "?" issue. This leads me to believe that it must still be a tag issue not visible to me.

Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I know, I had the same issues. Mine worked in both when I got the car, but after one of the S/W updates (don't remember when) the front USB wouldn't display any artwork..... the engineer from Mazda was at the dealer and told me that slot #1 is used for S/W updates and Slot #2 is used for Media (in the mazda owners manual as well) don't know what page.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know, I had the same issues. Mine worked in both when I got the car, but after one of the S/W updates (don't remember when) the front USB wouldn't display any artwork..... the engineer from Mazda was at the dealer and told me that slot #1 is used for S/W updates and Slot #2 is used for Media (in the mazda owners manual as well) don't know what page.
There is nothing in the manual about USB only using slot 2 for media, actually on page 5-73 it says you can select either for playback. Unless you're reading it somewhere else?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I dont recall exactly. The engineer from Japan who took my car to Mazda Canada's HO for an investigation on the infotainment system told me that slot 1 will not always display tags (grace notes).
Anyway, seems that this cars infotainment system is wacked so what works for one may not work for all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had the '?' issue as well. When I took the USB stick back to a PC and investigated it appeared that the MP3 Tags for those tracks had been stripped out. Can't work out how that happened. But put them back and now all okay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had the '?' issue as well. When I took the USB stick back to a PC and investigated it appeared that the MP3 Tags for those tracks had been stripped out. Can't work out how that happened. But put them back and now all okay.

Ok, I went back and re-tagged the 36 albums (didn't realize there we're that many) that had the question mark issue and fixed most. There are only 4 left that seem to be pretty stubborn. I can live with that or when I have time I will tinker with them to see if I can get the tags to work. Looking at the tags though, there is nothing visible to me in either Media Monkey or mp3tag that stands out.

Thanks for the suggestion to re-tagg.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

My 5,000 songs are now 100% complete and all artwork shows up correctly. There were a few artist names missing from the tags which is why they we're not showing up. However, I'd like to note some quirks that I can say are undoubtedly faults of the infotainment system. I'll just note the quirks and leave it at that for discussion or input in case other have seen this.

1) My KISS folder with all albums in it appeared twice from the artist menu even though there was only one folder. The first folder was labelled KISS while the second folder was labelled Kiss. This appears one time as I scrolled through the artists but disappeared and self corrected after the next time I turn off and turn the vehicle back on.

2) An artist called Little Angels continued to show up as Little Axe instead. It read that way several vehicle off and on's with short drives. This too, self corrected.

3) Artist that previously we're showing up correctly with any issues suddenly appeared at the end of the artist list with the question mark at the beginning. The example was Rush. It showed up as ?ush with one song in the folder. It self corrected as well.

It seems the infotainment might be temperamental but at least I appear to have 100% working for now. If I notice other oddities, I'll come back and add those here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Issue # 2 is back.

2) An artist called Little Angels continued to show up as Little Axe instead. It read that way several vehicle off and on's with short drives. This too, self corrected.

This issue is back and has not self corrected. Alll tags are present and correct so this is an issue with the Infotainment.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Issue # 2 is back.

This issue is back and has not self corrected. Alll tags are present and correct so this is an issue with the Infotainment.
I don't know if it is the case here, but this sure sounds like a cache issue. The system does not re-read your entries every time -- it creates a cache and then reads that. Those caches can become corrupted. That's why I always recommend resetting your system every time an upgrade is done. Yes, you will lose things like favorites, but you do eliminate cache and system file issues. I both reset the system within the menu and disconnect and reconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so. In a mature system, this will be done automatically, but we have what is really a beta system in our car.

Reactions: ouc

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't know if it is the case here, but this sure sounds like a cache issue. The system does not re-read your entries every time -- it creates a cache and then reads that. Those caches can become corrupted. That's why I always recommend resetting your system every time an upgrade is done. Yes, you will lose things like favorites, but you do eliminate cache and system file issues. I both reset the system within the menu and disconnect and reconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so. In a mature system, this will be done automatically, but we have what is really a beta system in our car.
That was exactly my thought. With all the retagging, the cache really needs to be cleared and reloaded with the final version of the tags. At that point, adding something new, won't be a problem, but retagging previous items, already in the cache, could certainly create problems. It's going to read the cache, not the retagged item. It's really the only way to explain why the system is showing "axe", which was previously loaded and now deleted, and not "angel" which is on the updated tag now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ok thanks, I will give this a try, reset and disconnect the battery. I'll turn on the headlights to make sure absolute power drain occurrs.

I'll report back after testing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I reset to factory setting, disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour and issue # 2 continues.

Possible that there is something in the tags not visible to me but more likely the infotainment is not reading right for some unknown reason.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I reset to factory setting, disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour and issue # 2 continues.

Possible that there is something in the tags not visible to me but more likely the infotainment is not reading right for some unknown reason.
If you cleared the cache, and all other songs appear correct, then it must be in the tagging of that song. The system wouldn't replace one word with another that it liked better. Haha It had to have gotten that info from somewhere. Carefully check the tag info, on that song, to make sure everything is correct. I used MP3tag and ID version 2.3, with success, if that's any help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you cleared the cache, and all other songs appear correct, then it must be in the tagging of that song. The system wouldn't replace one word with another that it liked better. Haha It had to have gotten that info from somewhere. Carefully check the tag info, on that song, to make sure everything is correct. I used MP3tag and ID version 2.3, with success, if that's any help.
thanks you. I have checked and quadruple checked tags and all appears ok.

Yesterday on my commute home, I noticed an Alice Cooper album suddenly was not displaying the album art. It worked before and I also verified that it was still there when looking in windows. It is, just not displaying on the infotainment. This system is just too finicky. I think at this point I've exhausted all avenues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I believe that you have to wait for the system to fully load. I notice that if I drive off before, the album art does not display if it's boot up is to resume USB mp3 playing (rest by NAV + BACK + MUTE while driving fixed it). I have v29 with disabled speed limitations and short disclaimer time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts