2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Thanks for the reviews. I skimmed briefly and need to read further. Looking forward to more real world reviews as well. Definitely, seems they added a few driving comfort features which are included from their other cars, but the one thing that caught my eye in one of the reviews is they completely deactivated the screen for any touch...I guess that means including park. Not a love story nor do I get the logic as explained.

this accounts for the MSRP jump in the states vs other markets. There is no 2.0 engine this year in the US market, only the 2.5. In Canada, Europe, Australia and other markets the MSRP jump from 2018 to 2019 won't be as large because they still sell the smaller engine there.

Thanks for the reviews. I skimmed briefly and need to read further. Looking forward to more real world reviews as well. Definitely, seems they added a few driving comfort features which are included from their other cars, but the one thing that caught my eye in one of the reviews is they completely deactivated the screen for any touch...I guess that means including park. Not a love story nor do I get the logic as explained.
The logic as explained by Mazda: Touch screens are distracting while driving since there is no tactile button that can be found without looking, the screen is higher up and further away from the driver making it harder to reach, but putting it in a sight line that allows you to reference the screen while still seeing the road while driving.

The prices are crazy here in he u.s. because a lot of people don't know how to do their homework and negotiate a better deal. I bought a 2018 Mazda 3 sedan 6 speed for under $17k including taxes freight etc
The dealership wanted close to $22k yeah right let some other moron that doesn't know any better pay that price
I see a lot of people in Vancouver Canada with the same car as mine I don't think I have seen anyone driving a hatchback in Canada yet

this accounts for the MSRP jump in the states vs other markets. There is no 2.0 engine this year in the US market, only the 2.5. In Canada, Europe, Australia and other markets the MSRP jump from 2018 to 2019 won't be as large because they still sell the smaller engine there.
Here are some comments on the differences between Mazda US and Mazda Canada. I found the Canada Manual take rate very interesting.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...very-different-situation-north-of-the-border/

According to Sandra Lemaitre, Mazda Canada’s PR and corporate affairs director, the manual transmission take rate for 2018 Mazda 3s amounted to 14 percent for sedans and 21 percent for hatchbacks. Like with the Canadian-market 2019 Chevrolet Cruze, enough Canucks still enjoy rowing their own to warrant stick availability.

“In Canada, the compact car is one of the more price sensitive segments,” she continued, “and being mindful of these segment realities we have a well-contented entry trim with our manual transmission and 2.0L engine available, allowing us to offer an attainable entry point into our brand, while still offering high trims and packages with a heightened premium execution for those who want it.”

The logic as explained by Mazda: Touch screens are distracting while driving since there is no tactile button that can be found without looking, the screen is higher up and further away from the driver making it harder to reach, but putting it in a sight line that allows you to reference the screen while still seeing the road while driving.
Oh I hear you and how Mazda explained their logic but it makes no sense particularly completely deactivating screen when the car is stopped and placed in park. I suspect most drivers who mount their phones, mount them below the screen (and even on the console) and thus will end up looking down anyway while they are driving...even with AA/CP since those buttons are deactivated. Also, unless the driver is keeping their fingers on specific buttons on the steering wheel full time, then I suspect the driver will need to look down at the steering wheel to use those functions. All I'm getting at with my real world experience is Mazda is far from resolving distracted driving by completely deactivating the screen. Voice commands...that equates to having a distracted conversation with a passenger. How many functions and settings in the car these days do we use while we are driving which are distracting us anyway...a lot more than we did 10 or 15 years ago.

Can Automakers Be Held Liable for In-Car Distractions?

Because there is no law governing the content and use of in-car instruments, are automakers shielded from liability if their tools ultimately contribute to a crash?

While there are many conditions affecting results, the short answer is, not necessarily.

Court results involving in-car distractions are constantly developing and these precedents will affect all future litigation.

As lawsuits continue to emerge the precedent pool will grow and outcomes can be better anticipated.

Here are some comments on the differences between Mazda US and Mazda Canada. I found the Canada Manual take rate very interesting.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...very-different-situation-north-of-the-border/

According to Sandra Lemaitre, Mazda Canada’s PR and corporate affairs director, the manual transmission take rate for 2018 Mazda 3s amounted to 14 percent for sedans and 21 percent for hatchbacks. Like with the Canadian-market 2019 Chevrolet Cruze, enough Canucks still enjoy rowing their own to warrant stick availability.

“In Canada, the compact car is one of the more price sensitive segments,” she continued, “and being mindful of these segment realities we have a well-contented entry trim with our manual transmission and 2.0L engine available, allowing us to offer an attainable entry point into our brand, while still offering high trims and packages with a heightened premium execution for those who want it.”
Great article. Thanks for sharing. How can we import these to the US?

2018 leases are still full price. Dealers are nuts. I asked if they realize the new model would be out next month and they said they don’t know when they’re coming in.
Sorry, need to learn how to negotiate.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.