2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Proud new owner of a pretty sweet (IMO) 2015 hatchback here. I just bought the car a few days ago and haven't been able to smog it just yet due to it having a cold air intake on it that isn't CA legal. I have about 5 days left before the DMV will start charging me late fees and I have yet to find any store near me that has one in stock or can get it to me in time. If there is anyone in the SF Bay Area (Preferably East Bay) that would be willing to let me borrow their OEM or CARB legal intake for just a few hours in exchange for a bit of cash or a round of tacos I'd be very grateful. Or if anyone happens to know anywhere that has one in stock I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for the help, I'm looking forward to cruising through the rest of these forums and will probably start making a few mods on the car pretty soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm aware of that, however, it just wasn't feasible at the time. I was traveling and it was a bit of a spontaneous sale. We didn't have enough time to smog it and the seller gave me a chunk off of the price to offset the trouble.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Check the junkyards and buy an OEM that fits the model. I'd suggest you install it and leave it on. The aftermarket cold air intakes generally are a hot mess anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the junkyards and buy an OEM that fits the model. I'd suggest you install it and leave it on. The aftermarket cold air intakes generally are a hot mess anyway.
I've been keeping an eye out in the junkyards, nobody seems to have one at the moment. Looks like I might need to get one from the dealership for more than $500 😬

·
Registered
797 Posts
I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for that. I wonder what folks do with their old OEM when buying a "cold air" special?

I'm having a hard time figuring why CA would have problems with a frikkin AIR FILTER!? I'd think that if they look real hard, they'd be able to find bigger problems to fix in that progressive city. :-/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for that. I wonder what folks do with their old OEM when buying a "cold air" special?

I'm having a hard time figuring why CA would have problems with a frikkin AIR FILTER!? I'd think that if they look real hard, they'd be able to find bigger problems to fix in that progressive city. :-/
I agree with you there, it's overpriced, but I don't seem to have too many other options at the moment unless I can find someone who still has their OEM. Usually people around here hang onto their oem parts for smog / fix it tickets / etc., but I just haven't had any luck yet.
I definitely couldn't agree with you more. It's not exactly the greatest place to be in the car scene in that regard! I don't really have an alternative right now, so I guess I'll just have to live with it for the time being.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can start the title transfer, and pay next year’s registration, pay all the fees today, to avoid Any late fees. Then you can have a little more time to find an intake. I’m in Sacramento, but probably too far for you to use mine.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
Craigslist may be your savior.. people on there sell all sorts of cars for parts.. just saw an '05 Miata speed that was a theft recovery on Craigslist as an example.. super rare car if someone wanted to fix it up.
CK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts