2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5i Touring Hatch (5 months ago now) after puting it to the true tests of trying to fit my family in plus the dog plus simple things like groceries ive come to the sad conclusion I NEED MORE SPACE! Even when I dont have my little guy with me I race MTBs locally here and usually haul 2 bikes plus my riding gear and things get tight FAST with more then 2 people in the car.

Went down to the Subaru dealer a few times and have seriously been looking at a used outback. My family has owned 5 now (3 Outbacks, a Legacy and a Forester) and love them so im leaning towards one. HOWEVER ive learned to my surprise im seriously upside down on my car!

paid $24,250 out the door taxes, tags ect. after my trade of a 06 Xterra. only had $400 rolled from that truck onto this car so pretty much was a clean break on the X. I was told by 2 seperate dealers today that my New loaded 3 with 7,062 miles on it, is only worth 16,500 AT BEST?!?!!!? WTF OVER?! I currently still owe $23,058 on her with a 60mo 3.2% loan and really should be looking for something else more family friendly but aparently im screwed HARD. still trying to wrap my head around the Mazda being depreciated roughly 7K in 5 months!

This was my first NEW car purchase after several used vehicles and have now learned I will NEVER buy another new car. I know everyone takes a hit on a new car to a pint but 7K is nuts. Ive come to the point of sucking up my pride and stepping back and downsizing my life to better fit my new civilain life but thats just a kick in the face.

Without getting bashed (cause if you have something stupid to say save your time) any input on how to get out of this car without taking this 7K hit? anyone else have a similar issue with a Mazda in the past?
thanks for the insight in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to kbb.com and get the value of it, it'll give you retail, private party, and dealer value.

Sent from a Parallel Universe
Ive tried 3 times now over 4 days and it will not allow me to select my car. KBB only lists the 2012 3 hatch in the base model. cant select the 2.5 with my stuff on it :(

only upgrade to the car is 20% tint all around, tow package (to hual my bikes) and plasti dipped badges all around.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Yeah there screwed up but MTBM3 try another dealer

·
Hella-gone
416 Posts
Sell it yourself to get more money for it, but you'll still be upside down.
You were upside down on thevXterra by $400 and rolled $400 into the Mazda3.
Now you still owe $1200 less than a new car, so youve paid off less than 5% of the original cost.
Depreciation is not linear... It comes on strong and slows over time. In the first year expect to loose at least 20% and most if that happens when you sign the papers.

I do think the dealer was lowballing you, but at the point you're at, selling or trading is going to be at a loss.
Take it to a carmax and let them give you a trade in price... That'll give you a baseline tat you would strive to better elsewhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you still owe $1200 less than a new car, so youve paid off less than 5% of the original cost.
Depreciation is not linear... It comes on strong and slows over time. In the first year expect to loose at least 20% and most if that happens when you sign the papers.

I do think the dealer was lowballing you, but at the point you're at, selling or trading is going to be at a loss.
Take it to a carmax and let them give you a trade in price... That'll give you a baseline tat you would strive to better elsewhere.
aight ill check out carmax for sure, forgot about those guys lol. Yea with the Xterra I owed 8K even on the Xterra with 108K miles on it, they gave me 7600 for it so I was only down 400 bucks which isnt bad at all.I sold off all my extra Off Road stuff ie High Lift Jack, sliders, safari rack, custom racks ect before and used that to buy my tint and bike rack for this Mazda. miss that truck daily, just couldnt afford fuel at 12mpgs and a tank & 1/2 a week lol had alot of work in that baby!

I agree on the lowball. Ive found 2011 SPEEDS going for 19K with 30-40K on em here. the 2012 3 sedans are running 21K here New still. I expected to take a 3-4 K hit due to the fast turn over and 2012s rolling out but Ill have to suck it up and tack it onto something I can live with better with my family.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you look in to the cx-5?
Mazda will be a bit more willing to help than any other dealer
Im actually loving the CX5 but thats looking outta my price range. they start at like what 26?' I really need to lower my payment a bit 374 a month plus insurance is kickin my tail.I would trade the 3 for that quick since it still gets mean fuel milage and has the space i need. but that still doesnt help me if im already looking to be mad upside down on this 3.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
lol my car is only worth 14,500 in excellent condition, and it's only 1 year older dude. I'm upside down too. everybody gets upside down unless they put a huge down payment

·
Registered
127 Posts
They may start at $21k, but i've never seen one on a lot for less than $26k. I guess you could always order one.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
just looked mine up cuz I was curious..

2011 Mz3 GT hatch w/ ~29,600 miles no options

KBB = $20,464 for retail
NADA = $17,450 for clean trade in; $20,150 for clean retail

At work, we use NADA over KBB to determine if a car is totaled or not so yea I'd use both. NADA also has 2012 in their database so check it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to say, that's how NEW cars work. BIG depreciation in the beginning... I tend to own my car for 4-6 years, so new works for me. Otherwise, used is the way to go. You may be able to work out a better deal with the dealer you bought the 3 from...kind of a 'trade-up' option....

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
You may be able to work out a better deal with the dealer you bought the 3 from...kind of a 'trade-up' option....
I going to one-up that and get a job as a tech at the dealer I got my 3 from :D

Sent from a rabbit hole

·
Registered
465 Posts

+1
Cars are a huge bottomless pit we keep throwing money into. But I agree

·
Registered
508 Posts
Unfortunately you've experienced what every automotive buyer experiences. Buyers remorse sucks, and your going to get progressig towards better equity in your Mazda as time goes. You have to see it like this;

A customer shopping for a new car sees prices starting at $21,000, roughly $22,500 with bose/moonroof. Current incentives which are published quite a range of places can allow for as much discount as $2500 (excluding Mazda Loyalty $500, Military appreciation $500, and Chase Employee $500).

That means, unless you had a GT, after incentives, discounts, and assuming a similar interest rate, before taxes, the new car would be $18,500 to $20,000. There isn't a way mathmatically that any dealer can give you what you paid, resell your car and make any money. Nor would a used car buyer buy your car, unless it offered dramatic savings over new, or offered some other incentive, like Certified Pre-owned.

Not to mention there is always the loss because of taxes paid on your loan balance which amount to $1500-3000 depending on your state. The only way not to be upside down is either put cash down, or pay over your loan payment to reduce your principle faster. Sorry man, it just is what it is. Keep in mind, this would be the case with any other brand of vehicle too, and likely worse with other similar cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Haven't you ever heard the expression about a cars value dropping in half as soon as you drive it off the lot? It may not be that extreme, but the dealer can only give wholesale on it, say they give you $16,500', what can they sell it for? $20k max, and that's before they get grinded down on the price. Even with under 8k miles on it, the reality is that it's still a used car. Your best bet is to sell it privately, I doubt you'll get what you owe, because someone can get a brand new one for that, maybe even less for a 2012 since they'll be blowing them out.
You have 2 options, wait, or take what they give and roll the reverse equity into the new car, and if payments are a concern, go with a new Suburu and lease it, then by the time the lease is up in 3 or 4 years, that reverse equity is gone. I had to do that myself recently, I had a 2009 CX7 that I owed more on than it was worth, I found out that my wife was having twins on top of the 3 yr old I already had. Needless to say, I needed a bigger car, so I traded in the cx7 for what they could give me and rolled the reverse equity into a Cx9 lease, my payment is actually less than I was paying before and I had a bigger car that retailed for nearly $13k more, at the end of my lease in 3 years, I'm free and clear on the Cx7.

Reactions: MTBM3

·
Registered
394 Posts
That sounds about right... That's what you get for buying a new car. I don't see how you didn't assume you'd lose minimum of $5,000 the second your front wheels touched the road outside of the dealership. The only way to not be completely upside down on a new car the second you buy it is to put like $10,000 down. I'm 21 and I already know this.. I could have told you that when I was 18, so sorry my friend, you're just another victim to what is the endless pit of a new car. They never appreciate, they won't gain value, they'll just continue to eat your money away.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts